Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Over-worrying has virtually marooned me at home

(46 Posts)
Gma29 Sun 06-May-18 08:40:47

I’m finding it more and more difficult to participate in anything much. I worry about the stupidest things, like refusing a theatre trip because I’d have to drive, & might not be able to find the way or park when I arrive. Even the simplest shopping trip gets me wound up, and I always have to rush back, because I can never quite convince myself I’ve locked the door. My OH is out most of the time, so I am on my own nearly all the time. I end up just reading or watching tv most days & evenings to pass the time. I know I need to get out and join things to have any sort of social interaction, but this worrying is making it very difficult. I’ve always been shy, and found it difficult to join in, but not like this. I know it’s silly to behave like this, but any tips on overcoming it would be appreciated.

sodapop Sun 06-May-18 12:46:19

I agree with Luckygirl there are other treatments available for this type of anxiety not just medication.
The idea of setting small targets is a good one, try a little at a time but enjoy your time at home as well. Nothing wrong with staying in to read a book or watch TV sometimes so don't feel guilty about it. Good luck.

Grannyknot Sun 06-May-18 13:02:35

gma29 I understand why you do this (I do it a bit myself sometimes) but the way I counter it is by plotting the route in advance/going over the route in my head, phoning ahead and asking whether parking is available, taking an Uber ... there are ways and means. I mean what's the worst that can happen?

Doodle Sun 06-May-18 13:24:18

I don't think you are alone in this gma29 as I find it very difficult to go places by myself. Afraid I'll get lost, can't park all sorts. Also very OCD with locking up, turning things off etc. I think the idea of a checklist to reassure you is a good idea. I have suffered from claustrophobia for over 50 years. About 15 years ago I tried CBT to help me overcome it. I was hoping for a magic cure! There isn't one. You have to try and overcome this fear yourself (I do not mean that CBT doesn't help just in my case it wasn't the answer but it did set me on the right road) Small steps. Take a bus, train etc. Drive somewhere local that you know you can park and go for a short walk (garden centre was a good idea). The good news is that after 50 years of avoiding lifts and trains I started with very small steps to get my life back and with each step my confidence grew. Not overnight but little by little. These small steps do count. I can now go in lifts on my own (I would never have believed it possible) and 2 years ago I went on an underground train and coped well. Little steps can build your confidence. Please try for your own happiness to do this. I wish you and all those whose lives are restricted by fear or phobia that you find a way to cope.

Caledonai14 Sun 06-May-18 13:31:10

Hi Gma,
You are in company here on the driving/parking front. There are more and more places I won't drive to unless I've got a fair idea I can get parked and it won't cost a fortune. I even do recces on the bus sometimes in advance. To me, that is just being sensible, along with leaving extra time for a journey just in case. Lots of good advice on here and I particularly like the idea of recording a message saying I have locked the door. Don't start me on forgetting to take the phone! So that's a double fix, thanks.

silverdarlings Sun 06-May-18 14:11:31

Hello there Gma--I understand --I'm reducing steroids and

increasing azathioprine to find the best level for me--

Flipping heck I feel that Ive gone to pot with the side

effects so I write down what I NEED to do each day (note

by the kettle) Also decided to learn to cherish myself +

NanKate Sun 06-May-18 15:01:10

I am very nearly off steroids Silverdarlings so only know too well after 2 years the side effects. I was totally hyper or sobbing when I first went on them. They can be helpful so they are not all bad.

What helps me Gma29 when I am visiting somewhere knew is to download from AA Route planner from home to my new destination. I also go on Google instant street view and type in the postcode so that I get a visual impression of my destination AND I use my sat nav. Sorted !

Madgran77 Sun 06-May-18 17:23:24

I am also finding myself getting increasingly anxious about everything as I get older. I make myself do things regardless as far as possible, but get irritated with myself for being so anxious!

AnnS1 Sun 06-May-18 17:29:16

If I didn’t have the dogs to walk I’d be the same. Google earth street view is very useful if going somewhere new. Easy to get in a rut and avoid things, this long winter hasn’t helped.

