Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Musty chest of drawers

(30 Posts)
JoyBloggs Sun 15-Apr-18 09:25:03

I have a chest of drawers which must be about a hundred years old. It looks attractive, darkish wood in fairly good condition. However, it was stored for years in a damp, mouldy building and it smells a bit musty. I want to use the chest to store clothes but would like to give the drawers a good clean and hopefully get them smelling fresh. It's now completely dry and I'm keen to start using it. I have googled and looked at various treatments and am thinking of trying white vinegar, or maybe tea tree oil, but not sure I want my drawers (wooden) or my drawers (cotton) to smell of vinegar... Has anybody dealt with this problem? All suggestions much appreciated.

Devorgilla Sun 15-Apr-18 21:10:47

I had the same problem - a chest of drawers I brought from my mother's house that I had from childhood. I emptied all the drawers out and put in each one a small container with bicarbonate of soda and left it closed for at least a month. Worked like a charm. Now in full use and linen chest with no hint of a musty smell.

JoyBloggs Wed 18-Apr-18 20:09:53

Thank you, Devorgilla, sounds cheap, safe and effective which suits me! I'm spoilt for choice, just need time to play now...

NealPhillips Tue 27-Aug-19 14:30:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NealPhillips Tue 27-Aug-19 14:34:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.