Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Botty burps or windy pops

(69 Posts)
grannysue05 Sat 30-Sep-17 11:52:03

On another thread today phoenix mentions botty burps and windy pops (yes....I know....)
Well, these phrases are EXACTLY what my four GC's call this bodily function.
I know that all families have to give small children suitable words to describe such things.
Got me thinking about what other families use to describe things for the tinies.

Alima Sat 30-Sep-17 12:42:34

DGS (5) says 'fart" then giggles. Heaven knows where he heard that. (I know, I know, tin hat time....)

Luckygirl Sat 30-Sep-17 12:51:54

Fart - they are farts - and we all call them that.

Try "Noisy Bottoms" - a great book, much loved by all my DGC.

CherryHatrick Sat 30-Sep-17 12:53:41

In our house there are two distinct types; trumps and SBDs (silent but deadly).

Swanny Sat 30-Sep-17 12:58:32

So does mine Alima but until recently it was 'fluff', as it was when DS was a child. When I was young it was always referred to as 'a rude noise' shock

Ana Sat 30-Sep-17 13:06:46

Oh, cringe and double-cringe at 'botty burps' and 'windy-pops'...

'Farts' is fine in our family. I think the GC used to say 'trump' when they were very little.

merlotgran Sat 30-Sep-17 13:09:45

It was always 'trumps' or 'pumps' when ours were small as well.

merlotgran Sat 30-Sep-17 13:10:41

I think ALL small children should be instructed to call them 'trumps' these days.

Such an appropriate word. grin

ninathenana Sat 30-Sep-17 13:20:51

merlot gringrin

GS's used to announce "my bum !" or who ever the guilty party was with great glee

grannysue05 Sat 30-Sep-17 13:58:41

Interesting choices from all.
My SIL has just retired from her long career as a teacher in the local primary school.
She says she has heard EVERYTHING....from simply twee to the faintly(frankly) obscene.
Such a laugh.
merlot your idea is the best! grin

kittylester Sat 30-Sep-17 14:07:15

I think 'trump' is common parlance with children nowadays although ours call them 'beg your pardons' after my mother heard - or smelt - one emanating from one of ours when they were small and announced 'you should say I beg your pardon'. I don't think she ever did one - she was far too lady like!! grin

annodomini Sat 30-Sep-17 14:12:53

Nothing wrong with 'fart'. it's quite onomatopoeic!

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Sep-17 14:16:07

When they were very little they called them 'pip-pips' , but all 3 little boys delight in saying 'fart' and then laughing hysterically!!

Our Grandaughter always blames the dog!

And I have trained Grampy well, IF such a thing should ever happen to me he will always say'Pardon me' and take full blame :-)

Auntieflo Sat 30-Sep-17 14:21:46

It was "fooff" in our house when we were little. ? Or at least that's how it sounded, although it could have been fluff Swanny.

merlotgran Sat 30-Sep-17 14:26:37

Years ago my mother did a rather loud one getting up from a chair during a birthday tea party. Obviously embarrassed she said, 'Oooh, I think I've ripped my skirt.' grin

From that day on 'ripping your skirt' became a family catch-phrase amongst the teenagers.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Sep-17 14:47:28

Afraid they re farts with us too Down to earth nothing twee

maryeliza54 Sat 30-Sep-17 15:11:07

Farts here as well

BBbevan Sat 30-Sep-17 15:22:04

My MiL used to call them 'trumps' ?

Luckygirl Sat 30-Sep-17 15:30:59

Is trump a British expression, or do you think he knows?!

Fairydoll2030 Sat 30-Sep-17 16:11:05

'I just did a farty fart!' (3 year old DGS)

Eloethan Sun 01-Oct-17 00:15:35

I always referred to (the admittedly rather twee expression) "windy pops" with my children and continue to do so with my grandchildren. They use the word "trump" and consequently my grandson falls about laughing each time Donald Trump is mentioned. I don't know why, but I dislike the word "fart".

BBbevan Sun 01-Oct-17 07:41:55

Must be an English expressionLuckygirl as my MiL has been dead for eleven years . She was the past master of the "trump" walking away quietly whilst one pervaded the atmosphere.?

NfkDumpling Sun 01-Oct-17 08:03:51

They're trumps or farts on my side of the family and not mentioned on His. My DM always said my DF was so polite he'd leave the room to fart.

My DGM was prone to wind in later life and particularly generous explosions would be referred to as skirt rippers.

CrazyDaisy Sun 01-Oct-17 08:10:07

My parents always called a fart a"blow off as in, "Who blew off?" when there was a noisy or smelly one.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 08:27:10

I like "blow off" not least because it sounds a bit 'carry on film'. My grandsons called it a pop when little, but now try and say "fart" as much as possible.