Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you Eat

(79 Posts)
Serkeen Fri 06-Oct-17 10:48:12

I have often wondered what a slim person eats in a day. I am 10 stone 9 but would like to loose some weight.

Yesterday for eg I ate

Breakfast 2 boiled eggs one slice brown bread seeded toasted

Lunch Baked vegetables for

Diner Angus steak burger and around six chips

Snack 7 Dates

That was quite a good day... On a bad day I would eat far too many snacks in the form of crisps and I can manage a whole bag of popcorn on my own quite happily

I usually have a 20 minute walk most days

What is a good day for you and I am soo interested in what is a bad day too smile

tonibolt Sat 07-Oct-17 08:41:54

I am slightly overweight and really struggling to shift the 10lbs or so I put on waiting for spinal surgery. I know my downfall is snacking in the evenings, so I have tried to limit that to a small treat a couple of days a week. Despite walking regularly and eating lots of fruit and veg, fish, chicken etc I just can't get the weight off. I don't eat fried foods or have fizzy drinks, I don't like them. Looking at some of the comments, perhaps my portions are too generous. Will scale back and see!

annsixty Sat 07-Oct-17 08:54:31

I am finding this thread fascinating.
I cannot believe how disciplined folk are unless they just don't like or enjoy food.
I have always enjoyed cooking and my family have always enjoyed mealtimes.
There is a saying, live to eat or eat to live. I like to think we come somewhere in the middle although now we are old and mainly housebound, my H in particular, mealtimes and the content become focal points in the day.
We have a Sunday roast 19 weeks out of 20 and a good dinner every evening.
My H has never been overweight while it is many years since I was my ideal weight ,probably 3 stone over what I should be.
Apart from "mechanical " problems and Alzheimer's we are never kill.

Victoria08 Sat 07-Oct-17 09:02:15

since replacing my Breakfast with a Nutribulit shake, I seem to have lost a lot of weight. (Unintentionally).
I put a handful of spinach or kale, half an avocado, one banana, blueberries, raspberries and usually some mixed seeds and nuts. Any fruit or veg can go in.
I am not keen on an all veg shake, they taste bitter but I'm guessing it's healthy.
G
Anyone else use one of these machines. If so, would be interested to know what you put in it and if you lost weight.

Kim19 Sat 07-Oct-17 09:18:33

I'm a snacker. Eat what I fancy when I fancy but this is really little and seldom and I've managed to lose weight (3 and half stones) slowly but surely. I very rarely eat after 1800 other than a milky drink. If I go out for lunch (happily fairly regularly at present) then that's it for the day. No breakfast, no afters other than the evening milky drink. I'm hoping to lose another half stone. Hoping..........

W11girl Sat 07-Oct-17 09:54:29

A balanced diet. No biscuits, have replaced with a handul of nuts or grapes. Open sandwiches i.e. one slice of brown seeded bread and a filling. Plenty of fruit and vegetables, go easy on the fruit however as it contains its own natural sugars. I believe in a little bit of everything. An acquaintance of mine, lost 9 stone(!) by eating only what she could fit on a side plate (not piled high I hasten to add). I tried this and balanced the protein with the carbs and it works for me.

M0nica Sat 07-Oct-17 09:57:34

I love food, love to eat, love growing my own, but learnt the hard way that overeating = overweight. I still enjoy my food, new recipes and new tastes, but just eat smaller portions.

Last weekend I spent three days outside manning an outdoor antiques stall, DD turned up with a packet of chocolate crackles, she knows my addiction to them. Over two days I scoffed the lot. I never buy them, but my family know how much I like them and buy them when we meet up. The fact that they are such an occasional treat doubles their deliciousness.

sharkgirl Sat 07-Oct-17 09:59:55

I too find this thread fascinating. I've never dieted and eat what I fancy. I interpret this as responding to what my body is asking for which yesterday included a bowl of shreddies, 2 tuna sammos with some salad, a raisin scone with butter, salmon salad, couscous and beetroot for supper and a glass of wine, the wine was unusual. The day before it was shreddies, 3 crumpets and some crisps, an apple, some greek yoghurt, a Waitrose Asian ready meal and some more crisps. Apparently I'm really healthy and have a really good resting pulse rate. I think we should all listen to our body and if it asks for fruit or cheese or ice cream just have it. I nursed my husband through 13 years of cancer until he passed away this year (far too young) and it was the only way for me to function. I'm spot on my expected weight too.

