Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mum's 70th

(122 Posts)
soontobe4 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:11:35

Hi, I am hoping I can get some lovely ideas for my mums upcoming 70th birthday. I would like to get her 7 gifts - one for each decade of her life, I'd like them to be linked with each decade, if you see what I mean. I am ok with things from more recent decades but the early ones I'm not so sure. My dad's not much help and she has no siblings to ask. We're also going away for the weekend to a cottage but worrying now that its a bit remote. I'd be ok with ideas if it was just with my little family but my sisters children have SN (and she's not helping with ideas - too busy) so nervous of what we could get up to. My mums doesn't drink, like interesting food, films etc but she's lovely and deserves something really special. We went to France for my dad's a few years ago and had an amazing time, but changes to circumstances mean that can't happen for mum and I'm just worried it's all going to be a bit flat. Any ideas would be very welcome!

Nonnie Tue 07-Nov-17 15:40:06

How about some films from the earlier decades? Depending how much you want to spend you might find interesting things in antique shops. I recently saw a green glass bowl which I remember we had in the 50s. Music compilations for decades you can't find anything else for. Stone hot water bottle, I have one on display. Dansette record player and vinyl records.

I have far more ideas of what not to get! Liberty bodice, candlewick quilt, crimplene, bobby socks, spiky hair rollers, sugared petticoats!

trisher Tue 07-Nov-17 16:02:58

What about a photograph album with each decade represented. Or extend it a bit further and add little details. Ration book for the 50s. Pop posters for the 60s. etc.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Nov-17 16:03:03

What a lovely, caring daughter you are. I imagine your Mum will be only too happy to have her family around her for her birthday present. I know I would be. Presents are less important. Could you get the younger members of the family to fill a scrapbook between them? Perhaps pictures they have drawn or poems they have written? They could add photographs of family occasions if you have them. One of your 'decade' presents could be a book about the area she lived in as a child or a CD of songs of her teenage years. Vouchers for afternoon tea might go down well. We took my parents to a bowling alley on their 50th wedding anniversary and, after some initial anxieties, they really enjoyed it. Hope some of that helps!

ninathenana Tue 07-Nov-17 16:05:48

When I think of 40s early 50s I think headscarf <ducks down>would she like a nice silk scarf.
Mum collected large ornamental brandy glasses in the 70s

pensionpat Tue 07-Nov-17 17:02:01

I shall be 70 next week. There is nothing material that I want or need. Just to spend time with my family. Thinking of a theme, I am interested in food too. What about a dinner party with 7 courses with each course from each decade. You would need to do a bit of research. I can't remember the 40s, in the 50s It was very plain food, roast if lucky, cabbage and potatoes, followed by rice pudding. In the 60s people started to go abroad so we learned to stop being afraid of spicy food like curry. The first ones that I had were from a Vesta packet, also Beef Risotto and paella. And pasta. In the 70s it was prawn cocktail, steak Diane, Black Forest gateau. You can probably remember the 80s onwards. Drinks - welfare orange juice, Blue Nun wine, Gaelic coffee, prosseco. I'm quite taken with this idea. Wish I had thought of it earlier! You are a very thoughtful daughter.

DanniRae Tue 07-Nov-17 17:08:17

I am sorry soon to spoil your idea but I am going to be 70 next year and I would NOT want presents from all 7 decades! It would definitely make me feel REALLY old (and just getting to 70 is bad enough). I don't have any memories of the 40's, hardly remember the 50's, yes, of course I remember the 60's and on wards but that doesn't mean I wish to revisit them.
Please think again about this idea.
As for entertainment my son has just introduced us to a card game called UNO. It is really easy to play and always results in lots of fun being had by all!!

Leticia Tue 07-Nov-17 17:17:23

Could you get all her friends and family to write a memory and put it in a scrapbook? We did that for my mother's 80th and it was lovely. Especially good for old photos.

varian Tue 07-Nov-17 18:22:28

My best 70th birthday present was a beautiful little box containing 70 cards, entitled "70 reasons why we love you" from my grandchildren.

Some said things like "because you cook us nice dinners" but one I liked especially was "because you take good care of Grandpa and we love him too"

Willow500 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:35:05

I think the best gift will be to spend the time with you all but also agree that a photo album with special messages from those who contribute would be a lovely idea. The meal idea sounds fun too although if you're away it might be a bit difficult to plan and take the necessary ingredients with you. One of the nicest things we ever did for my parents was to make a video (probably a dvd or flash drive of jpg files now) of photos from their childhood through the years including their wedding, their children (well only me in my case) and other happy times and put music to it. It was both poignant, funny, sad and uplifting in turn but to be able to put it on the tv for everyone to see was lovely.