BlueBelle Sun 06-May-18 17:37:51

Gosh luckygirl that’s made me feel really bad calling me irresponsible I know people waiting a year to get talking therapies help on the NHS I was trying to help the poster from today that’s all

Jane10 Sun 06-May-18 18:43:49

I'm sure you did BlueBelle. You gave really practical suggestions.

Lazigirl Sun 06-May-18 19:30:45

There's some really good advice on here Gma29. I do feel for you as it's very easy to get into a state of anxiety, not wanting to go out, and losing confidence can creep up on you gradually when you are retired. It is possible to access therapy such as CBT on the Internet, which may help. Have you got a friend who you can talk to and who will accompany you initially on trips when you are anxious?

paddyann Sun 06-May-18 20:25:33

Could it be menopause related ? I'm still having symptoms of a very late menopause so I do suffer anxiety and what my GP calls borderline agrophobia .I get very nervous in the ar no matter who is driving .Hoping it goes away when my menpause is over .

Gma29 Sun 06-May-18 20:57:49

With hindsight, @Paddyann, this was probably when things first began to get difficult, after I had to stop my HRT. I do remember getting very flustered one day driving into town, so I just came straight back home, It’s all continued on, getting worse from there really, and looking back, I should have tried to deal with it earlier. There have been some lovely ideas for little steps, which I am going to try, (with a checklist for my doors!). Thanks for taking the time.

annep Fri 08-Jun-18 23:53:56

Some good advice here re one day at a time, little steps, checklists. I too prefer no medication but that doesnt mean pills arent ok for someone else. Meditation is great too. very helpful.

Katek Sat 09-Jun-18 00:17:22

Do any of you with fears of getting lost when driving
- especially in unfamiliar places - use a satnav? Great device that gives a degree of security.

Just a thought.

jenpax Sat 09-Jun-18 01:44:37

Some good ideas here and if you are retired why not go into town on the bus? Saves worries about parking often difficult in most towns, buses are usually cheaper than paying for parking and are regular! If you are OAP you will qualify for a bus pass too

annep Sat 09-Jun-18 05:21:45

If you can afford it I think it would be a good idea to find a good counsellor. I have used one in the past as have friends. even one or two sessions can be really helpful to talk about the problem. Its money well spent. Being shy can be a great handicap. I am painfully shy and lacking in confidence. I have found going to classes a good starting point. There is a ready made topic of conversation and I don't have to contribute more than I want to. But really I feel talking to a counsellor might be a good first step.

Nana3 Sat 09-Jun-18 08:00:25

I get anxious if I drive into a big city centre where everyone else seems to know where they are going and which lane to be in. Drivers seem very impatient and there is a lot of speeding and horn sounding. Where to park is a worry as is finding your way at unfamiliar, complicated junctions. Also finding the way out of the city can be confusing I agree, I think you would all laugh if I told you a couple of the places I've ended up by taking a wrong turning. I take my turn at driving when going out with friends but generally stick to places I know if I'm alone or use my bus pass or rail card. I try to stay relaxed behind the wheel, stick to speed limits and politely give way if necessary, I wish every driver would.
Best wishes Gma29.

travelsafar Sat 09-Jun-18 08:08:52

Wow i am so glad i am not alone with the driving issues.I only drive to the places i am confident of driving too. I know that limits me and it does annoy me but rather than cause an accident by doing something wrong i wont risk it. If i am going to a familiar place i can just concentrate on my driving and not worry that have missed a turning or am in the wrong lane. I use my bus pass or go by train if necessary,it makes sense to me to be safe rather than sorry.

M0nica Sat 09-Jun-18 09:33:25

I find getting lost quite liberating. I have seen so many quiet backwaters in towns and lovely countryside , it makes it all worth while.

The main thing to do to reduce travel anxiety is allow yourself plenty of time to get lost, make mistakes, have difficulty finding a parking spot. If you arrive at your destination an hour early , so what? You can go and have a quiet coffee or wander around the area finding odd backwaters and interesting buildings.