Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you Eat

(78 Posts)
Serkeen Fri 06-Oct-17 10:48:12

I have often wondered what a slim person eats in a day. I am 10 stone 9 but would like to loose some weight.

Yesterday for eg I ate

Breakfast 2 boiled eggs one slice brown bread seeded toasted

Lunch Baked vegetables for

Diner Angus steak burger and around six chips

Snack 7 Dates

That was quite a good day... On a bad day I would eat far too many snacks in the form of crisps and I can manage a whole bag of popcorn on my own quite happily

I usually have a 20 minute walk most days

What is a good day for you and I am soo interested in what is a bad day too smile

Greyduster Fri 06-Oct-17 11:18:35

A good day for me is one weetabix and three prunes for breakfast, no lunch unless an apple or a banana, grilled fish and a green salad for dinner followed by a yoghurt. And four cups of coffee spread through the day and no alcohol or fizzy drinks (which aren't my thing anyway, but I have discovered Aldi's Diet lemonade which is just the bees knees!?).
A bad day? No breakfast, but maybe a sandwich and some crisps for lunch, or if DH has come back from the supermarket with a bag of sausage rolls..... well, you get my drift! If there is chocolate or cake around I will eat it. Then dinner will be something meaty with potatoes and vegetables, but I have never learned to cook for two and so I make, and we eat, far too much! I made a moussaka yesterday, fully intending to keep a portion for the freezer, but DH fancied another helping and, well, you don't just want to freeze a wee bit do you? So there you have it. I am fighting to get down below ten stone. If I don't find the discipline soon, I will never make it! Eating our main meal late doesn't help. And now - 'Winter is Coming'......

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Oct-17 14:24:51

Suzi Grant, from Alternative Ageing, has made a video about this: www.gransnet.com/food/suzi-grant-what-i-eat-in-a-day

Hope it's useful smile

BBbevan Fri 06-Oct-17 14:37:29

Good day. Full fat Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast.Home made soup with no potatoes or carrots etc, or an omelette for lunch. Steak , or chicken and salad for dinner. Tea or coffee with no sugar , water and the occasional G&T.
Very good day. Fast overnight until lunchtime.
I am on.a high fat low carbohydrate diet. 18 months ago I was diabetic. My GP say I am now considered not to be so.

ninathenana Fri 06-Oct-17 14:46:48

I don't have good and bad days really.
Most days will be
cereal with semi skimmed milk
A wholemeal roll with low fat spread and filling or soup and roll.
A meat dish with veg and a yoghurt.

I am diabetic and have IBS and have had gall stone problems a few years ago, so I stick to what suits me.

Teetime Fri 06-Oct-17 14:51:59

serkeen if you put your daily intake into My fitness pal a free on line food diary not only will it count the calories for you but also break down your intake in its nutritional content i.e. vitamins and minerals. The day you describe seems a bit lacking in some areas.

Serkeen Fri 06-Oct-17 16:03:04

Teatime Thank you so much for letting me know about that website! It will change the way I eat..been on it for a bit..now I know WHY I am not loosing the weight, so many more calories n stuff than I thought.

I am so grateful thank you its a brilliant websie and will help me so much thank you x x will tell my friends and family about it toosmile

midgey Fri 06-Oct-17 16:11:54

Almost anything I can see, day or nightgrin

Greyduster Fri 06-Oct-17 16:15:04

I can see I will have to up my game! Today has been a good day. I have only slipped once since breakfast (two biscuits but it has been a stressful day!) and dinner will be poached smoked haddock, two small new potatoes and broccoli.

Maggiemaybe Fri 06-Oct-17 17:11:15

On a good day (twice a week), I'm fasting, so nothing but fruit tea and water till teatime, when I have a sub 500 calorie meal (something lean and healthy with salad or veg, or on a lazy day a bowl of soup and a couple of slices of bread). Maybe one or two small pieces of fruit during the evening.

The other days aren't bad, in that I eat healthy stuff on the whole, but I eat way too much. Porridge with full fat yoghurt or eggs with toast for breakfast, perhaps homemade soup with wholemeal bread or a sandwich for lunch (3 slices), whatever DH makes me for tea - he's a good cook and does a mean risotto, stirfry, casserole etc, always a generous portion with loads of veg from the allotment. We just have fruit for pudding 90% of the time.

But I'm a snacker, and I'm forever up and down looking for the next thing to eat. Not normally junk, rather a handful of nuts, some rice crackers, a hunk of cheese, and far more fruit than a person should probably eat (a quick tot up of yesterday's comes to at least 12 portions). I don't buy chocolate, sweets or crisps because I couldn't resist them! I'll typically have a couple of glasses of wine on non fast days, one coffee, and many cups of tea, no sugar.

I aim to walk about 20 miles a week.

I'd like to be just under 10 stone, instead of being just over. smile

vampirequeen Fri 06-Oct-17 17:14:43

My Fitness Pal is great. If you have a Fitbit you can link it to MFP and it will calculate your exercise calories.

vampirequeen Fri 06-Oct-17 17:25:59

DD2 is naturally slim (size 10) so I've asked her what she eats in a normal. Stop reading now if you don't want to feel bitter and twisted.