Blinko Sat 07-Oct-17 10:05:25

I'm finding this thread so helpful. I'm about 2 stones over what I was when young. I think if I just cooked for myself I could lose it, but OH likes food and plenty of it. I'm trying low carb as much as I can. I've been inspired reading these posts. Thanks everyone flowers

BBbevan Sat 07-Oct-17 10:22:03

Well I listened to my body sharkgirl but it didn't tell me I was heading for diabetes. I was mortified when diagnosed and have now reversed it. I still long for crisps etc but eat carbs very , very occasionally.

libra10 Sat 07-Oct-17 10:32:56

A good day for me starts with a tangerine for breakfast, lunch - home made herby tomato soup, or some other concoction. Salad and boiled egg for tea, with two rounds of bread spread with Philadelphia. A treat a night is a bag of Seabrook crisps.

A bad day would be fish and chips from the local takeaway, or a really bad day would be a meat and potato pie, followed by a delicious ice cream bun, bought from the local bakery.

Too easily tempted these days, need some will-power!

inishowen Sat 07-Oct-17 10:47:12

Maybe this is too much?

2 slices of toast.
A sandwich with cheese and pickle.
3 cups of tea.
Chicken and vegetable wrap.
Large glass of white wine.

That was yesterday. I'm around 14.7 lbs. I don't think I eat too much. Some days I have fruit, but not yesterday.

BRedhead59 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:06:23

I don't buy it and then I don't eat it - but if someone else buys it I have zero willpower for crisps and salty snacks.
I don't like shop cake but if I make a cake for visitors I finish it off. I eat it all quickly to get rid of it so I'm not tempted!!!
I give chocolates that have arrived as presents to others - easy.
I limit myself to two slices of bread only per day (usually lunch)and try to eat fewer potatoes than previously. I eat less meat than previously and quite a bit of fish and lots of veg
Porridge with fruit for breakfast every day.
I try to walk 10,000 steps a day usually managed with my dog + gardening.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Oct-17 11:13:08

Perhaps I'm just a greedy pig, but I'm amazed by how little some of you eat!

Are you Mrs Pepperpot, inishowen? wink

MissAdventure Sat 07-Oct-17 11:16:10

Same for me. My body tells me to eat three meals (and some snacks in between) I couldn't class a piece of fruit as a meal. Probably why I'm overweight.

Legs55 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:16:53

I am well over my "ideal" weight, I have Epilepsy & am Type 2 Diabetic, I also have Mobility problems making exercise difficult.

I was advised when I was diagnosed as Diabetic that most of us need to cut our portion size which I have done by using a salad plate rather than a dinner plate. Also only 2 portions of fruit a day (natural sugars), too many people think lots of fruit is healthy but veg is better for you apart from parsnips, beetroot & sweetcorn which have a high sugar content.

For Breakfast I have a small glass of fruit juice, weak Marmite drink x 2 & bowl of Porridge with fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc) for breakfast, I do add a little bit of syrup as I find the fruit a bit sharp without.

Lunch is usually salad in summer & soup (preferably home made) & fresh bread (from Bakery) followed by coffee with semi-skimmed but I need 2 tsps sugar in it hmm.

Evening meal is usually chicken, 2 small potatoes & lots of veg. I may have fruit later or cheese & biscuits. I also have a 2nd cup of coffee sometime after Evening meal.

I need to have something to eat morning & evening to take my tablets. My mealtimes are not regular.

I also often share a small bag of cheese & onion crisps with my cat in the afternoon. I also have fruit tea or glass of water with a drop of "no added sugar" cordial during the day when I'm thirsty. I do like very good 70%, 80% or 85% dark chocolate, I always have some in the cupboard but it can lay untouched for weeks.

I would lose weight if I could excercise more, I do walk to our local shop most days but it's not a brisk walk, also my Epilepsy medication slows the metabolism. I do try although I got a surprise the other day when I got my scales out as I had noticed my trousers seemed loose, I've lost about 10lbs, not sure how, I just hope it keeps coming off slowlygrin

Chattybarbara Sat 07-Oct-17 11:17:07

I eat 2 rashers of streaky bacon and 3 fresh dates for breakfast, a protein bar and apple for lunch and then whatever I want for supper but usually lots of vegs with lean meat of some kind - with perhaps a biscuit or two later in the evening.... If I want to lose weight I cut out potatoes and the biscuits......

