Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Frozen avocado

(33 Posts)
granfromafar Mon 08-Jan-18 21:50:54

Noticed bags of frozen avocado slices in Iceland and was very surprised to see such things. I love avocados but it's always tricky to find them at the right level of ripeness, even when they are advertised as ' ready to eat'. Did a quick Google search and apparently Waitrose and Tesco have been selling them for a while. Reviews vary. Has anyone tried them and what do you think of them?

mollie Mon 08-Jan-18 22:09:17

Yes, I’ve got a bag in the freezer right now but I’ve yet to work out the best way to use them. Get them out, wait to defrost and they go black. Not a pretty look. Ideas anyone?

jusnoneed Mon 08-Jan-18 22:24:33

Not seen or heard of these, be interesting to see if anyone has found them to be ok. I love fresh avocado.
I bought some frozen pomegranate from Tesco a while back, thought great idea. Absolutely dreadful, you could of broken a tooth on the pips they were so hard! Tasteless too. Luckily I tried them before adding to dish.

SueDonim Mon 08-Jan-18 22:44:42

I tried the Tesco ones. I ended up binning most of the bag, they weren't good for much, disappointingly.

NanaandGrampy Mon 08-Jan-18 23:07:07

I agree with sue , they didn't even make good guacamole . Very disappointing.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 23:07:48

I have no idea, have never heard of avos being frozen hmm

I will try to find out.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 23:08:10

Mind you, it is very rare indeed that we get any good avocados in the shops here.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 23:17:56

Perhaps you could thaw them slightly and make this icecream:
australianavocados.com.au/recipes/avocado-and-pistachio-ice-cream

Or put in a smoothie which would make it nicely chilled:
avocado, raspberries, banana, chia seeds, maple syrup, coconut milk and filtered water.

Dairy-free chocolate mousse:
www.taste.com.au/recipes/dairy-free-avocado-chocolate-mousse/33f015f8-5a87-4b9d-a1fc-91f9e04fa72c

As avocados oxidise and go black when exposed to the air for too long I can't see how you could eat these frozen ones just thawed.
Try sprinkling lemon juice on them as that is supposed to help prevent oxidisation.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 23:18:58

All the above recipes are for fresh avocados though, so don't blame me if they don't work out!

BBbevan Tue 09-Jan-18 05:02:37

I eat a lot of avocados, but have given up on the frozen ones. O.K. in smoothies I suppose but they don't taste quite right. I buy ripen at home ones mostly .

PamelaJ1 Tue 09-Jan-18 08:23:06

I bought some, never again.

blue60 Tue 09-Jan-18 10:17:52

I bought some from Tesco. They didn't have the same taste as fresh ones so I won't be buying them again. Other frozen fruit is great though and saves on waste.

damewithaname Tue 09-Jan-18 10:45:08

I think they are better used in a cold avocado soup made with cream.

GabriellaG Tue 09-Jan-18 11:13:44

They don't even have a taste unless put with other ingredients. All these fads for chia seeds, coconut milk and pomegranate seeds (which again, have no taste and can be like bullets, even the fresh variety) are ships that pass in the night. Avocado on toasted sourdough topped with a poached egg in one eaterie in North London was £7.25.

daffers Tue 09-Jan-18 13:33:33

The fruit trees in my garden is what I miss most of living in Africa. Avocado, Guava, lime, paw paw. All my friends said we served the best gin & tonic because of the added home grown limes

NfkDumpling Tue 09-Jan-18 13:37:53

Or the generous quantity of gin daffers!

Jalima1108 Tue 09-Jan-18 14:02:06

Avocados are good for you and are not a passing fad - but I don't think I will be buying any frozen ones.
Yes, nothing like picking them and eating them straight away daffers although good ones should keep a while without going brown. Perhaps they are picked too soon, transported too far, stored too long?

Pamish Tue 09-Jan-18 15:44:23

I love avocados, the best of all fats. I've been looking for the frozen ones since I saw an ad, toured the new Iceland shop here three times but couldn't find any, too posh for Tottenham? I thought this will be the answer to the avocado-lover's dilemma - buy avocado, wait hours/days/weeks for it to feel just the right amount of ripeness, open avocado, nope I have missed the 30minute window when it was ready to eat. This includes 'ready-to-eat' ones. Frozen would take out that risk. But this sounds doomed. Well I'll try tescos then, guacamole must be possible.

lizzypopbottle Tue 09-Jan-18 16:33:34

Apologies if anyone's already said this. Sainsbury's do a pack of two 'ripe and ready' avocados. They are hass variety which are the best type, we think. We generally try to buy on the day we're going to use them.

Shizam Tue 09-Jan-18 16:49:46

I bought frozen avos from Iceland. They were disgusting! Slimy texture, weird rubbery taste. Even son who will eat anything spat it out!

mollie Tue 09-Jan-18 17:11:54

That’s it! Mine are going in the bin!

Legs55 Tue 09-Jan-18 17:27:18

Not fond of Avocado but frozen is just wrong on all levels

Fennel Tue 09-Jan-18 17:44:45

Lizzy - Hass are the only ones I trust. They're more expensive than others, but always just right.
The only reason I can think of to have them frozen is that their oil is supposed to be good for you, and that shoudn't be affected by freezing.

SueDonim Tue 09-Jan-18 17:54:48

Yes, slimy texture is the problem. When they defrost, they sort of melt and have a coating of slime.

123kitty Tue 09-Jan-18 18:46:36

Recommend popping them in the bin immediately- whatever you do don't try eating them!