Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you doing anything new to keep fit this year?

(44 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 12-Jan-18 15:44:05

Not only have I got a fitbit but I've offered to take my neighbour's dog for a walk every other day ticking off the box of being helpful as well as the one for exercise. So far so good! Some days I don't quite make 10k steps but I'm not far off.

shysal Sat 13-Jan-18 09:27:52

Still walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day, but had to give up my exercise classes last month due to a Polymyalgia flare-up. I have been doing videos at home, which I can modify. I have also bought a Twist & Shape which is quite compact to store in a corner. It is surprisingly knackering when I build up speed and intensity but rather repetitive, so needs some music with a good beat (Now That's What I Call Fitness CD set). If I can only get the 16:8 plan to work for me I shall be on track. I know I am eating too much during the 8 hour window!
twist-and-shape.thanedirect.co.uk/

henetha Sat 13-Jan-18 10:25:54

Well, I was, but......
I will definitely go and walk around the lake this afternoon!

NonnaW Sat 13-Jan-18 11:24:14

No. I did see a new exercise class advertised in the village, starting at 9.00am on Monday - did I go? No, of course not blush Well the thought was there briefly!

Nonnie Sat 13-Jan-18 12:28:48

I haven't been to my Pilates class for months now, haven't had the heart but will get there eventually.

I really don't understand those who think walking is better/less boring than going to the gym. How can walking, presumably pretty much the same route be so much better? I suspect they have never tried a good gym.

Surely going to the gym, with a proper programme tailored to your own needs is less boring and more satisfying? You can listen to music or books on whatever medium you have and assess your improvement as you go along. Doing different types of exercise works different sets of muscles and must be better for you. If you join in classes you may even make new friends.

Now I must rejoin the gym, I know it was good so must motivate myself.

tanith Sat 13-Jan-18 12:38:14

I love to walk a lot but I also do the gym 2/3 times a week as I cycle, row and use 6 different resistance machines each time so with that walking it means a good mix of my joints and muscles get a work out. I listen to the radio or catch up with a TVs program and sometimes have a great chat with someone I would never normally speak to.
There is more to the gym than people think.

waldorfgrosi Sat 13-Jan-18 13:06:59

Let's spread the word about 'active 10s' Bathsheba and let more of us be surprised what can be done with a little encouragement.

Rosieroe Sat 13-Jan-18 14:45:48

I’m just about recovering from being ill for 3 weeks over Christmas. I haven’t had the strength to do anything remotely energetic but intend doing my best to try and capitalize on the approx. 12lbs I’ve lost over that period.

M0nica Sun 14-Jan-18 16:47:11

Nonnie Living in town and country, I have always walked because it is more interesting and no, it isn't walking the same route every day. It is having a large number of different routes taking one over a large area.

It is being out in all weathers and all seasons. Seeing the land change, hearing the first lark of the year, seeing primroses suddenly colonise the country side round my village, topping up my vitamin D. Stopping and chatting to other people I meet. City walking is just as varied, different architecture, parks and gardens, going down little ginnels and finding all sorts of surprises; businesses you didn't know that were there, new developments and again being out all weathers and seeing the changes of the seasons in peoples gardens.

NonnaW I do a weekly pilates class that starts at 8.25am and I go for my walk at 7.00 am or earlier if the light permits, but I am one of life's larks and usually up at 6.00am.

Currently I am doing no exercise at all. I too have the dreaded lurgy, I had hoped it would have cleared by now and I had planned to return to my Tai Chi class tomorrow, but realise now it may well be another week before I am well again and back to my daily walk.

Cold Mon 22-Jan-18 10:59:07

I have started going to the individual disability training session at the warm water pool.

Have also decided to start doing my seated yoga exercises again - although have to be a little careful not to hyperextend my joints

annodomini Mon 22-Jan-18 11:29:35

Keep meaning to re-join the health club and use the pool a lot. However, I'm putting it off again because I've got the lurgi - coughing and sneezing in a very infectious manner. Feeling good for nothing much today. Luckily I have plenty of food in the freezer.

Oopsadaisy52 Mon 22-Jan-18 11:43:50

I’ve just lost 4 lbs, it’s called the Stomach Bug diet, still ongoing so who knows how much weight I will lose. I’m sure if you pop round to see me I can pass the details on to you. Not so sure about the fitness angle though, I took my daughters puppy out last week and fell flat onto my face in the mud, ached for days. Maybe I’ll wait until next month to start my fitness programme. Mind you with no footpaths around our village you can keep pretty fit on a walk leaping into the hedges to avoid the fast cars that nearly run you off the side of the road.

Oopsadaisy52 Mon 22-Jan-18 11:44:57

And when I say hedges I mean ditches, more mud......

Bellasnana Mon 22-Jan-18 11:47:26

I’ve stopped weighing myself and also stopped using a Fitbit as I just feel inadequate if I haven’t reached the magic 10,000 steps.

I do walk everywhere possible and go to the gym twice a week with a personal trainer advising me what to do. I actually enjoy it once I’ve made the effort.

As long as I can fit into my clothes, I’m happy. smile

DanniRae Mon 22-Jan-18 12:25:37

Well this isn't going to sound very impressive but I have started (again) to go up and down on the bottom stair. Stepping up first with right leg for 10 and then left leg for 10. This morning I did 50 (counting up and down as one). I don't mind it not being much of a score as long as next time I attempt it I can do more! I started doing this exercise a few years ago when I went on holiday with 3 other people who were much fitter than me and I knew the holiday place had lots of steps - and it worked. Of course I didn't keep it up but I really need to move a bit more so here goes............grin

goldengirl Mon 22-Jan-18 16:14:44

DH goes walking 2-3 times a day. I find walking boring unless there's a particular aim to it ie get a paper or lunch. This year I thought I might try Nordic Walking or Tai Chi but I want to check them out with my Pilates instructor first who knows my injuries well and what I should and shouldn't do. I will certainly keep up my swimming. Housework is good exercise for me as I rarely do it but I can feel - and see - the benefits when I do grin

Artyfarty Mon 22-Jan-18 17:07:33

Table tennis. Great fun and surprisingly energetic!

Baggs Mon 22-Jan-18 17:30:02

I've never done anything to keep fit. I danced (a lot!) and taught dancing because I enjoyed it. I cycled to work because I enjoyed it. I walked to school with the kids because I enjoyed it. I climbed mountains because I enjoyed it. I swam to help my kids learn and because I enjoyed it.

I guess I was lucky to be able to live in a way that kept me fit just by the way.

The fittest people I know are the same. They don't do things to keep fit. They live in a fit-keeping way because why wouldn't one if one could?

Artyfarty Mon 22-Jan-18 18:59:22

It’s very important to pick an activity you enjoy. I like Zumba because there is a dance element and I love the music. Cycling is good too because it clears the mind and really lifts the spirits.