Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

65 Anyone?

(64 Posts)
Telly Fri 02-Feb-18 17:07:07

Obviously this used to mark retirement but now it can be almost any number and the official retirement age is moving to 68. What about people reaching 65 now - is this a 'special' birthday, assuming they have already retired that is? What do you think? Would you mark it or just let it slip by?

DeeWBW Tue 20-Feb-18 17:35:20

I will be sixty five on Friday (23rd. February) and I'm just getting on with it. I don't feel old enough to be retired: I've just switched from going out to work to a less demanding working from home. I'll 'retire' when I'm ready, which isn't just yet.

Grandma70s Tue 20-Feb-18 17:16:19

I’m with Eeyore on birthdays: “After all, what are birthdays? Here today and gone tomorrow.” I’ve only willingly celebrated one since I was an adult. On my 60th, my two sons look me to Paris! That was special, and I was still active enough to enjoy it. Now I find birthdays rather a nuisance, and am glad when the fuss is over. I’m coming up to 78.

DeeWBW Tue 20-Feb-18 16:54:50

I'm sixty five on Friday (23rd. February) and just letting it slip by. I don't feel 'old' or 'retired', so I'm just going to continue as I have.

Nelliemoser Tue 06-Feb-18 22:59:00

Don't worry about 65. I am facing the next big one later this month.
Now't I can do about it.

NanaMacGeek Tue 06-Feb-18 22:42:10

I've only ever had quiet family meals on my birthday but bowed to pressure to have a close family gathering with a trip to the theatre and a meal out for my 65th. I was considering retirement as well and promised myself and my family that I would enjoy myself. Sadly, my mum had a stroke two days before my birthday and died two days afterwards. Although we laughed a lot on my birthday, and I know Mum would have approved, my memories of that time are affected by events. I'm happy to celebrate others' birthdays but, since my 65th, I've gone back to dining out just with my OH on my birthday and that's how I like it.

annsixty Tue 06-Feb-18 21:13:39

In my family if I don't organise it nothing gets done so I was overwhelmed when my GD took me to London last July for my 80th.
We has a lovely couple of days and went to The London Steak house in Chelsea for a delicious dinner.
I did parties for my H' s 40/50 60th and his retirement, what did he do for mine? Zilch.
I have always cooked us a meal on my birthday although my S cooked on my actual birthday last year when I had shopped for it.
Both my C take after their father in the caring stakes, sadly.

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Feb-18 20:51:40

Here, here Maw. What a happy photo. Looks like you did create some lovely memories.

MawBroon Mon 05-Feb-18 23:05:24

We just managed to celebrate Paws 70th at home. He had only been out of hospital for 10 days so my plans had had to be scaled back more than once.
However we managed to have the whole extended family here for a tea party with bunting and balloons and although it was a mammoth effort for him I think, no I am sure he enjoyed it.
He died a little over 6 weeks later.
So YES celebrate every birthday -big or small and create precious memories if or when the birthday boy/girl is no longer with you.

NfkDumpling Mon 05-Feb-18 21:38:16

65 sort of slipped by. But I turned 70 last November, and felt that deserved a party!

varian Mon 05-Feb-18 19:21:11

In our day no-one celebrated an 18th birthday. The big one was 21. I was married at 20 so never had a 21st party. I don't like to be the centre of attention so never had a 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th or 65th birthday celebration.

My 70th birthday was celebrated with a meal at home (which I cooked) with OH, children, grandchildren, and (surprise guests) my Mum and brother.

For my Mum's eightieth we had a "girls weekend" at Centre Parcs with Mum, her two daughters and five grand-daughters. It was great fun because Mum was very fit and sporty at that age. If I get to 80 in such good nick I wouldn't mind another "girls weekend".

threexnanny Mon 05-Feb-18 10:18:07

We aren't party people either but think every birthday since retirement should be celebrated. Usually we go to a nice hotel and special meal. Every year we have now with our health still reasonably okay is cause for celebration.

