Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mum's 70th

(123 Posts)
soontobe4 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:11:35

Hi, I am hoping I can get some lovely ideas for my mums upcoming 70th birthday. I would like to get her 7 gifts - one for each decade of her life, I'd like them to be linked with each decade, if you see what I mean. I am ok with things from more recent decades but the early ones I'm not so sure. My dad's not much help and she has no siblings to ask. We're also going away for the weekend to a cottage but worrying now that its a bit remote. I'd be ok with ideas if it was just with my little family but my sisters children have SN (and she's not helping with ideas - too busy) so nervous of what we could get up to. My mums doesn't drink, like interesting food, films etc but she's lovely and deserves something really special. We went to France for my dad's a few years ago and had an amazing time, but changes to circumstances mean that can't happen for mum and I'm just worried it's all going to be a bit flat. Any ideas would be very welcome!

maryhoffman37 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:19:25

What a lovely idea! I'm 72 so roughly contemporary. Did she like pop music? You could get some of the hits from each decade.

There's also a series of books called The 1940s Britain in Pictures, one for each decade, at least the early ones.

midgey Wed 08-Nov-17 10:22:47

Would be interesting to know the ages of those advocating...stuff.. rather than experiences! I shall be seventy soon and really I don’t want more stuff!

Nona4ever Wed 08-Nov-17 10:23:00

Going with the idea of gifts for the future rather than from the past how about a subscription to a favourite magazine -maybe not ‘The Oldie’ if she’s sensitive about her age! Or a year’s supply of flowers, delivered monthly?

Marion58 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:24:07

I think I am very miserable! I don't want presents for any occasion. Unless you can eat them you have to find homes for presentS. Often giving them away which makes me feel very guilty when someone has spent hard earned money on you. Just having a meal with the friend concerned or family is all I need. If it's a birthday then just a card for me. A present is good if you know the person really can use it. I cannot imagine anyone finding 70 nice different comments to put on cards for me. This mum must be a very special lady and one who will be very happy whatever she receives. Don't worry too much just enjoy being together

NanaRayna Wed 08-Nov-17 10:27:29

I'm 63 in a couple of weeks and what I'd like for my birthday is a very intelligent and considerate Toy Boy...if anyone is giving one away? wink

Zorro21 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:36:27

Best to ask you Mum what she would like to do rather than guess. I'd hate a pile of coasters with photos on personally.

LizHand Wed 08-Nov-17 10:37:00

I managed to find a little nursery plate in a London antique market for my mothers 70th, from 1932, which had a Mabel Lucie Attwell painting. It didnt cost a fortune but is a bit of an investment piece now which she still displays with pride. I also commissioned a hand made teddybear on behalf of all the grandchildren who we had dressed in our family tartan but you could equally have dressed to reflect a memory. They each sit cosily in her study to enjoy alongside all our old family photos and one we had done with everyone to celebrate the event.

Zorro21 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:38:19

However, a year's supply of flowers or chocolates would be fantastic ! Or a magazine of her choice.

Zorro21 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:39:14

or a National Trust membership or something in that line - English Heritage.

quEEEniE Wed 08-Nov-17 10:39:43

for my 70th birthday one of my presents from my daughter was 'the book of ann" from thebookofeveryone.com. very amusing.

Zorro21 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:41:44

Hairdressing is expensive - get her a gift token for a hairdo.

Zorro21 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:42:43

what does SN mean ? sisters children have SN.

Nemoiudex Wed 08-Nov-17 10:43:30

When my father had his 70th birthday we had a weekend stay in a country hotel, all having meals together and going out to National Trust and other attractions together.

My father made his views plain - a family reunion is a far better present than any other, and a regular family reunion once a year is, for him, perfection. He's not interested in photo albums, gadgets, toys or anything else for him to gaze at mournfully by himself while the rest of the family gets on with its own life.

JanaNana Wed 08-Nov-17 10:45:55

I am 70 myself and what a lovely idea you are doing for your mum. I wonder if she might like a newspaper of the day she was born. There are company"s on line that do these. It might not be everyone's idea but I think she might enjoy the nostalgia.

beckywitch Wed 08-Nov-17 10:51:19

I had a brilliant 70th present. An outing every month for the following year. Not necessarily too expensive eg a comedy club, a concert at a local venue, a particular museum visit, a meal out when visiting one of the sons etc.
And a special one - a meal on the North Yorks Railway.