Willow500 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:42:59

Another one fascinated by this thread and feelings of guilt that I seem to eat far too much in a day. I'm always hungry especially on a morning. During the week my typical day would be
Breakfast 6 grapes, 4 strawberries, blueberries, sometimes half a banana with a handful of raisin bran flakes with yogurt - eat half at 5.30 and the other half anywhere between 8.30 and 10 depending on how long I can hold it off for!
Lunch either 2 slices of bread with tuna filling or cracker bread with cheese spread, lots of black olives (in brine) and maybe a tomato followed by a lemonade lolly (only one brand will do)
Tea can be anything from chilli & rice to chicken curry or salmon and veg.
I could eat a lot of chocolate but do try to ration it to a few squares a day and love crisps but try not to eat those too often. Always have a glass of red wine at night and only drink black unsweetened coffee (too much) or water.
I'l like to loose half a stone again (lost 3.5 stone a few years ago but put 1.5 back on) but my other half is very overweight so we need to try and get our eating under control. I work from home so hardly ever do any exercise but do walk to the post office if I can.

DeeWBW Sat 07-Oct-17 11:55:18

I am sixty four years old and have always watched my weight and getting weighed almost every day helps me to do that as, if I don’t like what I see when I am, let’s say, two pounds over my ideal weight, I cut back immediately.
When I was fifteen, I weighed 8 stone five pounds. But for being pregnant, I have always tried to maintain my ideal weight of 7 – thirteen – and nine tenths. I just like to be able to say the’ seven’ umber, instead of the eight. In truth, I have been between eight two and eight five nearly all of my life, except for when being pregnant three times. Last month, I could say my favourite number for one or two days but now I am eight one and comfortable with it.

How?

Breakfast – A fistful of proper porridge oats, twenty or so raisins, five broken walnuts, a sliced banana, maybe a little lemon rind cut into small pieces, cinnamon and enough milk to appear just above the porridge (the banana will be higher than the porridge but I stop the milk at the porridge level). Stick in the microwave for two minutes and, when it comes out, the consistency is that you can cut into it (my kind of breakfast). If you want it runny, add a little extra milk. Top it with a couple of tablespoons of Greek yogurt ad a teaspoon of honey and you’re good to go. Mmmmmmm …. To me, it tastes like Christmas pudding ….. every day!!!!!

I then wait until about eight o’clock and have a salad to die for:-
Add as many green leaves as you wish – I don’t use lettuce but I use all the others (spinach, rocket, lamb’s leaves, watercress etc.)
Ten or so cherry tomatoes, halved
Slithers of half a onion
Cubes of cheese
A fistful of raisins or sultanas
A few broken walnuts
A sliced banana
I might then add a tin of sardines, having cut the fish into small pieces, or you could add some cooked chicken, or ham (I’m not vegetarian but I don’t need meat).

Toss them together and then add a little salt, a tablespoon or so of olive oil and a tablespoon or so of white vinegar or cider vinegar. Toss together again. It’s now ready to eat but you can add to the flavour (I do) by sprinkling a little balsamic vinegar of the salad, once it is on the plate.
Oh, I’m drooling already. I have never like salads – I prefer the naughty things like dumplings and Yorkshire puddings – but even preparing this salad turns me on. Sometimes, I have enough green leaves for three or four people, all for only me.

Try it and let me know what you think.

DeeWBW Sat 07-Oct-17 11:58:33

I am sixty four years old and have always watched my weight and getting weighed almost every day helps me to do that as, if I don’t like what I see when I am, let’s say, two pounds over my ideal weight, I cut back immediately.
When I was fifteen, I weighed 8 stone five pounds. But for being pregnant, I have always tried to maintain my ideal weight of 7 – thirteen – and nine tenths. I just like to be able to say the’ seven’ umber, instead of the eight. In truth, I have been between eight two and eight five nearly all of my life, except for when being pregnant three times. Last month, I could say my favourite number for one or two days but now I am eight one and comfortable with it.

How?

Breakfast – A fistful of proper porridge oats, twenty or so raisins, five broken walnuts, a sliced banana, maybe a little lemon rind cut into small pieces, cinnamon and enough milk to appear just above the porridge (the banana will be higher than the porridge but I stop the milk at the porridge level). Stick in the microwave for two minutes and, when it comes out, the consistency is that you can cut into it (my kind of breakfast). If you want it runny, add a little extra milk. Top it with a couple of tablespoons of Greek yogurt ad a teaspoon of honey and you’re good to go. Mmmmmmm …. To me, it tastes like Christmas pudding ….. every day!!!!!

