Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Buying Tights

(56 Posts)
jusnoneed Sun 25-Feb-18 08:48:10

I don't usually wear tights, find them uncomfortable and too warm but having seen the forecast for the next week or two I bought some from Boots last week. Put a pair on this morning, so tight I could barely get the things up my legs!
I am a larger lady, and they say on pack 22/24 but it felt as if I couldn't move without them ripping into holes. They came straight off again.
So my question is where do you buy your tights? Especially anyone who needs larger sizes.

MesMopTop Sun 25-Feb-18 23:36:06

I also used to buy my tights from Silkies Grandmater, they were brilliant. I liked the support tights for work. Most tights don’t appreciate that people’s legs also come in all shapes and sizes.,If you’re lucky enough to get s fit around the hips then the legs are either too short or too long. They forget that bigger bums usually have fatter legs attached to them but the legs usually only come up mid thigh and smaller bums have legs that could fit a friend in. The Silkies range seemed to understand this and they were a perfect fit.,I always bought 2 pairs exactly the same and if one leg laddered I’d cut if off and do the same with the next pair. I’d then wear the two legs when on the night shift, the double pantee bit keeping my rear nice and cosy in the cold. Putting them in the freezer for a while before you start wearing them is said to help prevent them snagging or ripping as easily ?

Helski Mon 26-Feb-18 06:19:47

Heist are the tights to go for, although they are really expensive they are fabulous. So comfortable, in fact, I've thrown all of my other tights away and just have three pairs of these that I look after carefully.
If you look around you can probably find a discount voucher too.

SeaWatcher Mon 26-Feb-18 07:42:15

I always get mine in Marks and Spencer. They're fairly expensive but last for ages and keep their shape. They go up to an XL size which is probably 18-20, possibly 18-22.

jusnoneed Mon 26-Feb-18 08:21:12

Thanks for all your replies, seems a very hit and miss business lol.
I have squeezed into a pair of these Boots ones, feel as if my legs are in a straight jacket but will see if they are any warmer by the time I've walked to work. They may not last long once I'm there though! I have always had chunky legs, eg I cannot buy boots that go around my calf - have tried many over the years.

Kupari45 Mon 26-Feb-18 16:35:29

I buy tights from Evans. I get the largest size, and they are really comfortable for my size 22-Height 5"-7" shape.
They dont cut me in two -as Boots / M&S do.