Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you do?

(121 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Jul-18 16:52:32

As you all probably already know, we would love to get Gransnet on everyone's radar. We think it's amazing (grin) and would love to reach more people to share it with them too... And from a business, we-need-to-keep-the-site-going point of view, we need to keep growing. So, we wanted to ask your opinion. How should we spread the word? How do we reach people who don't already know about Gransnet but who would really enjoy it if they did?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Jul-18 17:30:15

Thanks Bluebelle. We'll definitely take a look at it.

In the meantime, you can update your newsletter preferences by making sure the Gransnet newsletter box is ticked here: www.gransnet.com/member/email-options

Wishes Thu 19-Jul-18 17:39:38

I found it when l googled a chance question and amongst the returning links was a relevant discussion on a Gransnet forum.

Marthjolly1 Thu 19-Jul-18 18:14:16

I really enjoy GN. Im not on every day as I often dont have the time. Not sure when or how I became aware of GN, it was quite a long time ago and I joined just a few months back. I really enjoy other people's opinions on a lot of topics. I don't have a social circle so it's good to read all the chat which often gives me a laugh. I don't find it cliquey, rather there are regulars, some of whom I feel are very warm sensitive souls, always ready to engage in sympathy and or advice. That's nice. I also enjoy the wide variety of sometimes opposing opinions. Not sure though how to expand the site but hope you do.

Golfwidow Thu 19-Jul-18 19:00:28

I was slagged off royally on my first post for sticking up for another new poster who was also taking flack. Whether the nasty ones have now left, I don't know but the nastiness doesn’t seem to happen now, and so I am a ‘lurker’. I often think I might join in but then perhaps not. Happy to lurk.
?

BlueBelle Thu 19-Jul-18 19:31:12

Oh gone on Golfwidow be a devil We don’t all bite, well only at night time and when we have a full moon ??

sluttygran Thu 19-Jul-18 19:55:38

I feel that Gransnet would be even more popular if it were a little more interactive. If you want to reply to a comment, you have to scroll through dozens of other replies by which time the reply often seems to have become ‘off point’
Is there some way that we would be able to reply to comments more interactively?

Herbie9 Thu 19-Jul-18 21:26:14

I'm a member of Silver Travel, which is an excellent source of information on holidays and related topics, and this is where I heard about Gransnet. Two great friendly websites.

hicaz46 Thu 19-Jul-18 21:38:24

Put something in the U3A magazine

Synonymous Fri 20-Jul-18 00:11:15

As someone else has already said get it on to The Archers - and I would add that preferably one of the male characters could be a member. Double message that way.

I guard my privacy so am not keen to talk to friends about it and wouldn't be 'liking' on any social media either. There does seem to be a vulnerability issue for some in this respect.

As regards possible improvements it would be less confusing if there was a facility to reply to a particular post so that it could be seen as what it is rather than being taken out of context.. That might even save some of the 'umbrage' being taken. hmm

As for there being a cliquey feel I think that is more about the balance between the anonymity afforded by the pen name and the length of time many have been on here. It is possible to feel you 'know' some of the members who have been on here for a long time - or at least it used to be until all the name changing took place. You do often cotton on when you start to get the flavour of a 'newbie' because people can't easily change their true persona but I do take it as a hint that they want to be private and therefore try to leave them alone even though I find that a bit sad. I can understand that necessity when privacy has been compromised.

I find the mentioned 'perceived stereotyping ' hilarious and cannot relate to that at all. grin We are all totally unique and have such different lives and experiences so I can only think it must be a knee-jerk/snap judgement.

I joined in the first few days but have not often posted very much and there can be quite lengthy periods when I am not able to do so. For me this site is a lifeline and gives me a feeling of community when I am not able to be 'in the community' in real life. I certainly try to be careful which threads I post on as it can be very draining for me and I cannot participate in some of the more 'robust' threads, those with health issues will more easily understand this.

On the whole I would like GN to stay as it is because "it ain't broke so there's no need to fix it".

BlueBelle Fri 20-Jul-18 02:02:47

Moving on to the reply feature etc making it more user friendly
a) An EDIT button for goodness sake
b) the facility to reply to an individual poster (as you do on Facebook)
c) in the list of threads show who the original poster was not just the last poster
d) get rid of the blooming ‘darling daughter’ etc acronyms
e) ???? To individual posts
I don’t listen to the Archers but as Synonymous said get a Male actor to mention it I think that’s a really good idea

Molly10 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:08:20

I have to add that Gransnet works for me because of it's non commercial simple format.

If you start adding adverts flashing around the place, videos for this that and tosh t'other along with "influencers", as someone suggested, I will definitely be out of here.

Likewise, if everything is linked by instatwitface wotsitsgob then bye bye.

There is too much commercial control going on these days.

Dolcelatte Fri 20-Jul-18 06:15:26

Maybe join up with Mumsnet. It has its own Gransnet site which I always assumed was THE Gransnet site - I only found out there was a separate one through a post on Mumsnet. Many of the threads on Mumsnet are more interesting and fast moving, although there are far too many complaints about mothers in law and parking! It would be good if posters here would post on Mumsnet to give an opposite viewpoint and get some intergenerational debate and communication going.

Most grans are also mothers (some may not be if they have stepgrandchildren), so many issues and topics on Mumsnet are of interest to most posters on here, and I am not sure why there needs to be a separate site. I am probably typical of many, who feel that I am a bit between Mumsnet and Gransnet, as my children are young adults and no sign of any grandchildren yet. I am interested in the threads about relationships with adult children but, that apart, many of the threads are a bit dull and uninspiring.

