Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Maisie has gone manic!!

(16 Posts)
kittylester Sun 17-Dec-17 12:00:16

Maisie, our kitten, is 8 months old and has started racing round the house, in and out of the garden, up and down the stairs etc. Can anyone tell me why?

None of our other cats have behaved like this, Feliway seemed to make things worse and we are at a loss. She does seem to have very sensitive hearing but it seems to be getting worse.

Any ideas, suggestions?

shysal Sun 17-Dec-17 13:29:22

Icy weather or strong winds make my cats go bananas! Perhaps when the weather cheers up Maisie will calm down. Of course it could be her age (teenager). At around that age my Bengal sisters used to do what I called the Wall of Death (think fairground motorcycle stunt) around the furniture in the bedroom at night, sending everything flying. Good luck! Hope you find a solution.

Fennel Sun 17-Dec-17 14:03:51

It could be the cold weather. I don't know much about cats, but we have one aged about 12 and she has mad times like that when it's frosty - chasing a dead leaf up and down the passage, fighting with the small items of washing on the clothes horse etc.

Jane10 Sun 17-Dec-17 15:54:40

Yup. The wall of death analogy certainly fits two of the boys we once had. At that time we had hessian wallpaper on our hall and stair but Tam and Archive used to go upstairs at great speed sideways on the wall!

MIssFriday Sun 17-Dec-17 16:17:45

Is she in season?

kittylester Sun 17-Dec-17 17:24:38

Doubt she's in season quite yet Friday but we would like her to have one litter!

ninathenana Sun 17-Dec-17 17:26:12

Good question MissFriday.

We have a 3 y.o. male that does the same though including the wall of death and skating from the back door across the kitchen floor and turning a 45 degree angle and exiting the door to the dining room all in one movement.
It's quiet an art tchsmile

ninathenana Sun 17-Dec-17 17:28:39

8mths is prime age for 1st season kitty

MIssFriday Sun 17-Dec-17 17:35:03

I don't have cats now but I did once. And my kitten started her first ( and last) season at 8 months. Her behaviour was odd too. I didn't want kittens from her so it was a quick trip to the vets as I also had her brother.

midgey Sun 17-Dec-17 17:37:27

I bet she is in season, and far too young to have a litter!

MissAdventure Sun 17-Dec-17 17:51:30

My cats have always had the odd 'mad half hour'. Its one of the things I love about them.

Cherrytree59 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:04:21

Well one if our inherited Norwegian forest cats has never grown up!
A tom, so can't blame hormones.
11yrs old but has always had moments of madness
Running around the room or garden literally swinging from the lights or running up and down
tree trunks in quick succession.

Pre grandchildren we had a long pond up the middle of the garden and he would pass the time jumping from side to side.

His brother on the other hand us quite sedategrin

Jane10 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:03:27

We had a Norwegian Forest Cat once. Boy was she a tough cookie! Saw off large dogs no bother. She used to run up trees in a spiral motion and could usually be found surveying her kingdom from the garage roof. She was totally devoted to me but loathed DH. She went out one day and never came back. No trace anywhere in the district. It was awful. Sad just remembering her.

Cherrytree59 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:35:39

Oh that is sad Jane.
That is the big worry with cats

We lost the other forest cat for three days,
The not knowing what had happened to him was awful.
We had posters all over the village
It turned out he had been kept hostage by a huge Tom cat that was even bigger than him and that's saying something!
He had been only a few doors away under the decking!.

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:12:58

Has she been neutered?
Has she been smelling catnip?

I have never heard of a Norwegian Forest Cat

ElaineI Sun 17-Dec-17 23:55:12

Our elderly cat still does this. She doesn't have a flea as that can bother them like this or ear mites?