Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

BO

(82 Posts)
BBbevan Mon 20-Aug-18 03:08:51

My GD is 12 and has serious BO. She showers every day and wears clean clothes. We have bought her deodorant but she, despite nagging , does not use it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Grankind Fri 24-Aug-18 09:42:15

Thankyou - with a gran like you I'm certain all will turn out well.

goldengirl Fri 24-Aug-18 11:56:42

Referring to an early post: I remember a rather pretty girl at school who had BO - it didn't put the boys off one iota!!

Eloethan Fri 24-Aug-18 12:07:59

As a child, I thought my Mum made an awful fuss about me washing my neck (amongst other things like airing your clothes, not wearing a vest one day and leaving it off the other, etc, etc).

Arriving at school one day, having been caught in a downpour, one of my classmates was drenched, with water trickling from her hair down her neck. I watched, fascinated, as on its journey down her neck the water left several wobbly lines of clean skin. Suddenly my Mum's apparent fussiness made sense.

JackyB Fri 24-Aug-18 17:21:55

I have an older one, too. My DS2, let's call him P, age 34, doesn't shower as often as he should (and then only showers in the evenings, not in the mornings. ) His sweat is particularly pungent, and as he is a teacher, I worry that this will undermine his authority, as the kids may not take him seriously.

I am hoping that his wife is working on it - I have dropped a few hints, and always wash his clothes as soon as he takes them off if he is staying with us.

Once, DS1 and family were to sleep in the same room as DS2 had just vacated, and DiL1 came downstairs with an armful of bedlinen, which I hadn't changed yet. She had taken it off, wrinkling her nose and commenting that it smelt of P!

Fennel Fri 24-Aug-18 17:28:54

No-one has mentioned BO from the other end (apart from Jacky above.)
This can be more difficult to deal with, especially young girls just starting to menstruate. Though I can't say I noticed it with our girls.

travelsafar Fri 24-Aug-18 18:27:26

Men and teenage boys seem to have a particular smell.My husband never has smelly armpits or feet but his bald head makes his pillow and case smell and it stains them too.I have tried all sorts of ways of getting rid of the smell to no avail so now i wash his bedding seprate from mine as it does transfer to other items.Any ideas anyone???