Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Housing

(36 Posts)
Hildagard Mon 25-Jun-18 11:03:12

My youngest DD is pregnant, hurrah. She had a miscarriage year before last which was very traumatic. She has two other children. The house that they live in is rented, landlord does nothing, very run down. We would like to help them get their own place, any Gran know the best way to help. I worry that if we do help, what if we spend on them the money which should be for our old age? Or is that selfish?

HAZBEEN Tue 26-Jun-18 15:30:41

I have had numerous miscarriages and my heart goes out to your family, and yes the whole family is effected. I can understand how she wants to try again and I hope she is getting plenty of medical support.
I think maybe you need to discuss things with your daughter and son in law about how they see things on the housing front. It might be that they have not wanted to ask you for help or because of everything else going on they need assistance with tackling the landlord.

Eilyann70 Tue 26-Jun-18 16:59:15

Don't take any notice of the nay sayers - you and she are where you are. If you can afford it, we helped our dd3 by getting a Barclays help to buy.We put so much into an account with them, locked for 3 years, then she could get a low deposit. As long as she didn't default over 3 years we got our money back -with a little bit of interest. She didn't and we have. Good luck

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Jun-18 17:02:14

I have never had one and unless you have I don’t think you can put yourself in anyone else’s shoes.

So true Hildegard

4allweknow Wed 27-Jun-18 02:12:36

What NewNanny has contributed is very sound advice/information. Options are contact LL to have suitable repairs done, contact Council if no positive and quick action, help with deposit for better place.

PamelaJ1 Wed 27-Jun-18 08:46:30

We have just started looking into the Barclays scheme but you still have to meet their criteria. I presume theOP’s daughter will be giving up work for some time. Will money become tighter?
Our DD is renting from us at present but we may need to sell the property in the future so we are investigating other options.

Hildagard Wed 27-Jun-18 08:57:54

PamelaJI she will go on maternity leave, like they all do now and then return to work. I have wondered if we should consider a buy to let and let it to them, but it is a big commitment and the figures don’t seem to be conclusive.

gmelon Wed 27-Jun-18 09:20:38

Agree with suedonim An eviction is easily the result if one complains to the council.
A friend was living in appalling conditions.
Her bathroom was falling into the front room of the flat below. The joists holding up the floor were rotten. Because of the black dampness you could see the outline of her bathroom floor on the ceiling of the flat below.
It was a converted victorian house.
She had a two year old child and a thirteen year old daughter.
The walls were so damp that fur grew on clothes , bedding etc.
Environmental health got involved. They served a notice on the landlord to do the work.
. My friend was duly evicted.

Hildagard Wed 27-Jun-18 13:22:23

Thanks again for supportive comments much appreciated

mcem Wed 27-Jun-18 13:50:11

Be very careful about buying to let and then renting to them if there is any question of housing benefit involved. You'd probably find that if the house is owned by a family member HB would not be paid.

FarNorth Wed 27-Jun-18 17:06:44

I have rented a house to a family member and housing benefit was paid, as it was not my home and it had previously been let to tenants.
It might be worth enquiring about it, tho, if you are thinking of doing that.