Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I replace it?

(12 Posts)
grannyticktock Sun 05-Nov-17 20:56:11

Fridges and freezers are among the most reliable appliances. My last fridge-freezer was about 25 years old (I left it behind, still working, when we moved), while my current fridge and freezer are over 13 years old and never had a problem. This reliability does mean that some of the older models are inefficient but still functioning well. It might be worth doing some sums on the cost/benefits of an upgrade, but don't forget that you have to pay to dispose of the old one. DO NOT do what my elderly step-mum did, and keep the old one as a near-useless sort of cupboard in the garage, filled with old plastic carrier bags which eventually biodegrade and go into holes!

It's great having self-defrosting models, but surprisingly, they don't rank in the very highest category for fuel-efficiency.

M0nica Sun 05-Nov-17 20:09:23

Both my freezers are in the garage. My main chest freezer and the smaller one I inherited from an aunt that is switched on each year from about September to February and holds the overflow of garden produce.

Norah Sun 05-Nov-17 17:36:24

No, keep it in the garage. I love extra cold space.

Chewbacca Sun 05-Nov-17 17:12:03

One week after getting married, in 1973, I bought a Creda tumble drier for £29.99. It dried all the clothes and nappies for our family until, in 2009, an upgrade to our kitchen made me decide to get rid of it and buy a modern, cheaper to run and energy efficient model. It cost me £169. And it spent more time being repaired/waiting to be repaired/waiting for replacement parts to be repaired than it ever actually worked. I finally gave up and chucked it out in 2012 because it was costing too much in repair costs. I haven't bothered again since. Pound for pound, my old Creda was the best electrical appliance I ever bought and I could weep that I got rid of it. Hang on to your old fridge freezer Morgana, they don't build them to last anymore.

oldgoat Sun 05-Nov-17 16:22:02

I know it's tempting fate because the day after I bragged how long we'd had our tele. it packed up, but we've had our upright Electrolux freezer for 46 years and it's still going strong.

merlotgran Sun 05-Nov-17 16:13:53

Our fridge freezer must be at least twenty years old. We inherited it from DD when they moved house because their new kitchen had everything built in and it was second hand when they bought it.

It's still going strong and as we've had to replace both the washing machine and the dishwasher this year I have my fingers crossed!!

Luckygirl Sun 05-Nov-17 14:18:01

I am obsessional about waste. I would keep it and treat it with the respect that its age deserves.

Charleygirl Sun 05-Nov-17 14:14:35

I agree, keep it.

Menopaws Sun 05-Nov-17 13:34:36

I'm with you, if it ain't broke...

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Nov-17 13:34:00

Will the replacement at this stage be more affordable for you than letting it die a natural death and replace.
Keep on the look out for bargain deals.

My next freezer will be self defrosting but I will not get rid of it until I need to.
I am lucky to have room for a separate freezer and fridge.

MawBroon Sun 05-Nov-17 13:30:25

No!
If it is still working let it live.It may be costing more to run, but compare that with the price of a new one -they only last 10 years anyway , it’s called planed obsolescence. If you must have a new one keep this one in the garage , the fridge part for drinks, freezer for stores. You cannot have too much freezer space!

Morgana Sun 05-Nov-17 13:11:48

Old fridge freezer. 20 plus years. Still working. But looks it's age! Thinking it is probably expensive to run and I could get a self defrost model.