Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Botty burps or windy pops

(70 Posts)
grannysue05 Sat 30-Sep-17 11:52:03

On another thread today phoenix mentions botty burps and windy pops (yes....I know....)
Well, these phrases are EXACTLY what my four GC's call this bodily function.
I know that all families have to give small children suitable words to describe such things.
Got me thinking about what other families use to describe things for the tinies.

BBbevan Sun 01-Oct-17 12:21:46

Craftycat ???

frankie74 Sun 01-Oct-17 12:43:54

trump, poop, let rip....they have all appeared in our family through the ages

Aslemma Sun 01-Oct-17 12:43:56

My ex husband hatted anything he considered vulgar. I remember when we were getting a new blazer for our eldest son, who said he wanted one with a "fart flap" (2 vents at the back rather than 1 central vent) his father was furious ?

Luckygirl Sun 01-Oct-17 12:53:25

I am trying to get my head round the idea that the word fart might be seen as "crude and unnecessary" - confused. Farting is pretty crude really!

Rapunzel100 Sun 01-Oct-17 13:25:04

My late dad had a terrific sense of fun and would categorise the various types of nether region eruption as fizz, fuzz, anti-fuzz, tear-arse, rattle and puff. ?

meandashy Sun 01-Oct-17 13:41:07

Farts in my house too. Don't remember them being referred to as that as a child though. We had to excuse ourselves, as we still do now.
It's just a word, I can't get hung up on words really.
My db has been with his wife 25 years. He has NEVER heard her fart! Her parents don't either! He on the hand still delights in farting and laughing about it and often blames others or the dog ?

Skynnylynny Sun 01-Oct-17 13:50:40

We call them ponks or pinky ponks. If they're really bad stinky ponks!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 01-Oct-17 15:29:17

We always called them trumps as children. Does the Donald know? I've got a sense of humour but - if that was my surname I'd change it.
My nephew in his mid 30s farts regularly and still finds it hilarious. I expect we'll be treated to a few at Christmas as we all abuse our digestive systems. He then turns to me all a-giggle (I told him once that I hardly ever fart) and asks Aunty Beige was that you? His mum (my sis) tut-tuts.

Elrel Sun 01-Oct-17 15:37:31

I remember that my mother referred to farting as passing wind.
One GD's mother insisted that the word 'fart' should not be used in front of GD. She (DiL) preferred 'trump' so we complied, right up until GD picked up the word 'fart' in school!

Elrel Sun 01-Oct-17 15:49:10

Just checked, trump has been around since the 15th century and can mean just fart or a particularly noisy fart. Well, it seems to fit POTUS.

angmhay Sun 01-Oct-17 16:39:33

We live in the States, and our granddaughters call them "toots" which I quite like?

sluttygran Sun 01-Oct-17 18:12:21

I love 'skirt rippers'! grin
My DGC usually say pops or farts, but DIL's mother who is very ladylike always says she's 'dropped her handbag'!

maddy629 Sun 01-Oct-17 18:12:26

My daughter says blow off but the rest of the family, including me and my 6 year old grandson, call them what they are, FARTS!!!

sluttygran Sun 01-Oct-17 18:14:28

PS. Yes, elrel - 'noisy fart' is a very apt description of You Know Who!

MamaCaz Sun 01-Oct-17 19:40:59

My DC (4 &6) usually call them 'bang-botties', but a few months ago, in a mischevious mood, I couldn't resist starting off the rhyme, "baked beans are good for your heart, baked beans make you ..."
I honestly didnt know if they even knew the word 'fart', but when they added the missing word without a pause , along with lots of giggling, I had my answer grin

Grandmama Sun 01-Oct-17 21:40:12

Pumping when I was a child, then 'letting off' when a bit older and then at college a student called them 'shooting bunnies'.

Heather51 Mon 02-Oct-17 10:41:14

Nanaandgrampy what a treasure Grampy is, such a gentleman! grin
Trumps in our family - although for some unknown reason parents of DGS, nearly 2, blame the squirrels when he trumps. Causes a lot of hilarity.

Nannierhubarb Tue 03-Oct-17 02:52:53

When I was very young I used to say that my bottom talked.

funstr Fri 06-Oct-17 21:50:09

my nan always said im wearing my squeaky shoes, or my chair needs oiling.