Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why did I ever hesitate?

(47 Posts)
Applegran Fri 15-Jun-18 18:25:09

This morning I had my first pair of hearing aids fitted - and already I love them! A little while ago I asked other Gransnetters for advice about getting hearing aids and got lots of encouragement - for which I was and am very grateful. Now I've got the aids I am hearing people so much more clearly - and realise for the first time how much I was missing. I also hear things like my keyboard as I type, which I used not to hear, but it isn't a problem. It's amazing that you can get these excellent hearing aids on the NHS. If you are hesitating to have a hearing test, but think you might need hearing aids, I can now join those who encouraged me and say - go for it!

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Jun-18 12:49:48

Keep asking! Persistence pays.

I was lucky in that I have tinnitus which masks my hearing generally. I’ve lost the top upper range - apparently normal in old age (!) - so everything seemed muffled. Now I can hear all the tiny birds like goldcrests and tits which had vanished to me.

I don’t wear mine if I’m going swimming, to the hair dressers or out in winter with a scarf on as I lost one when it caught on a thick scarf. I moaned about this to someone who had bought her slightly smaller aids at great cost thinking it was down to the size, but apparently not, she too had lost one due to scarf interference.

Theoddbird Sun 17-Jun-18 13:02:59

I would not be without mine. I was having problems at meetings at work with lots of people talking so had hearing checked. First thing I noticed just after they were fitted...lunch in a restaurant and I could hear conversations across the room...I felt awful about that...hahaha Then it was music and bird song. Had mine 3 1/2 years now....so glad I have them.

pheasant75 Sun 17-Jun-18 13:09:07

Hi see my remarks pheasant75 they can do a test on line if your on the internet OK get some one to help if not they are very helpful

dihut Sun 17-Jun-18 16:18:12

I have been completely deaf in my left ear since having measles at 18mths old. Now my other one is gradually getting worse, we call it Limpopo mode cos I asked my DH what was wrong with the car on the TV and it turned out to be in LIMP HOME MODE oh dear!

gillyknits Sun 17-Jun-18 16:41:12

I went to a high street store and had a hearing test last year . They said I needed aids in both ears. I declined because I honesty don’t think my ears are really bad enough, yet. I can hear conversations in company and don’t need the tv up loud. My husband agrees and says the only loss he has noticed is when the microwave, washer or oven timer go off and I’m in a different room. These are all high pitched noises.
I spoke to my own doctor and he said that if I began to notice a deterioration then he would book me an NHS test.
I wondered if the store was trying to persuade me to have aids long before I needed them, to make their profits look good.

Carolpaint Sun 17-Jun-18 19:48:18

I love my hearing now I have a hearing aid. As soon as I rise I put it in, I think the more you wear it the more able your brain becomes at sound. It is a NHS one. If you turn up the television does it not distort the sound? I did jump in snorkelling in the Red Sea, that put it out of commission for about two weeks but after putting in the airing cupboard and a new battery, there it was functioning again. Please persevere, it is such a joy to be in with the conversations. But you do have to put them in straight away, and all day, if your ear does get a little itchy a smear of Savlon cream inside seems to fix that. Those whose GPs are making them wait, go back, the Practice Nurse does the initial test before the recommendation to the hospital audiology department, she does quite an ndepth set of tests. My partner is a Physicist, if he does not wear his hearing aids, people get the impression he is stupid. If your brain does not hear sounds, when your hearing is improved by aids, unfortunately those sounds will not be recognised again, ouch.

Grandmama Sun 17-Jun-18 21:29:42

I wear my NHS hearing aids all the time but there are still some people that I cannot hear, maybe because of the wavelength of their voices. A friend has a gadget that is helpful when one is in a group of people, it works on the Loop setting because sometimes in a group I cannot hear. How I wish DH would persevere with his. He gets so cross when I shout at him because he hasn't heard the first and second time I've said something so I have no choice but to shout.

stevej4491 Sun 17-Jun-18 21:40:55

Dont pay for hearing aids,you're being ripped off.Nhs are free as are the batteries.I know the batteries are supposed to last a fortnight but they don't. Even the lady at the hospital said they don't last very long,but at least they are free.

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Jun-18 22:08:16

My batteries last 7-9 days. But that’s ok as I was given a year’s worth!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 18-Jun-18 09:19:27

I agree Applegran, I love my hearing aids too. Doesn't it make a fabulous difference being able to hear things clearly? I've just found out that I could apply for a 'disabled' rail card at a discount but I have to say that I don't enjoy train travel much these days but it's nice to know it's available. Three cheers for the NHS.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jun-18 09:55:24

I have no trouble at all with mine (NHS) - and I too wear glasses. They are so unobtrusive and also I am totally unaware that I have them in. Can't feel them.

I can't understand what all the fuss is about!!! smile Not why people pay when they are free, and the batteries!

Really it is a mere nothing; and a joy to hear the birds.

No modern hearing aid should whistle - if they do, they are faulty and need to go back to the shop.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jun-18 09:57:05

Nor

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jun-18 09:57:39

And the loud crackling of paper, cutlery etc vanishes after about 24 hours.

Brunette10 Mon 18-Jun-18 10:09:07

I know I am needing a hearing aid/s and did in fact receive one which I wore for a very short time only because when I walked over our wooden floors the noise of each step vibrated in my ears. I got fed up not realising probably the aid was not set properly. I need to go and get another hearing test. What is the difference between NHS aids and the other ones that you can buy say from Boots at what seems to be quite a cost? So glad however you are happy with yours.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jun-18 10:59:33

The aids are basically the same. There might be some high end refinements on some private ones, but certainly not worth the outlay.

Rosina Mon 18-Jun-18 11:52:34

Struggled with mine at first, and didn't bother much, but then my hearing deteriorated a little more, and I decided to grit my teeth and persevere. Before long I wasn't even aware of them, and they are such a help. How lucky we are to get them absolutely free; when you consider that we have to pay for optical and dental services (or at least make a hefty contribution) It's a real bonus to have both aids and batteries free.this can't/ won't last for ever I'm sure but I am grateful for them.

Rosina Mon 18-Jun-18 11:55:34

Brunette10 I've just seen your post; please persevere because it takes a while for your ears and brain to adjust to new sounds and then everything settles down to normal pitch. . I was told that if you are losing hearing and therefore don't hear certain pitches of sound, if you don't wear aids the brain 'forgets' these sounds and you won't ever hear them again.

Brunette10 Mon 18-Jun-18 12:51:41

I wish I had Rosin, I really do. I now have to make an appointment which will probably take a while but it is my aim to do so, everyone is fed up of me not hearing!!!

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jun-18 14:01:06

Appointment need not take long. Specsavers is the agent for NHS round here and GP referred by phone the day I saw her and I had the appointment a few days later. Went in, had test, left with the aids in and they have been in every since. All less than a week.

bikergran Mon 18-Jun-18 19:06:15

Applegran thanks for that..have got app a week tomorrow so we will see...

I was bit reluctant to go one of the other places for hearing test(Im due to have new glasses and I know specsavers will ask me once again) smile about a hearing test..so will wait and see what the outcome is from the nurse.

agnurse Tue 19-Jun-18 20:26:55

Good news! Sadly, hearing deficits are responsible for a great deal of social isolation among older people.

I am not surprised you didn't know what you were missing. When I was 8 years old, I got glasses. (Typical story - couldn't see the blackboard.) I was AMAZED at how much I could see that I hadn't realized I was missing.