Liz46 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:02:32

I am 70 and really don't want presents of 'things'. Spending time with my family is much more important. When I was 60, my daughters took me on a weekend to London, we saw a show, visited Kensington Roof Gardens and went to see my father's name on the Battle of Britain monument. Fantastic but rather expensive for them. Another good present was a 'Birds of Prey Experience' at Stockley Farm and a further one was 'Proms in the Park' near Leeds. Fortunately the weather was good for this if a little cold. Hope this helps someone a bit.

annodomini Tue 07-Nov-17 19:09:12

77 two days ago and I have received just the right present from my sons - a day's pampering at a venue of my choice and I can take a friend. I was visiting my youngest sister with my sister from NZ and there was a lovely family party for me which I enjoyed thoroughly, even though it was sobering to be the oldest person present.

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:17:04

I am not sure if your mum is unable to go very far if you say you are unable to go to France as you did for your father.
Someone I know had a personalised quilt made for her father and I just found a link to them:
www.bagsoflove.co.uk/blankets/photo-quilts.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_YTK9JWt1wIVzJ3tCh0HQg4mEAAYASAAEgIZwfD_BwE
There must be other firms who do this as well; you could include old photos and go through the ages if you have any.

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:17:42

I hope that makes sense - my post needs editing!

annsixty Tue 07-Nov-17 20:19:14

I find it very sobering when a GNer is asking what to do for her mum's 70th when I am 10 years older ?

M0nica Tue 07-Nov-17 20:20:57

Why not buy her seven experiences like some of those mentioned above, not all of them need to be expensive.

cornergran Tue 07-Nov-17 20:29:53

If it were me I’d just be delighted to have time with my family. I’ll reach 70 next year, will be on a special holiday on the day with good friends and have also booked a cottage for the family later in the year. Time with the family is very special, I won’t want or need to be entertained and I agree with others, ‘stuff’ isn’t necessary. Don’t worry too much soontobe, you have been very thoughtful and surely that will be appreciated. If you want to think about gifts the photo album is a lovely idea, I’d also enjoy a ‘music through the ages’ CD. Keep it simple and have a lovely time.

annodomini Tue 07-Nov-17 21:06:30

I remember being 70 grin. The family gave me a big party with friends from my earlier years and relatives I hadn't seen for ages. And a magician! I would have loathed a CD of music through the ages! My DS1 had made a power-point presentation of pictures I'd forgotten had ever been taken!
I told them that for my 80th, I'd like a flying lesson but they made the decision to give me that for my 74th - perhaps doubting that I would be fit enough (or alive) at 80! It was a great experience. Don't give your mum something to remember the past by. Give her enjoyment of the here and now - something to make a new memory.

lemongrove Tue 07-Nov-17 21:18:41

I agree with lots of other posters, I do not want presents from every decade although I think it’s an inventive idea.
The point being, that at 70 we are not the same person we were in any other decade.
I would much prefer some lovely perfume, chocolates and flowers.

Grandma2213 Wed 08-Nov-17 02:47:55

Everyone is different, as reading this post demonstrates! I was 70 this year and my DC arranged a surprise 'glamping weekend' including all of them, plus partners and all 5 DGC.

We stayed in 3 lovely cabins in a picturesque field with a view of the Solway and we had a wonderful time, including a freezing morning on the beach, wild, windy and memorable. The weather improved and a super barbecue, entertainment from DGC and later, more than a little alcohol also provided a night to remember! Luckily there were no other visitors as we got a little noisy. None of us will ever forget that weekend and DGC talk about it all the time. By the way the shower block had the best shower I have ever experienced!

As annodomini says, a memory of the here and now but also memory for the future of DC and DGC.

I'm hoping for a parachute jump in the near future but am not sure I can wait till I'm 80!

BlueBelle Wed 08-Nov-17 05:37:54

Whilst yours is a lovely idea it wouldn’t thrill me as I think around the 70 s is when people often start ‘clearing out’ I know I am trying to ‘lose’ a lot of stuff thinking I want to save my family from having to go though rooms of things collected over the years when I pop my clogs

suzied Wed 08-Nov-17 06:01:25

I agree “gifts”i e. stuff, aren’t important, a photo book a better idea . Another idea - you can get a cartoon of the family made from photos which is a fun thing to have framed. On my 60th we went to Center Parcs, everyone had a great time as there’s something for all ages. I played badminton, cycled and went to the Spa. We had a meal with contributions from everyone and my DD organised a 60s themed quiz. I have very fond memories of that occasion.

Leticia Wed 08-Nov-17 06:36:46

In theory the gifts through the decades sounds a lovely idea, but I wouldn't want it. The memory of the here and now sounds a better idea. Have you asked your mum? I have already decided what I want to do for my 70th. I did a parachute jump for my 60th- that was memorable!

Riverwalk Wed 08-Nov-17 06:40:40

What about seven copies of The Times from her birthday in 1947 and then every decade since.

Liz46 Wed 08-Nov-17 07:19:27

Does you mum use coasters for her coffee table? I had coasters made with photos of my daughters and grandchildren. They were more natural photos of them laughing rather than the 'posed, smiley' ones.