Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Son moving on

(37 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Tue 26-Jun-18 10:35:40

Give them a token for return tickets so they can visit you!

GabriellaG Tue 26-Jun-18 10:27:10

Germany isn't 'far away'.

Witzend Tue 26-Jun-18 08:41:14

Is it a permanent move, or for x years for work?

Dh and I lived abroad for 13 years, including when dds were small. Ironically enough, though, both my parents and the in laws probably saw more of us all in total through the year, than they did of other dcs/gdcs who were scattered about the UK, since we stayed with them on annual leave, and both sets of parents came and stayed with us for at least a couple of weeks at a time.

As for gifts, I would ask. Maybe they won't know what they might want just yet.

Florabunda60 Tue 26-Jun-18 07:15:27

No gift necessary.

Do you have a partner? I ask because you are likely to need support at times. (My daughter moved abroad.) Take care and ask for help when needed.

OldMeg Mon 25-Jun-18 21:21:18

Just slip him a few € inside a card and tell him and his partner to buy a nice bottle of their preferred tipple on their first night to enjoy in their new home.

annep Mon 25-Jun-18 20:36:40

If they are renting, something small like a coffee machine? When they are settled in their own home maybe ask what they would like, depending on your finances of course. You will get used to him being away. I know from experience. It will unfortunately never be the same as living close but not too far for visits. Keep in touch.

OurKid1 Mon 25-Jun-18 14:17:45

You give them wings so they can fly.

Izabella Mon 25-Jun-18 14:16:23

Lovely post wildswan

Lyndiloo Mon 25-Jun-18 14:12:47

It's very hard when children move far away. My advice would be - make sure you keep in touch. (Especially if grandchildren eventually arrive!) Text, email - and don't forget the bonus of Skype (and it's free!)

His gift will be your blessing!

wildswan16 Mon 25-Jun-18 10:33:15

You've already given him the greatest gift you could - he's moving on into adulthood, he's working, he has a partner, he's exploring the world. You did a great job !

There will be mixed feelings, sadness and happiness. Hope you get a chance to visit them soon.

Oopsadaisy53 Mon 25-Jun-18 09:53:54

Might be best to wait until they are settled and then ask if they need anything?

He’ll be fine!

dogsmother Mon 25-Jun-18 09:46:12

Today my eldest is leaving the country.
He has a new job and is moving to live with his true love in Germany.
I am of course very happy for him, but also feeling emotionally on the edge...
Anyhow. I just would like a little advice on what to gift them if anything?