I then wait until about eight o’clock and have a salad to die for:-
Add as many green leaves as you wish – I don’t use lettuce but I use all the others (spinach, rocket, lamb’s leaves, watercress etc.)
Ten or so cherry tomatoes, halved
Slithers of half a onion
Cubes of cheese
A fistful of raisins or sultanas
A few broken walnuts
A sliced banana
I might then add a tin of sardines, having cut the fish into small pieces, or you could add some cooked chicken, or ham (I’m not vegetarian but I don’t need meat).

Toss them together and then add a little salt, a tablespoon or so of olive oil and a tablespoon or so of white vinegar or cider vinegar. Toss together again. It’s now ready to eat but you can add to the flavour (I do) by sprinkling a little balsamic vinegar of the salad, once it is on the plate.
Oh, I’m drooling already. I have never like salads – I prefer the naughty things like dumplings and Yorkshire puddings – but even preparing this salad turns me on. Sometimes, I have enough green leaves for three or four people, all for only me.

Oh - and I occasionally add a boiled egg.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Rolande Sat 07-Oct-17 12:06:35

A little bit of everything (but no cakes, pies or biscuits as a rule)...and loosing weight.

I take my "kefir" first thing in the morning and it seems to fill me up so only have a banana and yogurt plus coffee for breakfast.

Home made soup for lunch and crisp bread or salad or sandwich or avocado on toasts, yum.

Dinner, fish or chicken or meat and vegetable or lentils with halloumi (love halloumi). Sometimes pasta or potatoes or rice but not often.

I have a small whisky at "cocktail time" and one glass of wine with dinner. And one square of 70% chocolate! oh and few walnuts with cocktail.

I don't deprive myself of anything really. Yesterday went out for lunch with a friend and had fish and chips. Bowl of soup for dinner.

As a rule I eat a fruit in the afternoon.

My b/p is lower now with drinking this kefir.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 07-Oct-17 12:08:30

My weight is and has been for more years than I can remember never gone above 50kg Last weigh in was at my six month bloods and asthma meds check.I am 5ft 5ins.I am a grazer, love shortbread with a latte am a half veggie and half fish eater.
I dislike the smell and taste of meat but will have a chicken curry More sauce and rice than chicken
I have butter and toast not toast and butter. I don't like salads but a bit of cucumber and lashings of mayo on salmon
I am never to see 75 again not your energetic type
it has to be inherited as my mother was skinny. Other than that I haven't a clue why I remain at the weight I am as my idea of activity is hanging out the washing.

Saggi Sat 07-Oct-17 12:43:36

All of you.... get an ulcer.... you can only eat very little or you feel incredibly uncomfortable.Ulcer is under control with pills.... but can't overeat at all as it seems to be 'stuck in my throat' for hours afterwards . Breakfast is no
more than 30gr porridge with 50 ml of semi skimmed. Lunch is banana and yoghurt, or soup. Dinner is loads of veg and a little meat ( one lamb chop or one sausage) ...you get the idea. Ulcer diagnosed 5 weeks ago and due to new regime I am losing 1lb a week. Result!!

harrigran Sat 07-Oct-17 13:50:36

Baggs, you weigh the same as GD who has just turned eight shock

sandelf Sat 07-Oct-17 14:17:55

So much is metabolism. I have been chubby and skinny. Now skinny and eat more 'calories' (Ha - whatever that is) than when younger and chubby.

!/2 large grapefruit
bowl porridge
2 mugs real coffee + milk
supplements (another chapter on its own)

coffee + chocolate

hot dinner - stir fry, jacket spud, roast whatever - fruit tea

salad, cheese or ham, rye bread,
fruit tea

large flapjack or nut bar or snickers

wine

Kim19 Sat 07-Oct-17 14:33:30

Maggiemaybe, I don't see you as being greedy at all: not one little bit. If you are happy with your weight and fitness then more power to your elbow. I wasn't, therefore I remedied the food intake. Happily this reduction has now become the norm and I seldom have cravings (which I indulge if I ever do, by the way). I once broke a bone in my foot. Agony. Logic required less weight to be carried asap. That was my catalyst and I'm grateful never to have defaulted. This weight stuff is not a competition. Just do what makes you feel good and comfortable and is compatible with what you know to be all round common sense. Enjoy!