Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did you regret retiring too early?

(174 Posts)
35inmyhead Fri 17-Aug-18 11:50:47

I'm approaching my 58th birthday and having survived a rather rocky few years with a tricky manager I'm finally coming out the other side. My OH has a really good pension and we've made some decent investments over the years. Basically, I could retire now. I appreciate this is a luxury so I'm not posting to rub anyone's noses in it. But would I regret doing it? I think I'll miss my friends in the office, the community spirit. I'll miss the work too, though the deadlines not so much. Is 58 too young to retire? I'm tempted by the travel opportunities and not having to be beholden to anyone but I think I'd miss that sense of contributing. Did you retire at the 'right' age?

Telly Sun 19-Aug-18 16:22:44

Smurf52- have you thought about voluntary work? Would give some structure to your days and the opportunity to get out and about and meet new people?

gigi1958 Sun 19-Aug-18 16:31:24

The list
Do not miss the people
Do not miss the work
Do not miss the "community"
Do not miss the commute
Do not miss one bit of it!

Oh and yes I am VERY happy, it's been 8 months I was 59 when I retired. The days that I get restless I tend to just ask myself this on question..."want to go to work today" and I know my answer and suddenly restlessness magically goes away.

Lumarei Sun 19-Aug-18 19:10:28

I gave up my job when we decided to move nearer to our families. I had offered to look after my DGD for 2.5 days a week with the intention of finding a part time job for the rest of the time. As time went on I lost confidence that anyone would want to employ me aged 57and gave up the idea. One day my daughter spotted a job advert on her medical surgery’s web site offering exactly the days of the week I was free. So I let fate decide and applied for the job which I got immediately even though I had no experience in that field.
Even though I now work more/harder than when I worked full time in my previous job with a much reduced income, i enjoy the new challenge and meeting new people in my new town.
The best thing about this arrangement is that if I don’t enjoy it anymore I can give it up any time, there is no pressure to keep working that is what makes it like a hobby with a little bit of income. My father in law is in his mid 90s and been retired for as long as he has been working. He is finding this very strange.

Sandieanne Mon 20-Aug-18 09:03:59

What a really interesting conversation. I sometimes think about retiring but have a very low boredom threshold and worry about what I would do with myself. The comments seem to vary - I think maybe one way round this is to prepare and have an idea of what you will do with your time

KayR Mon 20-Aug-18 12:36:14

I retired at 63 because my management job just became too stressful. Hence. I don't miss the job but do miss the routine and social aspect, even tho I have many friends and ex colleagues to have coffee and lunch with. I have taken up crafting and my greetings cards have gone down a storm, it's almost like having a job and keeps me busy and happy.
However I seem to spend more than I occasionally get paid! I don't regret retiring but under different circumstances I would probably have still been working at 67. DH is working but will retire within the next year so we'll see what happens then!

gigi1958 Tue 21-Aug-18 23:56:10

Sandieanne, I really thought that I would know what I wanted to do once I retired when I was working, however that did not hold true for me.

As much as I day dreamed of it all, it all changed once I walked out that door.

You just don't know till you take the leap. I thought for sure I would do volunteer work until I realized I really did enjoy my own company and wanted nothing to do with anything that felt like a job particularly working with people. My dog and cat are my coworkers now.

I thought I would do this or that, and I ended up getting more skillful in trading the markets. And it does not feel at all like a job.

And while this is selfish of me I look back at my life and feel like after being a single parent, taking care of my parents, being a landlord to make ends meet that I have fulfilled all of life's obligations and now this is 100% my time.

So when I wake up each day I know that my job is to make myself happy doing whatever it is that I want. And that to me is what retirement is all about. And retiring early with good health is the icing on the cake.

sazz1 Sun 26-Aug-18 13:55:41

I retired at 59 after a lifelong series of jobs mostly in care and support i.e. social work, p a to disabled people and 3 yrs as a registered chilminder. I'm now doing childcare for my youngest DGD 4yrs old. She starts school next month and then DH 66yrs will work part time sort out this house and next yr we will retire to Devon. I don't regret it although money has been tight. I know I made the right decision as my health was not great and was diagnosed with a long term condition. I have been able to enjoy life and feel much better now Im not under work pressures any more.

Padine Tue 28-Aug-18 20:13:20

I think I retired at the right time,but my mistake was my husband retired at the same time. We are busy, but the last 18 months have been more hell than heaven and I think our 37 years of married life have come to an end. After another awful row this morning, I’ve moved into the spare room this afternoon hoping that some space may help. He regularly accuses me of being lazy+insecure, doesn’t like me being on my phone if there’s a TV programme on (I’m texting or browsing, wouldn’t dare speak on the phone) how do you know when or if it’s over?

Beau Tue 28-Aug-18 21:19:04

I was made redundant at 59, knew I would never get another job and really enjoyed the year I spent lazing around, never bored as I love reading more than anything. Now I look after DGS every day and I'm exhausted the whole time but in theory, I am retired from paid work ?

Padine Tue 28-Aug-18 21:54:42

Yes Beau, I’m pleased to be finished with paid work, how do I get through to my husband that I’m entitled to read, watch TV or whatever I feel like doing? He says I don’t need to be working when he does (in the garden, painting the house eaves etc) then he contradicts himself and calls me lazy (amongst other things). This is not what I thought retirement would be ?

gigi1958 Wed 29-Aug-18 03:30:21

I think retiring when married is harder than being single and retired. Being single means I am the master of 100% of my time and it's an absolute pleasure!

