Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone experienced this?

(48 Posts)
MrsAJ Tue 17-Jul-18 16:05:33

I am paternal grandma to an almost 3 year old little boy. Sometimes when he is with me he'll moan that he wants nanny (mum's mum) . I usually just distract him. We do lots of fun things together and he sleeps overnight at my house at least once a week with no problems. Today when I went to collect him from nursery, I was hurt and embarrassed when he said "I want nanny" when he saw me. I gave him a hug and said that today he was going to do fun things with grandma. He's been fine since. Am I being over-sensitive. Has anyone else experienced this?

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 12:16:01

*leave him TO it...not too it. blush

pollyperkins Thu 19-Jul-18 13:27:47

Once we looked after GS aged 4 from friday to sunday lunchtime when his parents were away for a long weekend. We drove to a restaurant by prior arrangemet to meet maternal GPs who were taking over till Monday evening. On the way I explained what was happening. Oh good, he said, beaming I like them!! I tried not to react but felt a bit peeved!!

inishowen Thu 19-Jul-18 14:15:14

You're being over sensitive. My six year old GD spends a lot of time with me. She said she wanted to go shopping with granddad. I asked if I should come. She replied "no, I'm closer to granddad". Was I hurt? Not really. Granddad is a big softy who buys her anything she wants. I tend to be a little stricter!

Rosina Thu 19-Jul-18 17:24:39

Small children do this; I have an excellent relationship with the other Nanny and we just smile when the sides are being played against the middle - one minute I am flavour of the month then it is other Nanny - and because we ignore it and carry on talking and laughing together they soon forget to insist who sits next to them and who is to play a particular game. It seems a very common practice with tiny people - all about power I suppose.

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Jul-18 17:33:53

They’re great, aren’t they? I picked one DGS up from school just before Mother’s Day, and he came out with two little pot plants - one for Mummy, and one for Grandma. I’m Nanna. grin

moobox Thu 19-Jul-18 17:37:00

Ha ha. I tried to read my almost 2 GS a story and he wouldn't let me hold the book

Pinkrinse Thu 19-Jul-18 18:01:41

HI totally agree with the I want ...... insert relevant mum, dad other gran etc. The best one I had was on a very grizzly day she said "I want Lily" (Lily is my German ShepherdDog) so absolutely take no notice!!!

Angela1961 Thu 19-Jul-18 19:16:41

I was talking to my daughter on the phone and my grandson asked who it was. I could hear him telling her he wanted to tell me about their weekend away. She passed the phone over to him and he began to excitedly his little story, I spoke a word or two to him and he realised he was speaking to the 'wrong one' and went off as I wasn't the right nanny/grandma !

Chicklette Thu 19-Jul-18 19:17:30

My youngest grandson has Nana (me), Grandma (paternal grandma) and Nanny- paternal great grandmother. Often when I pick him up from school, or previously from nursery, staff refer to Nanny. It seems to be a catch all name these days. My DGS just says "this is Nana!" But I wonder if your little man was confused and expecting Nanny?

Let it go over your head. He obviously loves you. One of my DGSs (a different one) used to regularly tell me he didn't love me, he only loved Grandad. Annoying though it was I let it go and eventually the phase passed.

Cherrytree59 Thu 19-Jul-18 20:50:02

kateykrunch
I have been known on occasion to sing
ye cannie shuv yer Granny off the bus to my DGS grin

Coco51 Fri 20-Jul-18 09:20:50

Had an experience that was rather awkward on our DGD’s second birthday party: We were childminding full time in the week, my ex-DH and his wife visited from London and the paternal GPs (who really aren’t that interested) were already at the party but we arrived a bit late to DGD flying down tbe hallway excitedly telling everybody ’My Nanny’s here’. But the boot is definitely on the other foot with DS’s sons, the maternal GPs see them far more than us. I guess the old adage is true ‘A Daughter is a daughter all of her life, a son is a son till he gets him a wife’

lemongrove Fri 20-Jul-18 09:26:45

rockgran grin

pollyperkins Fri 20-Jul-18 11:19:17

When I'm at DDs house 3 yr old sometimes wants to talk to other granny on the phone. DD says don't worry; when she's here GD wants to phone me!!

crazyH Fri 20-Jul-18 11:59:00

The first thing my little 3year old grandson looks at, are my hands.......to see what I've got for him. I always have a little something for him.....sometimes, a toy, sometimes a chocolate etc. Yesterday it was a piece of cake that my friend had baked......not happy at all...think he was expecting a toy ?

Nelliemoser Fri 20-Jul-18 19:24:58

Its called playing off the Grown ups. A well known way to keep the attention of the grand parents.
They always want the "other" parent.
My DGSs do it most when mum is on nights, quite understandable.
Try being calm but very matter of fact that the granny who is there is in charge and thats who you have to look after them.

notanan2 Fri 20-Jul-18 21:35:01

If my kids were with me they wanted daddy..if they were with daddy they wanted mum...

don't read anything into it..

Elrel Fri 20-Jul-18 22:46:33

I babysat quite often for a friend. One evening one of her 3 sons opened the door to me with a disappointed 'Oh, it's you'. I was a bit hurt, thought we got on all right.
A few years later he explained. It was nothing personal just they were hoping to have their teenage babysitter who let them get away with anything. I had firmer ideas about tidying up, teeth cleaning, and bedtimes!

bikergran Sat 21-Jul-18 19:31:10

I am the bad granny (maternal) cos! I don't take him straight to Tesco after nursery to buy him those BIG tumblers full of sweets! buy him kinder eggs and those packets of big egg shaped chocolates (the name slips me at the mo)

Blencathra Sun 22-Jul-18 06:44:00

I wouldn't worry about it- it is what children do and fairly meaningless. They are often very good at saying 'I don't love you any more, mummy' if they don't get their own way.
You are there for the long term- just be yourself. He is still 2yrs old and if you try and to be the favourite of a child that age you are in for disappointment - they are very capricious.

focused1 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:09:06

What does he say to the other gran ..,.you only have to say wait or later and wow .....that little mind starts working overtime . Maybe the gauge of your slight reaction ?

cornishclio Sun 22-Jul-18 21:39:33

Oh yes that is a classic with that age group. My DGD is aged 2 years and 10 months and often says I want Grandad or Daddy or Mummy and then other days it is I want Nanny and me, not the other Nanny and vice versa.

It is all part of their development that they can voice their thoughts and sometimes they want different people for different things. Today I had to push her on the swing and Grandad was not allowed to. Then we had the tantrums because my son in law is away from home tonight with work and the plan was for us to have DGD1 and my DD would have her 3 month old baby rather than let her cope with both on her own. Cue my DGD1 wailing "I want to sleep at my house". She is in the middle of toilet training and dropping her final nap and we figure the sleepover was just a step too far.

Don't take it personally.

Apricity Sun 22-Jul-18 22:07:13

When my youngest granddaughter was about 3 and having a "moment" she would run through the list of "I want mummy/daddy" etc. and if all else failed it was "I want Fluffy" -their cat. By this time we were all laughing. Your grandson is 3 and just exploring his world. Don't take it to heart and enjoy your time together, they grow up so quickly.