The presentation of the site is also fragmented and off putting, with topics like 'Ask a Gran' or 'Grandad's Potting Shed'. Just why? What is the point of these topics, as the posters could just as easily start threads under say Chat, Relationships, AIBU (or gardening?). Why do you need to be a Gran or have a potting shed (and why can't Granny have one?) to give an opinion?

Similarly, the clothes and make up advice seems to be frumpy and old fashioned = circa Marks and Spencer's in the 1950s. Most grandparents don't think or dress as Gransnet expects them to. I happily swap clothes with my adult daughters.Even the name and the logo are uninspiring and off putting. Having been on here for some months now, I think that Gransnet actually reinforces a lot of ageist, sexist stereotypes, rather than leading the charge to break these down. There is a potentially huge number of Baby Boomers who would probably become more involved if the site were more modern and engaged with current issues.

In short, in order to widen the appeal, I think Gransnet needs a total revamp as, even if you attract more attention, few people are going to stay if the site itself remains as it is.

Sorry if this is critical, but you did ask!

kittylester Fri 20-Jul-18 06:23:03

Actually, I"m not sure they did ask for how to change it but how to make gn more well known.

Billybob4491 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:27:01

Well said Dolcelatte, excellent post, if changes were to be made could the acronyms be dispensed with. Start reading a post then I hit a wall of DS, FIL, MIL, DGS etc., by the time I have looked up the acronyms section, I have forgotten the story line!

Dolcelatte Fri 20-Jul-18 06:27:56

Kitty, I interpreted the question as being how to make the site more commercially viable by growing numbers, so I don't think I have digressed too much, but will leave it to the Gransnet team to decide whether or not my comments are of any use!

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Jul-18 07:14:16

The Mumsnet Gransnet is this one, surely, the sites are already linked, and plenty of us do get involved on threads over there (when we’re feeling brave grin).

I like the logo - it’s retro rather than old-fashioned, imho, quite a strong image. It reminds me of those Russian posters us 70s students had on our walls. And acronyms are there to use or not, as you wish. I for one find them useful.

Back to the topic... The suggestion re getting a mention on the Archers is inspired. Corrie too. How about a whole storyline involving a new dodgy partner for Gail, starting with a foray into Grandad’s Shed for advice on her herb garden/that marijuana she’s nurturing in her back yard? hmm

RosieLeah Fri 20-Jul-18 07:44:53

In your attempts at publicising, I think you should avoid the word 'lonely'. Many people are alone by choice and need some mental stimulation, and to be able to discuss things without being personally involved with anyone. People who regard themselves as lonely have no need to be, there is plenty going on in the real world, it's just a case of getting out there and getting involved.

Synonymous Fri 20-Jul-18 11:22:02

RosieLeah why ever would you want to avoid the word lonely? That makes it sound as if there is a stigma attached to loneliness and possibly a fault. Surely nobody becomes lonely by choice. Whilst I agree that some are alone by choice there are some who are not and in any case you can feel very alone in a crowd. Inevitably as we age it can become increasingly difficult to get out at all never mind get involved other than in virtual reality which is one of the reasons GN can be a real blessing. People find themselves in many different situations for very many reasons and those are not necessarily of their own making. sad

Alexa Sat 21-Jul-18 10:39:22

I agree with you Synonymous.
Rosieleah's post is mixed. Her first sentence is true, her second sentence not true and doesn't follow from the first one.

Rainsong31 Sat 21-Jul-18 11:53:46

A friend sent me an e-mail with a link to 'going no contact' thread. My daughter has gone NC and thought the link would interest me. It did and I'm hooked now, you could spend all day on here! My friend found you by accident trawling internet!

Auntieflo Sat 21-Jul-18 16:43:32

I agree with Synonymous, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Just recently there do seem to be a lot more new names posting on here. I know you do have to grow, probably from advertising, but would hate it to get too big. As to Loose Women, I have only seen a snippet, once, it was awful, don't go there! I do like my anonymity, but have enjoyed a couple of Meet Ups. Lots of interesting points made here though.

Bluegal Sat 21-Jul-18 17:28:55

I don’t have any suggestions Laura. I don’t really tell friends/family I am on as initially I found the site because I was struggling with certain things. I was helped enormously on here and that side of things have resolved.

The only thing I can say is I appear to be “addicted” to Gransnet now! It’s overtaken Facebook for me!!! I love the discussions even those that get heated lol. Does anyone else feel compelled to keep looking even if everyone disagrees with your views? Should I be seeking help for this addiction ??

Synonymous Sat 21-Jul-18 18:05:22

Bluegal I loathe facebook except for seeing family photographs. I cannot bear to read all the vaccuity- so I don't. GN is much more normal and fairly sane so don't look for help and just keep on keeping on. grin

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 08:46:40

I can't remember how I found Gransnet but I am very glad that I did. I am on here most days but steer clear of any sites where people get wound up and are rude to one another. I tell everyone about being on here and find myself saying, maybe too frequently, how I had read such and such on Gransnet! I never tell anyone my user name and as it is nothing like my real name I don't think any one would be able to identify me.
I watch a lot of tv because I can and I enjoy it so "Yes" to a mention on Loose Women (I agree it is not always enjoyable but I record it and fast forward the bits I am not enjoying.)
I don't think there is a typical Gransnetter - and most are very kind and supportive of other posters - but a few seem to definitely come on here to cause trouble and upset others but, to be honest, I just feel sorry for them as they must be very unhappy people.
I think I have said enough - well done if you have got this far!!
One last thing to all lurkers - please join in. The first time I posted I made a complete mess of it and my post appeared 3 times. I felt a fool but it didn't put me off! grin

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 08:48:26

BlueBelle - I have pm'd you smile