Blencathra Wed 29-Aug-18 05:25:08

I retired at 59yrs and absolutely love it. There is so much to do - the only problem is that a lot of it clashes and you can't do it all. You don't have to give up working - you just don't get paid- the volunteering opportunities are endless- over just about any sphere. I have never regretted it.

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 09:35:19

I don’t think you will regret it, if you do find yourself getting bored there are lots of organisations that will be glad to have you on board.. many folks I know end up saying that they don’t know where they found the time to work ?

Padine Wed 29-Aug-18 15:46:32

Gigi, you are absolutely right! wink Time to focus on what I want at last and just back from going to a baby dance/music time with my 1st grandchild+dil, had a very special time (don’t need DH? Sadly not!)

Reading other posts is encouraging, so pleased to have switched from mumsnet to Gransnet, is this a world wide online organisation or just UK?

Razzy Fri 19-Jul-19 15:01:24

Reading through all the comments it does seem like those with lots of interests outside of work, and enough cash, really enjoyed retiring early.

I am 50, have enough money (just), a good pension, I have a high pressure job. The job itself I enjoy but the irregular shift work and stress does my head in! I never know what I am doing from one month to the next so hard to plan. Also have a child at school then uni for a good few years yet and juggling job and family is hard. I often have to work weekends and holidays.

I've been offered a part-time well paid very local permanent job. It is different to what I do now, regular and flexible hours, school holidays off, Xmas off, Easter off. I could walk to work (my job now is about an hour away). BUT and its a big but - if I leave my job I would not be able to go back into the industry, except as a very very junior employee on a low wage. The local job I have done a bit of ad hoc work with them and enjoyed it.

I am in 2 minds! OH will probably do another 5-10 years at work.

I love my own company, have friends I could meet up with in daytime if needed, have lots of hobbies.

If anyone has any words of wisdom let me know!!

Is it really a case that if you can afford to and you have plenty of interests you should retire asap? Or at least do a local part-time job?

FarNorth Fri 19-Jul-19 15:15:13

Razzy it sounds as if you'd have to consider yourself to be retired from your current area of work, even though you'd continue to work at something else.
If you did think of going back, would the very junior level be something you'd want to do, regardless of the level you are at now?
Try imagining that you have worked your notice and are about to start the new job. How do you feel?

FarNorth Fri 19-Jul-19 15:21:34

I'm 67 and could afford to retire but don't like the idea of stopping earning completely.
I work part-time and have just got a new job in a type of work I've done before.
I had thought my current job would be my last one (been in it for 11 years) so it's quite exciting to be starting something new.

Ilovecheese Fri 19-Jul-19 15:21:59

If you have a pension and a husband I suppose you have to ask yourself if it would matter much if you had to go back to being a junior employee on a low wage.
If it is the work itself, at the present level of interest and responsibility that you would miss, rather than the cash, could you think about doing some stimulating new educational course.

I suppose also that it depends how many more years of school your child has left, so would you need the school holiday times for many more years.

A part time job could also ease you in to retirement more gradually that your present full time work, so less of a change when you do retire.

Lots for you to think about and only you can find the answers. There is no "should" only what is best for you.
I wish you all the best whatever your decision is.

Razzy Fri 19-Jul-19 15:23:01

I should add, if I do another 3 years I get a £18k bonus during those years, then full pension in 5 years from now.

I wouldn’t do the same job but at junior level - it is the same stress but alot less pay!

Minniemoo Fri 19-Jul-19 15:27:56

I always looked forward to retiring. Usual comments about how much better it would be without having to be in work. However, 3 or 4 years ago I began having odd health issues, general malaise and lethargy so I went part time and last year I just gave in and retired at 56. No money problems at all so that's not an issue but if I wasn't poorly I'd have stayed working. Retirement is great if you're fit and healthy, I'd say!

Washerwoman Fri 19-Jul-19 15:40:28

Just retired earlier this year just before my 60th birthday.I had intended to carry on for another 2/3 years but running my own business which was physically demanding,even though I'm pretty fit for my age was beginning to take its toll.I don't get my SRP for almost another 7 years (sob) and only have a modest private pension but DH is still working, and has no plans to give up as he enjoys it.We do have some savings and ave paid off the mortgage but we will have to be much more frugal.However I'm a very happy bunny so far.I don't get bored easily and walk miles with my dogs.I have plenty of friends,some retired and some much younger who work from home who also have dogs and are always up for a walk.I love our large garden,help with DGCs and my elderly mum.
Already I'm sleeping so much better after years of insomnia and in particular don't miss chasing certain clients for payment.Winter will be interesting.But then I'm a bit odd in that I rather like lots of things about winter and I'm going to start some volunteering for a couple of organisations that mean a lot to our family.

Abuelana Sun 21-Jul-19 22:29:09

Retired at 56 never regretted it for one moment. Often wonder how I ever managed to work. Days are full and exciting. Can travel where and when we want. My husband was told before he retired always have a plan for the next day it’s that that will make you get up with motivation. I say plans are great and stay flexible in your thinking so you don’t cause yourself stress if things change! Go for it !!

SueH49 Mon 22-Jul-19 04:51:42

I retired at 58 mainly because I was not happy in my job and with a merger imminent it was not going to get any better.
Unfortunately although we don't have a financial problem I find I don't do a lot and waste a lot of time. DH retired about 2 years after me at 62 and he has not regretted a day of retirement. He pretty much does as he pleases which is play in his shed and fly his model planes. He does do things around the house and does have significant health issues but has no interest in going anywhere or holidaying.
Now I'm approaching 70 and have mobility issues I so wish we had done more in those first years of retirement.