Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Was I so wrong?

(27 Posts)
Willitwork Thu 29-Mar-18 21:11:55

Willitwork

Today I visit my daughter to be told that 18month grandson has spilt hot gravy on himself!
How did it happen? SIL left gravy on worktop edge, and he reached up and got it.
I say you need to be more careful, you shouldn't leave hot stuff where young children should reach it..
SIL tells me it was an accident, he's been at work all day! He can't do everything.
I say, that's no excuse and repeat what I said about hot things around young children.
He stomps off upstairs..my daughter tells me I was harsh and I've upset him! (Really, that's all I said)
I was taken aback. I said I will stand up for my grandson, and SIL needs to take responsibility, accident or not. Daughter repeated it was an accident!
Daughter and I had planned to go out that evening.
I just said, we'll leave it there, I'll go. She agreed.
She had already said she thought she shouldn't go out now.

I was so annoyed at their response to me, was I that wrong?

Nannarose Fri 30-Mar-18 10:24:02

Thank you Willitwork. After many years of working with families, I assure you that sensible & reasonable parents learn from their mistakes. Tell your SiL you know that, just reacted in the 'heat' of the moment - as we all do.

One of my idiocies led to a trip to A&E. My Health Visitor rang up and said 'Rose, you must feel awful'. How I blessed her for recognising my distress (as, mercifully, child had totally recovered!)

I am also assuming that your DGC was not really harmed, otherwise your post would have been very different!