Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help! Nasty washing machine smells.

(63 Posts)
Katek Mon 14-May-18 11:43:42

Every time I pass the utility room door all I can smell is a sour, dampish sort of aroma from the washing machine. I’ve run it through on 60c with bleach, cleaned all the drawers and door seal and even tried a washing machine cleaner. I actually think that’s made it worse. Fortunately there’s no smell transferring to the laundry but need to get this sorted out. Any handy hints or tips are very welcome!

Nannymarg53 Wed 16-May-18 10:55:02

Further to the fabric conditioner thread - I’ve just found a forum discussion about fc and most people don’t use it as it clogs up your washing machine! We have soft water here. I don’t wash my underwear with Comfort because I’m allergic to it (horrid private part irritation ?) so I think I’ll try not using it for the rest of my washing and see what happens ? I also read some people put white vinegar in the Conditioner drawer instead?? Might try that too ?

mancgirl Wed 16-May-18 11:55:29

humpty dumpty my mother never used anything but Persil, I should know better!

Katek Wed 16-May-18 12:55:04

Cautiously optimistic-bleach and 60c seem to have worked. I’ll wait until bleach smell evaporates before making a final judgment.

Never had this problem with my trusty twin tub in the 70’s!

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 13:25:16

Sainsbury bio powder in the washes (4 washes now) have completely cured the pongy problem, so am switching to that all the time now, good results even at a 40 wash, and much cheaper than the gels.

GabriellaG Wed 16-May-18 22:59:42

Keep the door of the machine open when not in use. Remember to dry after every use with a cloth between the 'lips' of the inner seal where water collects. I have a very small utility room, little more than a broom cupboard really and my machine is well over 10 years old but no smells ever.
I suggest you have someone come to disconnect and pull the machine away from the wall. You may have a small leak which has caused mould behind it.

Madsad Thu 17-May-18 13:57:22

For some reason have this problem with my dryer. I only ever put nearly dry clothes in it so nothing at all wet. I leave the door open and clean lint out but it often seems to have a bad damp smell which transfers itself to my clothes.

Stansgran Fri 18-May-18 13:58:11

I've never used gel as the maintenance chap said they were his bread and butter. Ive used fairy tablets since the DGC were staying with me . Sadly they've stopped them so I'm moving to Persia tablets as I can't stand powder spills. I've never had a smell problem in the machine but always leave the door open. Never ever cleaned it out either and only cleaned the filter out once and the powder drawer twiceblush

cc Fri 18-May-18 18:25:36

MadSad my dryer sometimes smells musty too, I found that the tank that holds the condensed water was getting green round the edges. A quick rinse through with disinfectant sorted it out.

bikergran Mon 21-May-18 21:19:54

Katec shame on you.....your not still using Dhs old underpants as dusters are you!

I used to clean for elderly lady, she always used to give me her dhs old Y-Fronts to use as dusters and cleaning cloths! (there were always spotless lol)! blush

My smelly machine seems to be dissapearing! smile I think I will use the rest of the disinfectant then maybe try bit of bleach after a couple more washers see how it goes.

I have been leaving the machine door open which is a pain as I keep cracking my knees on it (swear words) when I'm making a cuppa. hmm

Katek Mon 21-May-18 22:02:59

Perish the thought bikergran!! Most of our furniture can only be waxed/oiled so I tend to just flit round with a feather duster in between! Think I may have a duster and an ancient tin of Pledge under the sink somewhere

Nannymarg53 Mon 21-May-18 22:08:02

Stopped using fabric conditioner and hey presto - no more dirty lines on the clean washing and no more musty smell and no more gunge in the machine drawer! Anyone want to buy 2 large bottles of Comfort going cheap??

annep Tue 05-Jun-18 21:49:42

90 degree wash with machine cleaner. also when wash is finished leave door and dispenser drawer open to dry.