Yesterday she ate:
Before breakfast....a handful of biscuits
Breakfast...chocolate rice krispies
Second breakfast about 10am......toast and jam
Snacks..... 2 packets of chocolate buttons, banana
Lunch...sandwich, crisps
Snacks...2 pain au chocolat, banana
Tea....chicken, potatoes, cauliflower, peas, yoghurt
Snacks.....crisps, yoghurt, pain au chocolat

This is a normal day's intake. It's short of vitamins etc but her recent blood tests all came back normal. Not a hint of any deficiency.

When she was born they took her away for a couple of hours to do some tests on her. If she didn't look so much like her dad I'd be certain that they'd swapped her and somewhere there is a very slim, fit family with a chunky thighed daughter who has to watch everything that goes in her mouth.

NanTheWiser Fri 06-Oct-17 18:24:54

I'm a low-carb eater - I actually can't tolerate carbs any more! so, breakfast is fried egg, bacon (pancetta actually - yum!) and tomato. Lunch is home-made veg soup with no potatoes (now weather is getting colder - salad and feta or smoked salmon when weather is warmer). For evening meal, any meat with low carb veg, such as runner beans, broccoli or cabbage and carrots. I don't really snack, but I like fruit and have to confine that to a few cherries when in season, or red grapes but they can give me digestive problems due to sugar content. I also have one square of 85% dark choc in the evening.
I drink 4 coffees a day - all with double cream, and 4 teas with whole milk.
I rarely feel hungry, and have lost 19 lbs on low carb diet.

harrigran Fri 06-Oct-17 18:28:09

My DD is a size 6 and can eat anything she likes, I believe she was swapped at birth. I too can eat anything I like the only difference being I look as if I have eaten the whole meal plus the man that cooked it.

Greyduster Fri 06-Oct-17 18:46:39

harri grin

M0nica Fri 06-Oct-17 19:42:30

I put on weight after the menopause and spent 15 years trying to lose it, until, about 3 years ago, the 5:2 diet came along and finally I did. I really do not want to put the weight back on so I have clear rules over portion control.

A portion of rice or pasta weighs 2 oz, for potatoes, 4 oz. We eat lot of casseroles and stews and in the making the vegetable content must equal or exceed the weight of the meat. We use skinned boned chicken thighs rather than chicken breasts as they are much smaller. one piece = 1 portion. We eat a lot of home grown stewed fruit and we generally do not add extra sweetening (the exception is rhubarb).

My constant portion measurer is my soup ladle. One soup ladle of casserole or stew equals 1 portion. The same with stewed fruit. Vegetables do not count and are not measured. Food is served directly onto plates, no helping yourself and the excess casserole/stew/stewed fruit goes directly into containers for freezing so that there are no second helpings.

I have never been a snacker and only do so if really hungry. I do not have a sweet tooth and usually will snack on a small piece of cheese, or, as yesterday, a tiny snack portion of sushi.

Yesterday I ate
Breakfast: 2 marmite rice biscuits spread with quark and with slices of cucumber on top, small fruit juice, big mug of lemon tea
Lunch: Pork casserole, boiled potatoes, runner beans, stewed plums
Supper: Carrot & coriander soup, soft wrap spread with marmite and filled with salad veg, grapes.

I actually felt hungry mid morning and bought a pack of snack sushi and ate them.

Our calorie requirement also drops as we get older. I was surprised to discover as a very active 74 year old, my average daily calorie intake should be under 1,800 calories.

Baggs Fri 06-Oct-17 20:32:40

Today:

0545 Big oatcake + 6 dried dates, 2 cups tea with whole milk
0830 Big oatcake + 5 slices dried mango, mug tea w whole milk
1100 bowl of Jordan's crunchie nut cereal and some fruit & fibre cereal with whole milk, mug twhm (twhm = tea with whole milk)
1300 double caramel mini Magnum, mug twhm
1600 mug coffee whm and three squares of fudge
1800 two roast chicken drumsticks + roasted carrots and parsnips (used lard as the cooking fat).
2030 (now) about to make another mug twhm.

I weighed myself this morning as it happens—51kg. Sometimes I think the scales must be wrong but my clothes don't feel tight.

Must have telepathed my desire for tea to MrB cos he got up to make it while I finished this post grin

BBbevan Fri 06-Oct-17 20:56:56

Well done Nanthewiser a girl after my own heart

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:26:45

What's 51kg?

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-17 07:27:38

My body weight.

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-17 07:28:53

You're not really asking, are you? I should've realised grin

Bbbface Sat 07-Oct-17 08:22:05

Vampirequeen

Putting aside the fact that she is skin, that is a diabolical diet. So so much refined sugar and not one single piece of fruit. Not even close to her 5 a day.

I’d be concerned personally. She presumably has she on her side. With a diet like that, she’s potentially storing up problems.

Bbbface Sat 07-Oct-17 08:22:31

Skin should read slim

Bbbface Sat 07-Oct-17 08:24:57

Ah my apologies
Two bananas

But still. All the refined sugar!!

minxie Sat 07-Oct-17 08:25:26

Your not eating enough if you want to lose weight. This is something many people dont understand, your body just stored fat as it thinks it’s being starved. Research slimming world and the like and see how much you should be eating. I’m 8stone 10 and eat lots more than you