Kate22 Mon 05-Feb-18 07:23:04

Yes, my friends and I mark 65th birthdays. When younger people query this I tell them that it used to be a significant birthday for people of my generation and older and that most young people I know feel perfectly entitled to have lavish celebrations for not only their 18th but their 21st as well!

Legs55 Sun 04-Feb-18 19:18:11

I celebrated 40th with a big Party, 60th with my DD, her OH & DGS. I am 63 this year & won't reach State Retirement Age until I'm 66 (took Early Retirement at 50 to care for DH). Might do something for 70th though.

DH celebrated 50th, 65th (retired on his Birthday), he was too ill to celebrate his 70th.

My DM is 90 next year, she started planning her celebrations last year, she's an optimist (most of the female line have lived well into their 90s). She knows what she wants to do. She also celebrated 70th & 80th. So it's all of us from Devon up to Yorkshire to celebrate with her & friends. Great-Granny to 2 adorable DGGSs, there'll be 4 generations present. Fingers crossed her health remains goodsmile

Telly Sun 04-Feb-18 19:01:06

Thanks for all the replies! I have decided to go away for a few days to a rather nice country house hotel, which is more my thing than a proper party! I have no doubt that my children will be organising a big surprise party! (NOT, just kidding)

Cabbie21 Sun 04-Feb-18 18:58:44

I did not celebrate 65. I had a party for extended family when I was 60 and for more immediate family including four GCD for my 70 th. and same group for a pub meal two years later. I can’t imagine reaching 80 but my mum made it to 92 so I have a good chance, I guess.

grannyactivist Sun 04-Feb-18 17:42:01

I had a huge party to celebrate turning 50 and an equally big one for our 25th Anniversary celebration. My 60th was spent quietly in Greece with The Wonderful Man who booked us onto a sunset boat trip - it was wonderful. I shall be 65 on the 2nd of September and I have planned nothing as yet, but I will celebrate it - most likely with a family party.

MaryXYX Sun 04-Feb-18 17:22:44

I'll be 70 later this year - I should have a party.

MaryXYX Sun 04-Feb-18 17:22:24

I was made redundant just after my 64th birthday, so 65 was mainly noted for stopping pretending to be looking for a job to get unemployment benefit and starting to get a pension.

Lynnebo Sun 04-Feb-18 16:18:25

I will be 60 next month and had planned a weekend away with all my children et al but because of recent bad health this had to be cancelled. We will probably all go out for a meal together.

Hildagard Sun 04-Feb-18 16:11:11

Felt exactly like you when I was 60, but five years on and still going strong. Though I won’t be celebrating 65 will wait until 70?

Emptynester Sun 04-Feb-18 15:57:52

We are having a Cornish holiday with all the family and dgcs and no doubt in that week there will be meals out eaten and fizz drunk, but hopefully we will have fun together and a good relaxing time for all.

Nanny41 Sun 04-Feb-18 15:43:52

80 you MUST celebrate, it is a magical number, well done for all who arrive there, 80 I mean!

Yellowmellow Sun 04-Feb-18 13:50:17

I'm with Kathsue. Personally I love to celebrate, andnow see that my own sons make a big thing of their children's and partners (and my birthday). I'm 65 next year...maybe it will be a little more low key than a 60/70th but will still be making it an occasion.....you never know how your health is going to be...or how many birthdays you have left...so...funds permitting..... enjoy x

PamelaJ1 Sun 04-Feb-18 13:47:03

It’s my 65th this year. It’s also my mothers 90th. As so many of our family are spread far and wide the best day to celebrate mums is 2days after mine. So mine is being downgraded. Fine by me.?

Daisyboots Sun 04-Feb-18 13:17:49

For my 65th I had a luncheon party with friends and my beloved Mum and DH. For my 70th birthday I organised a big party in a restaurant for friends and family but only one daughter and family thought it important enough to fly over and join us. Really with what I spent I think I would rather have gone on an exotic holiday but my lovely Mum was still with us and I wouldn't have wanted to leave her. She died 8 months later just short of her 98th birthday. This year is my husband's 70th and I am planning a trip across America by train as his present. He isnt a party person and has no family. My 75th next year will also be celebrated with a holiday.