Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where do you keep your reading glasses?

(73 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 10-May-18 09:17:46

I hang mine on a string around my neck when they're not on my nose, but tuck that inside whatever I'm wearing to stop them dangling in the soup.
This look is not exactly attractive. I have tried wearing them on my head but they do tend to fall off.
I'd love to hear other people's solutions.

Oldwoman70 Thu 10-May-18 09:37:53

I have three pairs, a pair by the side of my bed, one pair in my handbag (so I can read labels when I am shopping!) and a pair by the side of my chair.

Alima Thu 10-May-18 09:39:03

I keep a pair in each room and in my bag. Must remember to get another pair for the garden shed! Don’t fancy the dangly ones and never mastered keeping a pair on my head.

baubles Thu 10-May-18 09:45:37

On top of my head a lot of the time even although I know it isn’t good for the frames. I leave specs all around the house and car. They’re all varifocals so I could just wear them however having never needed to have my vision corrected until 10-15 years ago I’m not a natural spec wearer and really struggle with it. Men of my father’s generation all seemed to wear shirts with a breast pocket and so just stuck their specs in there. Perhaps that’s the answer, get out the sewing kit & attach pockets to every garment. grin

hildajenniJ Thu 10-May-18 09:46:06

Before having to resort to varifocals my reading glasses were on a string round my neck. Like you, I tucked them away in my top when I had to do anything physical. It got to the point where they were on and off so much that I had to get bi-focals and from there I graduated to varifocals.

Fennel Thu 10-May-18 09:46:41

I use really cheap ones, 250 mag.
Recently bought online a packet of 10 pairs, for £12.
So a pair in each room.

Bathsheba Thu 10-May-18 09:46:55

I wear varifocals so they're on my face from morning till night. But I do have a pair of reading glasses which I keep by my iMac, because varifocals are a darn nuisance with a computer monitor - I have to tip my head up to look through the bottom part of the lens!

Bathsheba Thu 10-May-18 09:49:01

Gosh have you got 10 rooms Fennel? shock. Sounds like you be dead posh!

Fennel Thu 10-May-18 09:52:24

grin No!
There are still 7 pairs in the packet.

NanaandGrampy Thu 10-May-18 09:53:35

Def on top of my head !

Panache Thu 10-May-18 09:57:41

When they are not missing!!!!!........ I have a pair by my bedside,another that gets "transported" to wherever I need them, plus I have an older pair in our kitchen...........

Nevertheless hardly a day goes by when I have to go searching..............am blind as a bat without....and not all that "seeing" when wearing them!!

Which reminds me,an eye test is on my to do list of appointments.

ninathenana Thu 10-May-18 10:03:36

Usually on the table next to me, sonetimes on my head, though I try not to as I know it stretches them. I have tried them on a fancy chain round my neck but they kept slipping out of the loops that go over the arms despite tightening them as much as possible.
Any ideas how to stop that ?

Teetime Thu 10-May-18 10:09:16

Mine are all varifocals now
1 by the bed
1 one my desk
1 in the car
1 prescription sunglasses in my handbag
1 by my chair in the living room

Not all quite the same prescription as some are from previous years but as the change is slight I have kept them all.

Bathsheba Thu 10-May-18 10:13:59

Fennel grin

silverlining48 Thu 10-May-18 10:25:54

I have them in every room, plus car, handbag and over at my daughters so how is it that when I need a pair I open the cases and find all are empty. Further searches reveal them gathered all in the same place presumably catching up on the latest gossip and scandal.

winterwhite Thu 10-May-18 10:39:08

I have one very short-sighted eye and my problem is taking off my everyday glasses to read some small print or do something intricate. I put my glasses down wherever I happen to be and can lose them for hours at a time. Wish someone would invent some kind of electronic device that can be put on the frames for people like me so they can be called for. I always travel with spares in my hand luggage since I fell over and smashed my glasses when on my own at Vienna airport and spares were in checked luggage grin tho no laughing matter at the time.

LouLou21 Thu 10-May-18 10:42:42

I have worn Clic glasses for years I put them on in the morning and take them off when I go to bed at night some opticians stock them or they can be ordered on line. Be careful not to buy cheap copies they are useless, but the original Clics are fantastic you will never lose them.

Minerva Thu 10-May-18 10:54:00

My first bifocal glasses I put out of reach one day when three small grandchildren were staying for a month - and have never seen them again. That was in 2014 and yes I do clean my house regularly ?

Cagsy Thu 10-May-18 10:57:04

I have varifocals so put them on when I get up take them off when I go to bed, never have the 'wrong' glasses on or worry where they are, oh and they're reactive so they're my sun glasses too - best thing ever

glammanana Thu 10-May-18 11:02:58

I have just spent two days looking for mine confused we only have a one bedroom/lounge kitchen bungalow so it should have been an easy find but no I couldn't find them anywhere,I was expecting to have to order a new pair at great expense.
DD suggested that I look in all my handbags which I change a couple of times a week and low and behold I find said spec's in a bag left over my manikin lady in my bedroom.

lizzypopbottle Thu 10-May-18 11:10:34

If someone can tell me where I've left mine, ill tell you where they are ?

lizzypopbottle Thu 10-May-18 11:11:31

Grrr... I'll not ill...

Sar53 Thu 10-May-18 11:12:16

I wear contact lenses as I'm very short sighted but have to wear reading glasses over the top. I have one pair in my bag and one pair by my chair. When I'm not wearing my lenses I wear varifocals, I have two pairs of these and they are always on my face as I cannot see without them.

henbane Thu 10-May-18 11:31:11

I have a little magnifying glass on a chain to wear round my neck when I go shopping. Much easier than taking your backpack off or rummaging in a handbag for reading glasses when you want to check calorie content or ingredients, and because it hangs flat like a necklace it doesn't get in the way as glasses on a chain do.

glammanana Thu 10-May-18 11:35:58

hanban great idea I am going to buy one will save me routing about my bag to change glasses when shopping.At least when looking for mine all the drawers got a tidy up and unwanted items thrown out.