Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where do you keep your reading glasses?

(74 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 10-May-18 09:17:46

I hang mine on a string around my neck when they're not on my nose, but tuck that inside whatever I'm wearing to stop them dangling in the soup.
This look is not exactly attractive. I have tried wearing them on my head but they do tend to fall off.
I'd love to hear other people's solutions.

Bamm Thu 10-May-18 16:27:00

Sometimes Lidl have little fold up reading glasses in a half size case. Under £3 I think.

Grammaretto Thu 10-May-18 17:11:34

I have enjoyed reading all your solutions. Now I realise there is a gap in the market . Someone should design or invent a device for holding glasses which you can keep near or on you for those of us who can't wear them all the time.
I like the lòok of CLICS LouLou so will be checking them out.
I keep spares but haven't yet tried bifocals or varifocal because a) the cost and b) I regularly sit on mine or otherwise damage them so it would be sad to have to be ultra-careful all the time.
I know a few 2nd hand book shops, libraries and archives who keep a few spares for emergencies .
The other thing I need invented is a waterproof magnifier for reading shampoo labels in the bath......

TwiceAsNice Thu 10-May-18 17:43:22

They are either on the table near where I sit or in my bag being transported about. I have a pair for driving and television and a pair for reading and close work. I also have a spare pair at my daughters house. I sometimes wear them on the top of my head but they are usually on a table somewhere if I'm not using them

callgirl1 Thu 10-May-18 17:45:20

Mine are on the settee next to me, as are my computer specs when I`m not on here. The spare pair of reading glasses are kept in a drawer, they`re usually only out when I go away, I take them because they`re in a fancier case!

Grandmama Thu 10-May-18 18:19:46

A pair in the front room where I sit in the evenings. The previous pair in the kitchen for reading recipes. Either of these pairs comes with me when I go out. Another pair by the telephone and a fourth pair (going back a bit now so not quite so strong) in the bedroom. There's also a pair at church that someone left and never claimed. Brilliant reading glasses so I've used those a few times at church.

GrandmaMoira Thu 10-May-18 18:58:47

My current prescription ones are downstairs in the lounge, the older ones are in my handbag and by the bed. I also have a non prescription pair of reading glasses for the kitchen or dining room. I got distance glasses recently but don't wear them much.

Menopaws Thu 10-May-18 19:18:17

My husband and I share same prescription so cheap glasses all over the place, I tend to wear mine on my head and someone gave me a cord to hang them on which is useful but makes me feel old but we still lose them all and find them in pockets, coats etc

M0nica Thu 10-May-18 19:24:40

When you get cataracts, ask the surgeon to ensure that the prescription for the new lens in your eye leaves you not needing glasses for reading, only for distance. You then keep your driving glasses in your handbag, except when in the car, and another pair in the living room near the tv.

That works until DS and family arrive, we all go out for the day. I forget to take my glasses off getting out of the car and put them in my handbag then later take them off to look closely at something on a shop counter, put them down and forget to pick them up again (at least, I think that is how I lost them).

However that is just once in over 10 years since my cataract op.

Ulli58 Thu 10-May-18 21:52:13

I have a pair in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, study, studio and handbag. Those in the living and bedrooms are the latest versions, others are from previous years or glasses for vdu (in study). Works well although sometimes i forget to remove a pair from my head when finished and they end up in a different room hmm.

pollyperkins Fri 11-May-18 08:51:44

Im amazed at all these pairs some of you have. I'd just lose them all I think. Over the counter ones dont work for me as I have prisms in mine . They are not just magnifiers, though a magnifying glass does help too. I always need a large handbag for two glasses cases as well as a fairly large purse, keys etc. No tiny clutch bag for me!

Fennel Fri 11-May-18 11:26:14

The cheap reading glasses don't last long - either a lens falls out or an ear hook comes off.

MissAdventure Fri 11-May-18 11:41:35

I have lots of cheap glasses all around the house.
I also have a wooden 'nose' ornament which is made for glasses. He's wearing a couple of pairs.

annep Thu 07-Jun-18 09:03:09

henbane super idea! where can I buy?

annep Thu 07-Jun-18 09:05:44

I'm going to show my husband this. He thinks its only me who loses/mistreats specs. Of course he'll say that's women for you. ?

annep Thu 07-Jun-18 09:15:37

Grammaretto that is so true about the shower. I have enjoyed reading all these posts so funny. My optician says I cant use readymade as both eyes are not the same prescription unfortunately. shame- they seem so cheap. PollyperkinsI found a case slightly bigger that holds both pairs folded neatly.

pollyperkins Thu 07-Jun-18 09:25:54

Wow,sound good! How do I find them?

Panache Thu 07-Jun-18 11:00:17

I have to answer.............never where I need them..........hence always this frantic search!!!

mcem Thu 07-Jun-18 12:08:11

My optician tells me that over-the-counter reading specs are fine for me.
They're inexpensive and so I have around 20 pairs of all colours and styles - at least one pair per room.
I frequently lose them and just pick up the nearest pair.
I wear them on my head and can match most outfits!
Thank goodness for clear lens exchange after 50+ years of short-sight!

mcem Thu 07-Jun-18 12:38:16

Ps funky ones available all over - including primark and tiger.
When I wore expensive varifocals they tended to be neutral 'go with anything' styles.
This is much more fun!!

hildajenniJ Thu 07-Jun-18 12:46:56

Mine are on my nose all the time. I wear varifocals. ??

janeainsworth Thu 07-Jun-18 12:49:48

So are mine hilda but thy're bi-focals.

annep Thu 07-Jun-18 19:05:25

PP erm theyre not special. just a bit deeper. just a matter of looking round and trying them.

PamelaJ1 Thu 07-Jun-18 19:19:13

So do I Hilda and Jane, life is too short to spend it looking for ?. I do have a few pairs though and I have been informed by a very reliable source that one pair is hanging on the container that holds shampoo etc. In the shower.