Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Feeding the birds

(60 Posts)
morethan2 Wed 28-Feb-18 17:37:52

I am so not a bird lover, really scared. Today I noticed some tiny little birds, think they may be blue tits scrabbling around my patio. So I worried they were hungry the only thing I’ve got that’s suitable is some fruit and nut mix. Ive put two lots out and it’s gone in half an hour. Is this safe for them? I don’t want to do more harm than good. I’m not going to the shop for birds seed it lethal here. Advice appreciated.

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Mar-18 09:34:33

Easily pleased me. smile smile
I have just had two beautiful Goldfinches stop for a short while at my bird feeder. It has made my day.
I am also becoming a bird watcher.

Liz46 Mon 05-Mar-18 10:02:07

Our blue tits love meal worms but won't eat peanuts. The blackbird sits under the feeder eating the worms knocked out by the blue tits. The robins had a tough time at first trying to hang onto the feeder for long enough to get a worm but they are as agile as the blue tits now! I was a bit put out when I read that meal worms are fed on human excrement in China.

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Mar-18 10:03:27

I have gone all Wordsworthian. The daffodils on my patio were looking very sorry for themselves two days ago after those dreadful icy winds , but they have raised their heads again and are looking up.
As I walked about the garden I heard lots of little birds twittering as before.

I warned you. wink I was wondering how they survived ,
ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/ask-an-expert/previous/coldnights.aspx

Agus Mon 05-Mar-18 10:04:28

Easily pleased too as I get pleasure having my morning coffee watching various birds arriving for breakfast. Perfect way to start the day.

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Mar-18 11:01:10

I do wonder how dogs survived a generation ago
Dogs lived on scraps years ago, none of this tinned meat or special dried food which is apparently essential these days.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Mar-18 11:06:38

I ve recently started feeding the birds never did before as the neighboutprs cats were always stalking my garden however I got bought a nice bird feeder for my recent birthday then didn’t know what to put in it ground up some peanuts and porridge oats and ground up some musili hope that’s ok ( glad I did a quick look at this post as iPad speller had changed it to ground up Muslims ?

Tegan2 Wed 07-Mar-18 16:02:24

The birds pretty much ignored the food I put out for them when it snowed; having decided it's time to clear it out of the garden, they're now happily munching away. Maybe they prefer it when it's gone rancid confused...

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Mar-18 23:41:59

I put out a seed mix which I'd bought for myself and didn't want - they ate most of it but left all the pumpkin seeds hmm

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Mar-18 23:42:35

and refused the slightly wrinkly apples.

They are very fussy round here.