Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Very warm down and feather winter coat

(27 Posts)
gormenghast Fri 23-Feb-18 18:11:20

i wonder if any Grans out there who really feel the cold can advise me. I,m looking for a down and feather coat. It seems that even though temperatures are glacial at the moment all the stores are bringing in their spring and summer ranges. Its not just cold bodies like me - people who are holidaying in places like Scandinavia and Russia need warm coats. Help!!

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 02-Mar-18 13:50:52

Suedonim, Landsend have stated that their Goose Down is ethically sourced, when they were accused of the live plucking of Geese,if it wasn’t then, I guess it will be now....

janeainsworth Fri 02-Mar-18 13:28:44

If you go for the Uniqlo ones, their sizes sometimes run quite big.
I’m size 12 -14 and got the large size because I’m tall, but they were massive and I had to give them to DD.
I then ordered the medium size which were ok but still generously sized.

gormenghast Fri 02-Mar-18 13:21:32

I want to thank everyone for their advice on where to get a really warm coat. I bought a black coat from Landsend. The only one left in my size was tall, but this means it is three inches longer than the standard coat and covers more of my legs. Ive worn it out in temperatures of -2and It is the real deal . I'm now going to look at the fleece lined tights in Primark and the Uniglo ones to cover the rest of me. Then I'll be cold-proofed from head to toe.Thank you all again.

SueDonim Tue 27-Feb-18 19:17:16

Is the goosedown ethically-sourced, NanKate?

I'm thinking of a new coat for next winter but don't want one which involves animal cruelty.

NanKate Tue 27-Feb-18 18:54:25

My lovely goose down coat has arrived today in the sale from Landsend. Fits a treat, half price, and really pleased for the recommendation. I am now ready for the snow. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

storynanny Sun 25-Feb-18 17:42:22

Primark do some cheap fleece lined tights which are good for keeping warm under trousers. Probably out of season now though so might not still be available

janeainsworth Sun 25-Feb-18 17:31:21

I wear leggings under trousers, gormenghast.
This year I got some heattech ones from Uniqlo (see Suzie’s link above.
They are amazing, quite fine but so warm and cosy. Even DD who cannot bear anything ‘prickly’ likes them.

annodomini Sun 25-Feb-18 17:23:28

I have a Landsend padded coat with a detachable hood. It was on offer 4 years ago and still looks as good as new. It's synthetic - not down - but also very warm Around the top and in the hood it is lined with self-coloured (navy) faux fur. I've washed it a couple of times - the last time I also used a water-proofing product, though I try to get out of the rain as much as possible - generally make a dive for the car!

gormenghast Sun 25-Feb-18 17:07:58

Hi everyone. I have ordered a couple of coats from Lands End, 2 sizes: 14 -16 and 16 -18 as being a 16 I don't know which will be the better fit. I'll then send the other one back.
But thank you for all of your suggestions, especially kittylester.I know what you mean about missing BHS varian. I bought a plain light grey anorak there about six years ago and it is still looking smart and comes up beautifully after a wash. A jewel at £20 in their sale.
By the way does anyone wear tights under their trousers to keep warm in the winter and what sort do you wear so as not to be itchy?

gormenghast Sat 24-Feb-18 23:17:00

Thank you everybody.I have been very taken with Landsend and went onto their website sale.They have very few long coats left and those they had were either very small or very large. I am a 16. Also all the stockists are preparing for spring and summer
I forgot to sayI suffer from the cold very badly so need a very warm, preferably quilted coat

NanKate Fri 23-Feb-18 22:21:14

On your recommendation Kitty and Norah I have just ordered a very nice teal coloured winter coat and grey hat from Landsend. I am looking forward to wearing them in the forthcoming cold snap. ❄️❄️❄️❄️

NanKate Fri 23-Feb-18 20:30:24

To keep my legs warm whilst out I wear thermal long pants under trousers and over that I put waterproof trousers £15 from Milletts, they are excellent. I shall be wearing those tomorrow, plus an alpaca coat style cape whilst watching my GS play football on a frozen cold pitch ?‍♂️?

varian Fri 23-Feb-18 20:16:39

I bought a super watm lightweight waterproof cosy coat a few years ago from BHS. Sadly missed shop.

kittylester Fri 23-Feb-18 20:04:42

LandsEnd always have a sale on. I've got a couple of LandsEnd coats and love them.

Eglantine21 Fri 23-Feb-18 20:00:05

Asda have got a really nice blue one. £25. A bargain!

Norah Fri 23-Feb-18 19:30:58

I like Northface and Lansend. Warm and cozy.

Nanah67 Fri 23-Feb-18 19:20:40

I have 2 one is Michael Kors bought it in tkmaxx for 70 pounds...the other is regatta 40 in sale in January.

Mapleleaf Fri 23-Feb-18 19:15:18

A lot of quilted coats are slimmer in their look now. However, does it really matter as long as you’re warm?

suzied Fri 23-Feb-18 19:14:36

www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/women/outerwear/down

suzied Fri 23-Feb-18 19:13:21

Uniqlo have plenty of light warm coats, I’m not sure whether they are feathers or synthetic.

JackyB Fri 23-Feb-18 19:04:54

I think those quilted ones make people look like Michelin men. Most unflattering.

gmelon Fri 23-Feb-18 18:46:39

I have about five, look for one with a zip that opens from the bottom as well as the top.Then you can sit or drive without opening the whole coat and losing body heat.

Puffa is one of the original brand names, mine is light as air, very thin and so so warm.
I also have North Face and another is made by Levis .

They are all quite compact, sweet little coats, but oh so warm.

gormenghast Fri 23-Feb-18 18:24:56

Thank you both. Nightowl I am going to look for an alternative I think.Id love to hear some more suggestions as to materials that are just as warm and weatherproof.

nightowl Fri 23-Feb-18 18:18:24

Down and feather is an extremely cruel industry. I urge you to look for an alternative.

www.peta.org/features/down-investigation/

whitewave Fri 23-Feb-18 18:17:35

Go on line. I am wearing mine at the moment, but that is from Jaeger last year. Look at the Scandinavian sites they always have lovely jackets. My next buy - hopefully[grin shhhh!