Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gone off in a huff

(184 Posts)
minxie Tue 06-Mar-18 09:48:13

Hi,
So, I have a dog phobia and I've had it for as long as I can remember.
My Mil has a Dog and I haven't been there for a long time, (she lives two hours away) it worries me for days before hand and him indoors threw me last night by saying he wants me go with him on Mother's day to go visit. We had already booked to go for a Meal here or so I thought.
He told me I was selfish and making excuses, I don't Understand why I would be making excuses other than I'm scared of dogs.OH said they would put the dog in his cage, but that make me feel guilty. You can't keep a dog in a Cage all day and I swear Fil is hating me as his dog is locked in a cage all day. OH does a lot for my aged dad and I feel bad I can't reciprocate
So this Morning he's got up and gone out without word.
I don't know what to do

Goodbyetoallthat Sat 10-Mar-18 16:50:28

Yes good luck. I am a doggie person too but totally understand that that not everyone is. Hopefully the day can be split up, dog in cage part of the time, out for walks & separate rooms.
Happy Mothers Day for tomorrow everyone, however you spend it!

Patsy70 Sat 10-Mar-18 16:42:34

Good luck for tomorrow, Minxie. I love dogs, but when I was a child was quite nervous of them. Taking a treat is a great idea, and once over your fear you will be able to enjoy visiting parks and going on country walks. I would definitely recommend getting some form of treatment. Let us know how you get on. Don't know why this thread is all mixed up!
confused.

pollyperkins Sat 10-Mar-18 16:09:46

This thread, like many others, has appeared on my facebook page!

Elegran Sat 10-Mar-18 11:19:03

Minxie (the original poster) has said on Thu 08-Mar-18 21:12:19 that she intends to go " . . . thank you all. I am going on Sunday and I’m takin a dog treat with me. Hopefully I can give it to him personally as I’m working on at least saying hello to him."

LynneB59 Sat 10-Mar-18 09:31:26

You really need to make an effort to go. The dog certainly should NOT be in a cage all day (for any reason at all). Could it be in another room for an hour or 2? Dogs shouldn't be alone for more than 4 hours, as they are pack animals and can become lonely, distressed and depressed when away from their pack (family)

You need to seek Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to overcome your aversion to dogs. Your GP should be able to help with that.

I'm a cat-lover, have had cats for 38 years, and it used to piss me off so much when my (now late)MIL and my husband's (adult) sister used to visit and insist that my cats were put outside or in another room. It took a few years before I stood my ground and told them not to visit unless they understood that my house was a home to my cats.

I'm with your husband and his family on this. Make an effort. The dog isn't going to bite you. You don't need to sit near it.

Alexa Sat 10-Mar-18 09:19:07

I was all set to leave my dead body to research at the neighbouring university (I'm too old for spare parts donations). But they insisted upon referring to my future donation as a 'cadaver' which was insultingly impersonal. My dead body was to be a gift during and after dissection.

Sorry!

Baggs Fri 09-Mar-18 16:53:20

I doubt if human corpse dissectors liked or disliked alive people any more than anyone else. Dead is quite different from alive.

Baggs Fri 09-Mar-18 16:52:03

Thankfully enough people were interested enough to dissect human bodies that we have amazing surgery available nowadays.

Baggs Fri 09-Mar-18 16:51:04

I think if one was properly interested in worms dissecting one would be fascinating. Likewise cows' eyes and other things thst provoke eeuw in some people.

Baggs Fri 09-Mar-18 16:49:46

My brother and I used to fight over who got the chicken heart to dissect whenever mum was cooking chicken. I don't think she ever bought one without the giblets. Perhaps they weren't sold without edible innards back then.

Baggs Fri 09-Mar-18 16:48:27

I'd be afraid of a dangerous snake, but I'd still eat it if it was good to eat.

Phobia isn't the same as fear, is it?

MissAdventure Fri 09-Mar-18 16:47:00

We had to dissect a cows eye.. ugh!

Baggs Fri 09-Mar-18 16:46:50

I don't think loving animals has anything to do with wanting or not wanting to dissect them is what I was trying to say, mcem.

I'm now wondering whether I can truly say "I love animals". I don't think I can. I can't say I hate them either. I can say I'm interested in them because I'm interested in life forms animal, plant and fungal.

I like seeing little lambs in the fields. I like eating lamb meat. Does that count as loving lambs? Or is loving just not appropriate.

OldMeg Fri 09-Mar-18 16:34:09

mcem yes I can see that a fear of worms isn’t likely to impact on eating other, less earthy, meats ?

mcem Fri 09-Mar-18 16:29:50

Not vegetarian oldmeg because it wasn't an ethical issue for me.
Just can't bear the sight of worms and the physical reaction they provoke in me.
The only reason I introduced worms into the discussion was to explain that such a phobia does make me feel downright stupid but I can't control the effect they have on me. It isn't so disabling that I 'd consider therapy but it would be very different if it involved dogs!

OldMeg Fri 09-Mar-18 14:08:24

I’m guessing all these people are vegetarians now?

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Mar-18 14:06:25

You didn't go on to do medicine then?

DanniRae Fri 09-Mar-18 14:04:59

Oh, I am so glad that I studied Human Biology at school because there is no way that I could have cut up any animal - dead or alive!! shock

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Mar-18 14:04:47

Our neighbours have a lovely 'racing reject' who looks just like Hattie.
When they said they were getting a greyhound I expected her to be grey. Duh! She's very quiet, we never hear her at all.

OldMeg Fri 09-Mar-18 13:59:13

luzduh A Level Zoology 63/65 (mine was a 2-year course) JMB, no rabbits.

MawBroon Fri 09-Mar-18 13:56:12

Luzdoh I think we are experiencing an online version of this.
Greyhounds are very special dogs, Hattie is my fourth. Some people might remember Gracie whom I lost nearly a year ago at the grand old age of 14.
I was inconsolable but last July met this little (or so she seemed because of her hangdog expression) girl aged 18 months who had been a racing reject, showing little talent or inclination for the chase and was shipped over from Ireland with a batch of retired racers. I could not resist her and now she enjoys the life of Riley in exchange for which she snuggles up to me, shows me total love and affection and has given me a reason to get out of bed and face each day since Paw died.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Mar-18 13:43:19

Weren't worms for dissection in biology lessons were dead already? In which case loving them or otherwise would make no difference.
And the frogs, in their trays of formaldehyde.
It could be a bit offputting if the biology lab was your form room.

luzdoh Fri 09-Mar-18 13:36:28

MawBroon Just seen your photo. Gorgeous! I had a browny red greyhound about 20 years ago. She was rescued, not from retired racing, but from cruelty. She was very timid. My youngest was 8 when I got her and she fell in love with her. It was wonderful for her to have this gentle dog, as her father had died suddenly a few months earlier. Greyhounds are such wonderful pets.
Being disabled and unable to walk far, I have to have small dogs who can get all their fun from my, fortunately, large garden, now. I never thought I'd have small dogs, funnily enough, but I absolutely adore them! They have such character and are so funny!

luzdoh Fri 09-Mar-18 13:27:20

OldMeg Rabbit dissection - A level Biology 1966/7
Possibly rabbit bred by our Head of Dept. the famous long distance runner Martin Hyman, who gave us extra experience. A great character!

mcem Fri 09-Mar-18 12:58:19

Am well aware of all of that baggs but rationalising doesn't cure a phobia!
It's totally irrational and I'm the first to admit it!