It was a really super idea and the present lasted a whole 12 months. They actually made it into a book with a page for each outing and had it printed as a lasting reminder.

IngeJones Wed 08-Nov-17 10:59:42

It's a lovely idea, which some mums would be overjoyed with, but first take into account what sort of person she is? I am just saying this cos if my children did something like this for me I'd have to pretend to be grateful cos I hate clutter and I prefer my memories tidied away in my head where they're not cluttering up my home. I'd rather have one big present, maybe to do with a current hobby or something that will improve my life at home. I guess what I am saying is, is she the sentimental type or the practical type?

pollyperkins Wed 08-Nov-17 11:02:16

A variation on the newspaper idea - a copy ofctge Adio Times from each decade. The 40s would be radio only I guess but its fun to reminisce about the programmes you enjoyed years ago. Also photos, notes from friends. I would prefer that to lts more presents which I might not like.

acanthus Wed 08-Nov-17 11:04:32

I agree with others who say that 'things' seem unimportant when you reach three score years and ten (and beyond!). I know it's not always possible if you are in poor health, but fun experiences and/or family get-togethers are far more enjoyable that presents. Since my mid-sixties I seem to be getting more reckless and have had some amazing dare-devil experiences on each birthday. If Mum is not able to do much physically, how about a lovely day out with the family in a stately home with afternoon tea or a family picnic. Personally I wouldn't want to be taken down 'memory lane'.

pollyperkins Wed 08-Nov-17 11:09:41

Sorry- I meant the Radio Times of course!

grannytotwins Wed 08-Nov-17 11:17:23

I’m just two years off 70. I’d hate most of the suggestions on here. I don’t feel old. I go kickboxing twice a week and on Saturday I’m doing an intensive four hour martial arts training. I wouldn’t want anything but my closest family around me on the big day for a simple meal. I wouldn’t want special or themed presents either. Makeup, clothes, flowers, earrings and chocolates would be my choice. I think that the OP is a very caring and thoughtful daughter with creative ideas that maybe her mum would love. Perhaps she could ask her what she would like?

Bambam Wed 08-Nov-17 11:19:34

Soontobe. Hi, I'm with some on here and not too keen on the "decade presents".Personally I would prefer something for myself, like a nice piece of jewelry or perfume.
As far as the weekend being flat!!!! There seems to be enough of you to ensure that this will not be the case.
Have you any family movies from when you were kids and also of your sisters and your kids. Special photos!
You could have a movie/photographic afternoon with a selection of her favourite music playing in the background,(even some singalong) with all her family around her.This would create lovely memories, then at the end of the showing, present her with gifts and birthday cake with candles. Then all go out for super meal together.
This would be my perfect birthday. At 70, looking back, our greatest achievement is our lovely family.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:20:25

I think you have a lovely idea for your mum's 70th birthday - we did something similar when I was a child for my grandparents' golden wedding and they loved it.

Do you know where your mother was born and grew up?
If so you could surf the Internet and see if you can find photos of the street she lived in as a child showing it as it looked then, or the school she first went to. That should cover the first ten years.

The years from 1947 when she was 10, if my subtraction is correct until 1957 could be covered by one of the musical hits of the time. I'm madly trying to remember what we listened to then, but being from 1951 myself, I can only come up with the last few years, but I do remember my mother was daft about songs like "In your Easter bonnet" anything to do with Fred Astaire and Ginger Roberts really.

pamdixon Wed 08-Nov-17 11:22:03

Always photos with me! Love being given them - anything put in a special album is a treat. For my 70th last year, though, my children clubbed together to give me a day at a v. luxurious spa type place- was massaged to within an inch of my life and had mani-pedi etc etc. No hardship!

RosemarySuperager Wed 08-Nov-17 11:52:55

for my MIL's 100th, we put together a slide show with pictures of her and landmarks of her life such as birth certificate, marriage certificate, bits of relevant news from the family associated with photos. We put it up on a projector and watched it as we were waiting for dinner (we were in a hotel, but I'm sure you could manage to do it on a wall in the cottage you're going to. )It was really great as it kept the whole family talking about events and family history and the children really liked it too.

maryhoffman37 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:56:21

I imagine the OP knows her mother pretty well! At least better than we do. I am madly trying to de-clutter but I'd be thrilled with seven carefully chosen presents. Don't let the saddhus on here put you off!