Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you hear what I hear?

(35 Posts)
phoenix Mon 20-Aug-18 22:32:05

The problem is, no one else can confused

For about a week or so now I have been hearing a sort of "zizz" noise, a bit like when a fly lands on one of those blue light things in the butchers!

It's intermittent, and goes in bursts of two or three.

Yesterday I kept saying to Mr P "there! you must have heard that!, but he said he couldn't. He has had a heavy cold, so I put it down to that.

However, today I could hear it in the car, and also at work, so I'm reaching the conclusion that it's either little friendly aliens that have chosen to follow me around whilst trying to communicate, or that I'm losing my marbles sad

It doesn't feel as if the noise is in my head, so to speak, in other words not a buzzing in my ears, but definitely a sound coming from "outside" my head and into my ear.

I've checked to see if I can still hear it when still, thus eliminating any chance of fabric friction, and I can.

I would feel very foolish going to the GP at this stage blush although as the pain at the base of my skull is still quite bad, I suppose if I did have to go back about that, I could mention this thing.

Any advice appreciated!

cornergran Mon 20-Aug-18 22:34:57

Could it be tinnitus Phoenix? Mine often seems to be external. Get thee to the doctor, if your head hurts as well you need checking out.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 20-Aug-18 22:35:26

At first, I wondered if you were describing tinnitus but you say it isn't inside your head.

If it persists, I think you should ask your GP but, with any luck, the noise will go away.

MawBroon Mon 20-Aug-18 22:48:10

Maybe even wax in your ears?
Oh the joys of ageing.
Alternatively it could be aliens. ? ? ?

phoenix Mon 20-Aug-18 22:53:35

Given the choice, Maw I'd pick the aliens, you never know, they might be the sort that like ironing and cleaning ovens?

Doodle Mon 20-Aug-18 22:53:36

??? hello earthling, alien landing force here. Take me to your leader.

Doodle Mon 20-Aug-18 22:55:39

Got there just before me maw grin

phoenix have you thought it could be the wind whistling past your ears now you have no hair to cover them?

phoenix Mon 20-Aug-18 22:57:20

grin

It didn't cover them before, Doodle!

Doodle Mon 20-Aug-18 23:04:15

Is it just now and then phoenix or continuous?
If you do have pain in your hear or neck it could be some sort of tension issue. I hope it's not tinnitus. I have that and it drives me potty sometimes (well actually I'm quite potty most of the time but you know what I mean)

Coolgran65 Mon 20-Aug-18 23:07:12

Mawbroon..... I read your post as .... Sex in your ear.
Oh dear, time I was in bed.

phoenix Mon 20-Aug-18 23:11:09

Coolgran would that count as aural sex?

harrigran Mon 20-Aug-18 23:28:15

I was going to suggest that it was the electric wiring in the house but then you mentioned the car. We used to have a light switch that made a fizzing sound.

POGS Mon 20-Aug-18 23:45:47

' aural sex '

grin

jusnoneed Tue 21-Aug-18 08:44:26

Might sound daft but it's not something you've set on your mobile phone is it?
I spent ages trying to work out what an odd noise was one day, turned out to be OH's phone!

mcem Tue 21-Aug-18 09:24:54

Once in class, a very precocious 10 yr-old boy asked, with a smirk, what oral sex was.
I answered that I wasn't 100% sure but it could be that people were simply talking about.
I then suggested he should ask his parents!

Devorgilla Tue 21-Aug-18 10:30:54

I would go to see the GP. Have you been away where you could have picked up a tick? They can hide in the weirdest of places and neck pain can be a symptom of lyme disease. Best get it checked out.

Moocow Tue 21-Aug-18 10:59:00

Well done mcem!

OP the phone idea sounds worth checking out but if not then definitely a doc appointment as you said about having pain.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 11:03:49

some nights I can hear a humming sound which is enough to stop me going to sleep. I thought perhaps that it was tinnitus but when I mentioned it to DH, he can hear it too. We can't find out what it is - it's not a fridge or freezer as it never seems to stop.

In fact, I can hear it now as the radio isn't on.

I think it's alien spacecraft phoenix

Moocow Tue 21-Aug-18 11:06:45

Meant to say i like your heading but now I can't get that song out if my head, thanks! grin

starbird Tue 21-Aug-18 11:14:12

Jalima If you are not in a detached prperty, could it be a neighbour’s appliance - perhaps a fluorescent tube? A friend had one that hummed under a (top) kitchen cupboard and she kept it on all the time because there was a problem with it coming on if she switched it off.

I also have tinnitus and it sounds like it’s coming from outside of my head too.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 11:21:03

We are detached but I know what you mean about the fluorescent tube. We have a couple under a top kitchen cupboard, rarely used and they do hum; we've never left one on at night.
DH is like The Queen - goes round switching lights off grin

HAZBEEN Tue 21-Aug-18 11:57:21

I know this might sound odd Jalima but do you have a light in the loft? My parents complained about a humming noise and we finally traced it to a fluorescent light in the loft that had been left on!
Also my neighbour asked me to help her find a hissing noise in her bedroom. It was a radio behind a curtain that was on but 'off station'.

Elegran Tue 21-Aug-18 12:52:05

Is it a street light with a bulb that is about to give up?

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 13:00:47

Yes, we do - however, there is a switch on the landing which operates it and believe me, DH would always check to see if it's been left on grin

I wonder if the pipes 'hum' in the attic after the loo has been flushed.

Is it a street light with a bulb that is about to give up?
There is one outside and I wish it would give up!

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 13:01:37

Actually, Elegran that could be an idea, I'll check to see if we can hear it if a window is open at the front.