Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mum's 70th

(123 Posts)
soontobe4 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:11:35

Hi, I am hoping I can get some lovely ideas for my mums upcoming 70th birthday. I would like to get her 7 gifts - one for each decade of her life, I'd like them to be linked with each decade, if you see what I mean. I am ok with things from more recent decades but the early ones I'm not so sure. My dad's not much help and she has no siblings to ask. We're also going away for the weekend to a cottage but worrying now that its a bit remote. I'd be ok with ideas if it was just with my little family but my sisters children have SN (and she's not helping with ideas - too busy) so nervous of what we could get up to. My mums doesn't drink, like interesting food, films etc but she's lovely and deserves something really special. We went to France for my dad's a few years ago and had an amazing time, but changes to circumstances mean that can't happen for mum and I'm just worried it's all going to be a bit flat. Any ideas would be very welcome!

Leticia Wed 08-Nov-17 16:37:57

I don't think anyone means that. I got a book of memories for my 50th, which was lovely- I also went skiing. You can have the memories at any age- one of my sons got one as he left primary school.

DotMH1901 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:45:47

Depending on how much you have to spend perhaps you could arrange an afternoon tea at home or in a hired hall and hire someone to do a musical event with favourite songs?

midsummermadness Wed 08-Nov-17 17:29:23

I agree with DanniRae, Leticia and others. I definitely wouldn't want a nostalgic visit to years gone by. Yuk! I went canoeing down a beautiful river in Provence with some of my family for my 70th. I still feel like life is for living now, not looking back to the past... which probably wasn't that wonderful anyway, if I'm honest.

rocketstop Wed 08-Nov-17 17:34:17

I apologise if anyone has said this before , as I haven't read everyone's replies, but for a friend I got a set of old coins from the year of her birth, you can get these on ebay etc, usually inn a nice wallet. It's amazing the memories holding these coins brings up 'Oh I used to buy a kit kat every week with my 3d spening money; or 'This coin was in my first wage packet and when I'd handed the money to my Mother she gave me back half a crown' Then this leads on to conversations about the money and times that the person remembers , it sparks off a whole load of things that everyone can be a part of discussing.

pollyperkins Wed 08-Nov-17 17:34:23

I'm all for nostalgia (it's not what it used to be!) but I am also active and enjoy many of the other suggestions. They are not mutually exclusive!

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Nov-17 17:49:09

Soon, your plans for your mum's celebration sound lovely, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the thought and love you've put in. To be honest, some of the comments on here have been plain rude. Perhaps some would do well to remember....it's not always about you.

quizqueen Wed 08-Nov-17 18:04:39

Sorry, I would hate the idea of someone buying me things from the last 7 decades and I can always buy myself a certain item, should I want it. What I would like to receive would be to see a performance/performer I liked or to be taken somewhere I have always wanted to go e.g. the Buckingham Palace tour or to receive a coupon book containing 7 favours I could call in e.g. to have a room repainted, trees pruned etc. if my relatives had such skills (they don't! although my younger daughter always cook something I like like scones).
My girls asked what I would like for my 60th and I asked them to take me to see War of the Worlds on stage. The tickets were £80 each and the 3 of us went with them splitting the cost. Experiences to give one memories are so much better than material items, I think, especially as you get older. For my birthday every year we go to a Toby Carvery as I never cook a roast any more so that 's a treat and they ask for a list of small items to buy. If I make it to 70, I'm still considering what I'd like but probably a show again.

susieken Wed 08-Nov-17 18:07:53

A lovely present is The Book of Everyone. Find it on google and have a look. I have given it to two friends and they loved it. Have a look.

cheerfullizzy Wed 08-Nov-17 18:18:53

Is there any chance you could get a refund on the cottage idea & go for a luxurious afternoon tea gathering instead? Browns hotel Mayfair , do a lovely afternoon tea...I went once courtesy of my Daughter and will never forget it!! OR..how about a promised hairdressers treat, for a new modern hair do to make her feel confident and pampered, and some clothing vouchers/shopping spree for a make over to make her feel extra special? whatever you do...it's having family around and the thought that counts! have a smashing time..try not to worry...it'll turn out lovely! good luck!xx

soontobe4 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:38:52

Thanks again everyone - I didn't realise most people don't read the full thread on Gransnet! Lots of the things suggested are things I do with /for my mum. We did the London shows / fancy afternoon tea when I lived in London (don't anymore) and also growing up. We regularly go out for lunch when we all meet up and we do chip in with painting the house etc (when they decide we are allowed too). She would also hate lots of these suggestions (doesn't like swimming / water so canoeing is out and would hate to go to a hairdressers different to her own. She wouldn't see me paying for that as a treat and would probably just be cross!). As I say, I already have her actual present sorted, it was just some thoughtful extra's to make things special, generate some chat - she loves talking about when she was younger (and as Pollyperkins says that doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to enjoying the moment / future). I'm no longer worrying about how we'll fill the weekend, it's going to be fabulous!

