Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

A life recording - would you like to leave one?

(28 Posts)
Imperfect27 Mon 09-Oct-17 07:01:02

There was an article on the BBC News this morning about hospice care and the dying being given the opportunity to make an audio recording of their life story. This seemed to be achieved as a 'prompted conversation' with the speaker simply sharing memories.

I think this is lovely idea - a wonderful legacy for family and a wonderful way to feel you have left something of yourself, your likes, your loves, your work and industry for others to know about.

Years and years ago, my DS1 made a tape recording of my mum and dad talking about their memories of WW11 and funnily enough, we were just talking abut the tape this weekend and saying how nice it would be to locate it - sure it must be in a safe place somewhere between our 2 houses - and how lovely it would be just to hear their voices.

I would be happy to make a recording - not that I have anything stunning to say, but I think the family might like it. What about you?

durhamjen Mon 09-Oct-17 20:49:42

It's the various bits and pieces that you have of your parents pasts that they possibly didn't necessarily write for you that are enlightening.
I have an autograph book signed by many of the soldiers and airmen that my mum and dad knew. I also have a book with my dad's writing about their honeymoon. It's not lurid, very sweet, in fact.

After my husband died, I discovered a recording of his voice on a keyring recorder. It's comforting at times, and there are lots of video recordings of him joining in with us all.
I think it's the unintended memories that they bring back that matter.

pollyperkins Tue 10-Oct-17 11:53:37

DH and I are both writing our memoirs for the grandchildren because, as others have said, we know so little of our own grandparents' lives and almost nothing about the previous generations.
DH is writing a list of facts which I find a bit dry, He thinks mine is far too wordy with lots of descriptions and anecdotes.
If I ever get round to it I intend to add photos and print it out. Ive dont my childhood but think I'll put a lot less detail about my adult life!