Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Buying Tights

(55 Posts)
GrandmaMoira Sun 25-Feb-18 09:44:11

I always buy tights in a larger size than I am though they are still not comfortable and not worn often. I don't know anywhere selling them in extra large sizes. For the very cold weather I wear leggings under trousers with two pairs of socks.

Humbertbear Sun 25-Feb-18 09:35:20

I too prefer thin leggings to tights. If I do need tights I go to M n S. I did try Primark but they came up to my armpits!

MaggieMay60 Sun 25-Feb-18 09:13:24

I don't buy tights any more, I am like you a larger lady. I find that they grab me in places that are better left alone and if I do manage to fight my way into a pair they end up with wrinkles like Norah Batty. I usually where a longer skirt and knee high socks but have bought some leggings and they can be worn under a thicker skirt with ankle boots and they look fine. Sorry I cannot say where to find ones that would fit without a fight! grin

hildajenniJ Sun 25-Feb-18 09:11:30

I haven't bought tights for years, justnoneed. The last ones I had were from a supermarket. I buy medium, but these would have fit a giant, as they were too long. I looked like Norah Batty!! I also still have a pair of thick patterned tights that I bought in a local clothes shop and they have a short body. Perhaps they are supposed to be hipsters, but they are uncomfortable and I keep tugging them up.

jusnoneed Sun 25-Feb-18 08:48:10

I don't usually wear tights, find them uncomfortable and too warm but having seen the forecast for the next week or two I bought some from Boots last week. Put a pair on this morning, so tight I could barely get the things up my legs!
I am a larger lady, and they say on pack 22/24 but it felt as if I couldn't move without them ripping into holes. They came straight off again.
So my question is where do you buy your tights? Especially anyone who needs larger sizes.