Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Halloween, should I?

(84 Posts)
phoenix Tue 24-Oct-17 19:59:00

Evening all, and sending every good wish.

I live in a cul de sac in a small village. The local children seem to enjoy Halloween.

I have made it clear that I'm happy to open the door to the "littleys", who are always accompanied by parents ( can't be doing with the teenagers! hmm

Last year I had saved up the Stickeez that Lidl had been giving out, and when the children had knocked at the door, after pretending to be frightened, we all enjoyed me throwing them and they had to run to get themgrin

Now, here's the question. I've got in some sweets, in small individually wrapped bags, BUT, would it make it more fun for them for me to be wearing a witches costume (complete with green face paintshock and open the door a crack and say (in a"witchy " voice) something like "So, who is it that comes knocking on my door?" Then wait for a response before exposing myself (so to speak) or might that scare the living daylights out of them?

Please bear in mind that they will have a parent (usually mum) with them.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Oct-17 20:01:08

Oh yes! How exciting!

Greyduster Tue 24-Oct-17 20:10:48

Well, let’s face it, the worst that could happen is that the kids are completely traumatised, run screaming and the parents call the police, or, on the other hand they will absolutely love it and keep coming back for more! I’d give it a go, Phoenix. We’ll speak up for you in Court grin.

Jalima1108 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:15:27

Yes!

Do you have a black cat? Or a cat that you can dye black (Clairol Nice 'N' Easy?)

cornergran Tue 24-Oct-17 20:15:40

Go for it phoenix, the children will love it. If you are seriously concerned the smallest will be frightened perhaps warn their mother in advance? I think it's more likely they will come back for more.

Deedaa Tue 24-Oct-17 20:16:27

Go on Phoenix you know you want to grin

Greenfinch Tue 24-Oct-17 20:37:20

Children are very resilient to witches !They love them and are not easily scared.

Cherrytree59 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:38:01

Think I will do the do the same Phoenix probably won't need
much makeup
My 2 little DGS are coming for a little Halloween party so we will all be dressing up
but will not be out trick or treating .
I will place a pumpkin outside to signal that we want the children to call
When they ask trick or treat, I usually say trick, there are some little puzzled faces before I hand over the treat.

My DGS love to see the other children in their costumes
The little ones tend to come early on.
We then remove the pumpkin so we have no teenagers calling.

Jane10 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:41:50

My DGSs are going out guising in the traditional way.

vampirequeen Tue 24-Oct-17 20:56:16

That will be fantastic. Go for it.

phoenix Tue 24-Oct-17 21:02:35

Thank you all for the responses, most seem to think I should go for it! The stuff has been ordered (less than £5, but not sure the hat will fit blush but will adapt I.e cut the back if need be)

Good idea to pre warn the parents cornergran, will do that.

jalima no black cat, just two tabbies, but Fraidy from next door (black, slightly cross looking face) is always sneaking in an eating Digby and Oliver Sprouts food, perhaps I could kidnap borrow him!

Chewbacca Tue 24-Oct-17 22:17:14

Phoenix you've inspired me to give it a go too! If I get hauled up in front of the couts; I'll blame you! grin

lemongrove Tue 24-Oct-17 22:22:18

Not sure about this Phoenix but guess you will have to do it to see what the reaction is.
Last year SIL opened door to children and scared the living daylights out of them, wearing a wolf mask.We all told him it was an improvement though.?

stayanotherday Tue 24-Oct-17 22:30:47

What fun! Go for it!

BlueBelle Tue 24-Oct-17 22:36:21

How can you know you re opening the door to small kids and not older ones ? I m intrigued I never know who I m opening it to

Grandma2213 Wed 25-Oct-17 01:54:17

I've done it with a mask and bright pink hair. No one seemed to notice the difference! hmm

FarNorth Wed 25-Oct-17 03:05:31

My DGSs are going out guising in the traditional way.

Great stuff! I thought guising had vanished.

Jane10 Wed 25-Oct-17 05:51:50

Nope. Just refusing to give in to American trick or treating!

BBbevan Wed 25-Oct-17 06:18:40

Absolutely Go for it.

Last year we had a Mum with several children , knock on the door. She was in costume and she carried a tiny baby, no more than 3 months old. He/she was dressed up too , but just looked very sweet .

kittylester Wed 25-Oct-17 07:02:48

Definitely go for it phoenix, I'm sure the children will love it.

Newquay Wed 25-Oct-17 08:05:44

What's guising then?

Chewbacca Wed 25-Oct-17 08:10:08

Dressing up as a "disguise" Newquay.

StKilda Wed 25-Oct-17 09:47:13

What fun. Go for it. I live in a block of flats with buzzer entry so I shall have to watch the fun from my window. Kids love to be scared.

Nanny123 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:48:02

Go for it - you could put a “beware” sign out saying a witch lives here giving the parents a bit of a clue - I bet the kids will love it

When we lived in a big development a couple used to go to town and do their whole house up - it was very scary they made a name for themselves and people would come from miles to go through the house - the couple used to make a lot of money in donations for a local charity

madmum38 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:48:19

Go for it. My family always dress up and decorate the house,we get children bought by car by the parents because they have heard about the dressing up and others we have come back year after year and their parents tell us that the children can't wait to get to our house.
You could be making children's Halloween very special