Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Discussing internet issues with grandchildren

(30 Posts)
M0nica Sun 19-Nov-17 18:21:00

It is a question of parents and grandparents working together so that our DGC are getting the same message from all sides. Sometimes grandparents are listened to when a parents words are shrugged off.

Bluegal Sun 19-Nov-17 17:52:50

My GC aren't at that age yet either Apricity but not sure what NanaandGrampy mean by moving this elsewhere? Where? To me its a valid discussion.

All I can say is good on you for for being able to discuss it with your GC. Grooming is a very worrying possibility for everyone. Young children don't understand it and think its just fun at the time.

Norah Sun 19-Nov-17 14:23:32

I have not had these conversations but their mums have.

NanaandGrampy Sun 19-Nov-17 11:51:12

You might want to move this thread Apricity , site stuff usually refers to technical issues etc with the actual forum as opposed to discussion points. You might get more feedback in a different thread.

Apricity Sun 19-Nov-17 10:23:11

Recently I had a spontaneous discussion with 2 grandsons aged 11 and 12 about internet security issues and specifically about the risks of posting intimate photos online. We had a fruitful and surprisingly frank discussion about this issue with grandma talking about "dick pics" and the boys carefully referring to "inappropriate material". We also discussed "grooming" through game websites and other internet sites and the importance of referring anything they felt uncomfortable about to parents/teachers/grandparents. These are very serious issue facing our little ones. Helping them to understand that if a photo is posted online that they lose control of that image FOREVER is very important. I think internet savvy grandparents have a real role to play here. Just wondering about other Gran's experience with these sort of conversations.