Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Frozen avocado

(34 Posts)
granfromafar Mon 08-Jan-18 21:50:54

Noticed bags of frozen avocado slices in Iceland and was very surprised to see such things. I love avocados but it's always tricky to find them at the right level of ripeness, even when they are advertised as ' ready to eat'. Did a quick Google search and apparently Waitrose and Tesco have been selling them for a while. Reviews vary. Has anyone tried them and what do you think of them?

Jalima1108 Tue 09-Jan-18 20:07:30

As they are available all year round here then I can't see the point of frozen ones.
Peas - yes, they freeze beautifully - but avocados, no!

Shepard are the best variety imo but not so readily available here. However, they are larger, so Hass would be better as it's best to eat them all and not save them.

Doversole Tue 09-Jan-18 20:39:17

I too tried Tesco frozen avocados and they just didn't taste quite right. Frozen cherries (they call them Dark Sweet Cherries on the packet) on the other hand are absolutely delicious . The ones in Sainsburys are the best. Closely followed by the ones in Morrisons and Aldi, then the ones in Tesco, which are slightly smaller fruits but still pretty good.

Frozen mango is also nice. Better than fresh quite often.

inishowen Tue 09-Jan-18 22:03:07

I bought the frozen ones but when defrosted they had no flavour and ended up being thrown away.

granfromafar Tue 09-Jan-18 22:28:44

Well thanks for your replies and as the overwhelming response is 'don't bother', I won't! Am looking forward to enjoying some lovely fresh ones when we go on holiday to Australia soon.Thanks for the recipe links Jalima.

GrannyJan9 Wed 10-Jan-18 02:27:20

Just OMG OMG! frozen avocados sound really yukky even before I read this thread..... I buy lots of fresh they are soooo yummy, and no problems with ripening!

NanaNancy Wed 10-Jan-18 05:15:57

Frozen yeck! However, the fresh ones will keep several weeks in your fridge and no matter when opened douse with lime juice and avoid the black mess.

Jalima1108 Wed 10-Jan-18 10:19:31

gransfromafar - enjoy your trip to Australia envy
The recipes have not been tried and tested personally - I found the links online but they do look quite good!

mummyagain Thu 25-Jan-18 08:39:02

Oh I'm so glad you posted this - I was considering buying a bag yesterday - had never seem them frozen before bit I'll give it a miss haha