Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mental health

(188 Posts)
maddyone Thu 02-Aug-18 10:54:51

My AC has mental health issues. I don’t want to disclose any identifying details so can’t say too much, except it’s difficult. I sometimes wonder if I should seek some councelling myself, but not sure that will help me come to terms with it all and the difficulties it causes to the whole family.

notoveryet Fri 05-Apr-19 09:52:35

Just to update, granddaughter was discharged into the care of her mum, but last night crisis team had to be called in again. So the anguish continues along with mourning for my husband, I guess we'll get through this but it's a hard road and the support of gransnet is much appreciated.

Anniebach Fri 05-Apr-19 10:00:09

notoveryet I am so very sorry, it is a very hard road , wish I could say it wasn’t.

How are you coping with your grief?

maddyone Fri 05-Apr-19 10:35:16

Notoveryet, I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this terrible time. Please keep posting on this thread where you can find support. It's so difficult to know who to turn to in these difficult times but here on Gransnet you will find caring support.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband, it's a particularly difficult time for you to be dealing with your granddaughter's illness as well.
Sending caring thoughts.

maddyone Fri 05-Apr-19 23:47:56

How are you notoveryet?

notoveryet Sun 07-Apr-19 07:32:29

Thank you for your concern. I'm putting one foot in front of the other and trying to stay strong. Various folk have suggested asking my gp for help as I'm not sleeping and I have a phone consultation booked for tomorrow. Granddaughter showing little sign of improvement, I'm living an absolute nightmare.

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 08:43:29

It is a nightmare, tell your GP all please, sleep gives our minds some rest. We are here for you, we can’t take away your pain but we know what living a nightmare is .

Come here as often as you wish , we will listen and we care x

maddyone Sun 07-Apr-19 10:19:25

Yes, please do tell your GP as Annie suggests. Sleep is so important when times are tough. Keep coming back on here, we are here to listen.

KatyK Sun 07-Apr-19 10:35:34

notoveryet flowers

Searcher60 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:13:54

Hi. I have just hit 60 and suffer from hashimotos hypothyroidism. I have a demanding full time job but it gets harder to perform basic tasks due to pain and brain fog. I gave battled politely with my G.P for last 14 years but the blood results are always normal. I have raised two children on my own, achieved a law degree and looked after my mother when ill. I feel that all my efforts have come to naught and terrified of not surviving financially until retirement because I will not be able to worknuntil 66. I am a WASPI. I knew I was ill some time ago and made plans to retire. Now the posts have been moved again I am terrified.

jenpax Wed 24-Apr-19 09:25:57

Sorry to hear of your worries Searcher60. I would suggest that you start your own thread with this issue, as it might get lost in the midst of this one

maddyone Wed 24-Apr-19 14:06:52

Yes Searcher, definitely start a new thread because there may well be knowledge about this particular condition out there among the other grans. I understand that you are probably feeling very depressed about your condition and my heart goes out to you. It must be so very difficult for you to cope. It’s obvious you can’t continue to work full time in your condition until you are 66 or 67. I don’t have any advice to offer so please do start a new thread.

jeanie99 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:59:12

I agree with Star Bird but do you have a good friend you could talk too it makes such a difference just talking about things.