Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How does it all get done?

(59 Posts)
winterwhite Mon 16-Oct-17 16:17:02

The recent thread on plans for the week was interesting for someone entering their first winter of 'retirement'. How does it all get done? Do people keep to daily schedules? Or rely on list-making? Or is just getting up early good enough? hmm

Anya Wed 18-Oct-17 08:39:15

Friday morning. Get up, clean teeth, throw on old c.lthes have a coffee, strip beds, wash sheets, clean bathrooms, bedrooms and bully OH into moving sofas and furniture, hoovering and washing hard floors downstairs.

Then shower and late breakfast. All sorted for the week. Kitchen, living room and conservatory get quick wipe down/dust most days.

Luckygirl Wed 18-Oct-17 09:10:40

Ah yes, a slut! Me too! grin

loopyloo Wed 18-Oct-17 09:34:19

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't get done completely. My daughter works different shifts each week so it's difficult to plan things and if I do its often changed because of family commitments.
So I have to do "drop in" things or make arrangements at the last minute so I see real people.

pensionpat Wed 18-Oct-17 10:01:05

The gift of retirement is the ability to choose what we do and when. I choose to be busy. My own cleaning and gardening are bottom of the list and is dictated by weather. I clean my daughter-in-laws house but only to the standard I can, within my time and energy constraints. I also look after their challenging garden. DH takes DGS to school every day and on 1 day a week we pick him up, feed him and take him home. I volunteer 1 Afternoon a week at Food Bank, and run a charity. This year this has included baking cakes monthly to run a pop-up cafe to raise funds for the main Christmas charity. Things are getting into top gear. I am collecting toys, selling raffle tickets and planning our Christmas stall, recruiting volunteers etc.

However, I have chosen to do these things and enjoy them. It is exciting and rewarding. And I still have time to read and keep up with GN. There are plenty of times that I choose to be lazy.

grannysue05 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:46:11

When I was working (and I worked long hours), I was very house proud.
I washed, scrubbed,bleached,hoovered,folded...fresh flowers everywhere...perfection.
Hardly anyone came as we were out/working/away alot.
I retired late (at 69 years) and the last seven years have been the exact opposite.
Now I don't care what the house looks like...I do housework when I feel like it (i.e....not that often!)
And people drop in all the time...friends, family, neighbours...even the local postman stops for a cuppa!
So something changes on retirement.
Just go with want you feel like doing. smile

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:41:17

That sounds like my Mondays Anya !
Just another Manic Monday

Bluegal Wed 18-Oct-17 16:14:59

Think it depends what type of person you were BEFORE retirement. I was never one for timetables before; kind of did the ironing when I couldn't find anything to wear type of thing. I took semi-retirement fantiscising about all the lovely days I would spend to myself and of course time to help my family. Now I have done I find I need a bloomin diary!!!! First time ever!

Housework still comes low down my list of priorities though.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:43:20

I used to be very organised when I was working, at home as well as at work - out of necessity. However, now (apart from the usual Monday routine) things get done when I feel like it. Apart from cooking every evening (which DH rarely does although he is helpful in other areas of domesticity!).