Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Winter Flu Jabs - for or against?

(180 Posts)
grannysue05 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:27:15

The letters have dropped on our mats this weekend....You know, the invitation to attend for flu jabs.
DH and I have never opted for the jabs, and , fingers crossed, have only had real flu twice in all our years (late seventies).
We have friends who religiously take up the offer. Most have a 'reaction" within days, but that passes. The sore arm goes on for a week or more.
Most of the friends have then gone on to catch flu later in that paticular winter. Mostly from GC's .
I have read that the treated virus's are taken from the previous years' flu epidemic, and a mix is made up from this.
The flu that arrives each season has mutated from the previous year, so the actual vaccination serum is not really relevant.
Are we wise to keep pumping in these foreign bodies?
Can we not rely on our immune systems?

downtoearth Sat 14-Oct-17 14:21:06

Had my first this morning aged 64..fe a bit spaced out but that could be due to getting up at 4.30 to take OH to work as I needed the car...was also told due to my age I qualified for the one off pneumonia jab..

spottysocks Sat 14-Oct-17 15:24:09

Well apart from a sore arm yesterday, feeling fine.

whitewave Sat 14-Oct-17 16:21:38

Done! Most efficient nurse yet - didn’t realise it had been done. Set aside tomorrow to potter in case I feel under the weather. Last year was fine but other years I have ranged from mildly tired to feeling completely awful.

But I can be smug in the knowledge that I am doing my bit to avoid if at all possible an extremely unpleasant deadly virus and at the same time not being a pain clogging up the health service entirely needlessly because I’ve had the flu jab.

durhamjen Sat 14-Oct-17 17:59:19

When we lived in York, they used to have a competiton to see who could give the most flu jabs! You had to be careful if you went more than once over that period, and make sure you told them you'd already had it.

Menopaws Sat 14-Oct-17 21:00:10

Totally against

annodomini Sat 14-Oct-17 21:55:09

Done. Felt a bit itchy this afternoon but it seems to have settled now.

annodomini Sat 14-Oct-17 21:55:10

Done. Felt a bit itchy this afternoon but it seems to have settled now.

durhamjen Sat 14-Oct-17 22:17:35

Why are you totally against, Menopaws?

Marydoll Sat 14-Oct-17 22:50:26

Had mine this morning. I have been getting them for years due to underlying health problems. Feeling a bit rotten, but that could be due to exhaustion from childminding three days in a row!
I will continue to get them.

Coolgran65 Sat 14-Oct-17 23:55:24

Had mine this morning, 12 hours ago at 11.30am.
Have been having these flu jabs for years without ill effect.

Can only be a coincidence that by 5pm today I had a sore throat, running nose, and a cough.
I know it's a coincidence.

durhamjen Sat 14-Oct-17 23:58:24

Who else was in the waiting room, Coolgran?

NanKate Sun 15-Oct-17 08:17:02

We had ours on Monday expecting no ill effects, however we have both felt under par since then, but it is worth it.

Anya Sun 15-Oct-17 08:28:38

I’m just getting over the usual ‘give granny a cold this autumn’ bug. Seriously thinking of wearing a mask next time I’m minding a sneezing/coughing child on school runs and after school duty.

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Oct-17 08:30:51

DH had his last week, and woke up with a bit of a sore throat and cough the next day. So did I though, and I hadn't had it (would if I could, I'm not eligible). smile

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Oct-17 08:41:35

Not eligible for the freebie, I meant. Now I've read the full thread and realised how easy and cheap it is to have the jab, I'll get myself done.

Marmight Sun 15-Oct-17 10:19:33

I had mine a couple of weeks ago when having the annual MOT with the practice nurse. No adverse reaction at all. Last year the Doc did it and my arm blew up like a tennis ball and was painful for days. Nurse gave me a knowing look ....wink
DD in Oz and her family had very bad 'flu this year and some of her friends were hospitalised, so I think we're in for a bad winter.

kezia Sun 15-Oct-17 10:21:38

I'm.off to have mine this morning. First timer so I'll be interested to see if there's a reaction. I was surprised that the surgery offered a Sunday morning appointment but I suppose it'll be quiet!

whitewave Sun 15-Oct-17 10:28:20

Had mine yesterday. Feel jaded today, so will take it easy. Went to the library yesterday so a good excuse to sit and read.

Salmond Rushdie “A Golden House” and 4 others.

downtoearth Sun 15-Oct-17 20:12:41

Woke up feeling odd after my first yesterday,but after breakfast head cleared and have 5year old all day

JessM Wed 18-Oct-17 18:16:41

Quite often I feel fuzzy in the morning. But this week's flu jab not even given me a tender place on the arm.

Iam64 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:32:29

I couldn't have mine this morning because I've got a cold - booked in for next week though

Smithy Wed 18-Oct-17 20:56:48

Had mine 2 weeks ago at the chemist - saved waiting at the docs clinic. No adverse reactions whatsoever. Even if there just a chance it will prevent something, it's worth having.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:12:59

Faye your post is very interesting; having returned from Australia I can second that. People in Queensland have been extremely ill with secondary infections - young people too. One previously healthy young man we heard of has died.
This year's vaccine is based on research done in Australia according to my GP, who has urged me to have the vaccine. Although I have not had the flu jab for three or four years I shall have it as soon as possible.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:20:23

anno One caveat this year is that there's been a nasty flu virus in the Antipodes which is probably not included in this year's vaccine my GP assured me that it was based on Australian research and should prevent the type of flu being experienced there.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:46:22

Interesting Anya
Perhaps my GP means that research was based on a previous virus. However, I also saw this reported:

Is there an Aussie flu vaccine
There is, but as Dr Chris Steele explained on This Morning, there’s a question over how effective it will be. A vaccine against Aussie flu was developed in the UK in March, made using the virus hitting Australia, but it’s estimated that by time the flu comes to the UK the strain will have mutated, potentially putting ‘huge pressure’ on the NHS. However, he still recommended that as many people as possible, particularly over 65s or pregnant women, get a preventative jab