Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spiders!

(36 Posts)
Fennel Wed 09-May-18 19:19:13

Leave them alone! I love spiders.
They get rid of the real nasties such as flies bluebottles and worst of all, mosquitoes.
We leave them to live in their webs.

petra Wed 09-May-18 18:56:49

I only get worried when I can see the whites of their eyes grin
The GC love to see me get hold of those fat brown ones from their web.

Franbern Tue 08-May-18 10:47:10

I am border-line phobic. Was far worse when I was younger. Actually called hubbie home from work one time, when I had a young baby and there was a spider in the kitchen!! If one came anywhere near to me, I would need to have a bath or shower, and change all the clothes I was wearing at the time.
I was determined not to pass this fear on to my children and still say the greatest piece of parenting I carried out is that none of my children (or g.children) are in the slightest phased at seeing spider.
Living by myself I have to cope. Have those long handled things which in which I can trap them and remove to the outside (really do not want to kill them).
Three years ago I heard about conkers, and collect them each autumn and they are all around window cills, door ways, skirting boards, etc. Have not had a spider since then

Newquay Mon 07-May-18 20:21:36

That's just how I feel fumancho. They have absolutely no business being where I live I feel!
Tomorrow DH and I are going to clear out a shed. Now I KNOW there's a mammoth spider in there cos it all but waves at me when I get the mower out. It's been there a long time so have asked DH to get it out and set it free (in neighbour's garden)-how generous is that? Shudder just thinking about it☹️

fumanchu Mon 07-May-18 18:10:39

Me too. There isn't a house big enough for me and a pider. One of us has to die...

callgirl1 Mon 07-May-18 15:25:42

I`m another with the screaming ab-dabs!

ninathenana Mon 07-May-18 14:51:53

I don't like them and have to dispose of them outside using the cup and paper method. When I was still living at hone I would call dad who would scoop them up with his bare hand shock No point in calling H to do that ! DD has the screaming ab-dabs if she sees one.

Iam64 Mon 07-May-18 11:47:46

Maggiemaybe, I'm with you. I showed my 3 year old grandson how to encourage a daddy long legs into a glass bowl, slide some paper underneath and go into the garden so the spider could live outside happily. He's a bit insect phobic at the moment but enjoyed this experience.
As for big spiders, I find ignoring them works, they scuttle off being rather more scared of me, than I am of them. If I lived somewhere with killer spiders, I'd no doubt behave differently.

Maggiemaybe Mon 07-May-18 11:29:53

Oh dear. I spend so much time telling my DGS that spiders are our friends and we must never hurt them. We must just carry them gently outside to be with their friends. I just hope I’m never called on to do it. smile

Sparklefizz Mon 07-May-18 11:14:26

I am phobic and was very stressed when I had 5 gigantic spiders in one week last autumn. A friend recommended conkers and brought me a bagful which I placed in as many corners as possible - not a spider since. Did you use dozens of conkers in as many corners? Better to go for over-kill (excuse the pun). I know the anti-spider sprays sold tend to contain horse chestnut so I think conkers must work.

Oldwoman70 Mon 07-May-18 10:27:57

I hate spiders! I have tried all the tricks to keep them out of the house, conkers, sprays - even plug in deterrents, nothing works. Now what is puzzling is that I rarely see an actual spider but every morning I get up to find new spider webs. I can only assume they come out at night to party and then sleep all day!!

Do any GNs have any sure fire way of getting rid of them