Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gone off in a huff, part 2

(32 Posts)
minxie Sun 11-Mar-18 20:51:47

See part one to catch up if you don't know the story.

Well,I did it. I was quite nervous traveling to the Mil, and 5 mins before we arrived him indoors wants to ring and put Baza in the crate before we get there. I said no, I want to see if I can cope without that happening. I was over ruled as the dog can get excited when people arrive.
I was told when we got there that he hardly goes in his crate now and doesn't like it in there, but it wasn't said with intention but I felt bad anyway.
30 minutes later when bacon butties had been demolished. Baza came out of the crate flapping around, said hello and then trotted off to lie down.
He came back in the room later and flopped down by my legs and generally ignored me.
I felt very relaxed and happy to stay there for three hours.
I'm very chuffed with myself, and I have no fear of going back again, without him going into his crate at all.
I didn't give him a doggie treat in the end.
So moving onwards and upwards, I'm going to seek help to overcome my phobia once and for all.
Large dogs still freak me out as do dogs off the lead, in open spaces.
Thank you Ladies for all the support ( some exceptions) you gave me. It made me feel more comfortable about going, even though I was still very nervous.
Brownie points all round and some form of chocolatey treat, especially for me. Xxx

midgey Mon 12-Mar-18 17:57:54

Don’t think you need a chocolate treat.....a huge box or even better a great big choice cake..well done you!

Patsy70 Mon 12-Mar-18 18:05:13

This is great news, Minxie, what a star! I'm sure the family felt justly proud of you making the effort and overcoming your fear. Just take it one step at a time and good luck with the next stage. The company and loyalty of a dog can be so very rewarding.

Crafting Mon 12-Mar-18 19:22:46

Well done minxie. I bet your DH and family were delighted. You have made a big step all on your own. Don't be over optimistic and test yourself too far. Setbacks can upset things. Just take it easy and progress slowly. Wonderful achievement ?

ajanela Mon 12-Mar-18 19:52:58

That's incredible. Took me a few seconds to realise it was from you. What a change of thought process.

You deserve a medal and DH should provide the chocolate.

minxie Mon 12-Mar-18 21:17:20

Thank you everyone. It does feel good I have to say

Elrel Mon 12-Mar-18 22:22:06

Minxie - you must be, quite rightly, very proud of yourself! ?