Jamison Wed 08-Nov-17 19:30:49

If your mum is as nice and thoughtful as you, she will love your plans for her special day.

LuckyFour Wed 08-Nov-17 20:24:18

You can get newspapers from any date in the past. It would
be nice to have one of these for her birth date.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Nov-17 21:06:34

I’m 70 this weekend too! The family are all descending on us here and I’m having a bit of a do with my favourite friends. (Food courtesy of M&S). I wish my lot would have spoilt me the way you’re doing!

Your dad should be able to help finding old photos. Photo books, 60s meal and a family tree, CDs of the places she grew up (Cirencester in the 60s sort of thing) are all I can think of as well.

Caro1954 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:37:03

Lots of lovely ideas on here - I like the music, newspaper from the day she was born and the notelets best.
But there I was thinking how kind you were OP going to all this trouble for your "old" Mum when I suddenly thought, "wait a minute DH will be 70 next year!" I suppose I'd better get my thinking cap on ...
Good luck OP I hope you all have a lovely time. flowers

queenofsaanich69 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:53:01

River walk,you have definitely nailed it perfect idea with the newspapers also photo album,my daughter did one for her Dad of pictures and sayings from the grandchildren,he loves it so much.You sound a wonderful daughter ,good luck

tiredoldwoman Thu 09-Nov-17 20:22:40

I would love your cottage away with family , a birthday fire to toast mallows etc. I always like music and singalongs - could you all sing a medley of songs from her decades , turn it into a wee concert ? I'm sure that she'll just love being with you all .

Witzend Fri 10-Nov-17 09:04:17

For my dh's 70th recently, a dd had a photo book made, compiled from many significant/best ones from as far back as we had photos, inc. old black and white from his childhood.
I had to root out as many as poss from umpteen albums - took ages so I had to wait until I knew he was going to be out of the house for hours!
There were also blank pages in the book, where friends and family wrote messages, including emails from friends/relatives too far away to attend the do - copied in by dd.
My Dh is incredibly hard to buy anything for - doesn't really want anything and if he does (usually books) he will often just order them from amazon, but he was really delighted with this.

AlexG Fri 10-Nov-17 09:05:13

I'm 70 next year and would hate to have 'things' given to me relating to the seven decades of my life. As someone else said, now is the time when we are trying to clear belongings not add to them. And as I'm currently clearing my MIL's belongings - where she definitely did not de-clutter - I am certainly going to start so no-one has to clear up after me! Why don't you get her 70 little presents? Which could be as little as a pen, handcream, nice scarf, chocolate bar she likes, book of stamps etc. Now I've started thinking of little things I'm sure I could manage to find 70!

annsixty Fri 10-Nov-17 09:57:43

As one who never gets things done for her, I was very jealous of a friend whose two D's organised a treat foe each month of her 70th year. It started with a weekend in a hotel and progressed with a meal out ,a theatretrip, day out in the summer etc.
She had something to look forward to and anticipate every month.

IngeJones Fri 10-Nov-17 10:34:46

Lol soontobe4 "Thanks again everyone - I didn't realise most people don't read the full thread on Gransnet!" Such a polite way of making a point :D

goldengirl Fri 10-Nov-17 11:48:48

I'm 70 soon and certainly don't want more stuff however well meant unless it's a family picture or a picture of an era I'm interested in. I like non fiction books such as art era ones. Perhaps focusing on a particular interest might be a way forward? A family reunion would be welcome - as long as it came with a jazz band grin

Elrel Fri 10-Nov-17 20:53:03

You might get ideas for things typical of a decade from the TV series of the family who go Back in Time for Dinner. I mean not so much the actual food but the interior décor of the home. A lava lamp for the 70s for instance. I’m sure you’ll do her proud anyway!