Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daughter in law

(203 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 08-Aug-18 06:07:45

Why on earth are there all these threads about mother in laws and new babies I simply don’t understand this need to be there and involved from hour zero Why on earth be devastated because you didn’t hear as soon as the baby was born, your son was too emotional meeting HIS ( not your) new baby and obviously so overtaken he didn’t think of anything but that He needed to have time to bond
If you are going to be jealous of the ‘other’ family who live round the corner you will have a lot of disappointing moments I m afraid You are mentally pushing far too much, first by changing your job, then changing your work hours all in expectation of being ‘needed’ Did anyone ask you to change these things ?
I think you must calm down I can totally understand your excitement but if you expect to be number one now you will be so disappointed A daughter will always naturally turn to her own Mum and that’s exactly how it will always be and should be, if she is wise she will start to include you too BUT be aware you could push her away if you are so incistant
It sounds as if you have seen the baby so just enjoy what time you do get and my bet is it will all increase in time
Don’t spoil this wonderful new little life with your own upsets

Marmight Wed 08-Aug-18 05:10:26

Be patient! The baby is only 3 weeks old and they are adjusting to being a family of 3. I think you are expecting too much too soon. Give it time....

Akenside62 Wed 08-Aug-18 04:27:31

I'm having issues already with seeing my granddaughter and she is only 3 weeks old! I live over an hour away from my son and so left my job so I could find part time work and see my granddaughter once a week. To take the pressure off them at weekends. As of yet I'm yet to see her on my day off. Her parents live around the corner and drop in regularly.
I also took time off when she was induced as my son had asked if I would want to be there and I said yes.(not at the birth just later when sect could go in).
We had been waiting around at home for 2 days and when it was close he said he would text. This did not happen. The first we knew was 5hrs after she was born. I was devastated.
My son said it was too emotional and he couldn't ring and yet his wife's family was there and they did not help him to make that call!
This has continued. We've asked to go up and just see her and have a cup of tea but they do not want us to go. Other grandma is there most days and sons wife can't drive we have offered to go but have not been taken up on this.
I'm trying to be patient and not push it but it's really affecting me.
His wife is calling all the shots and he is a loving husband and just goes along with whatever she wants.
She has stopped other things in the past that we hAve tried to do but I honestly didn't think this would happen with the baby.
What can I do,?