Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you hear what I hear?

(36 Posts)
phoenix Mon 20-Aug-18 22:32:05

The problem is, no one else can confused

For about a week or so now I have been hearing a sort of "zizz" noise, a bit like when a fly lands on one of those blue light things in the butchers!

It's intermittent, and goes in bursts of two or three.

Yesterday I kept saying to Mr P "there! you must have heard that!, but he said he couldn't. He has had a heavy cold, so I put it down to that.

However, today I could hear it in the car, and also at work, so I'm reaching the conclusion that it's either little friendly aliens that have chosen to follow me around whilst trying to communicate, or that I'm losing my marbles sad

It doesn't feel as if the noise is in my head, so to speak, in other words not a buzzing in my ears, but definitely a sound coming from "outside" my head and into my ear.

I've checked to see if I can still hear it when still, thus eliminating any chance of fabric friction, and I can.

I would feel very foolish going to the GP at this stage blush although as the pain at the base of my skull is still quite bad, I suppose if I did have to go back about that, I could mention this thing.

Any advice appreciated!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Aug-18 13:46:23

Jalima, do you have any electric clocks? Some of them hum loudly.

harrigran Tue 21-Aug-18 13:48:42

All electric appliances that charge have a transformer that hums, DH doesn't hear them but I do. Upstairs we can have five or six items charging at any one time.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 17:30:32

DH has a phone by the side of his bed ….. a landline.

I will investigate, thank you

Greyduster Tue 21-Aug-18 17:39:57

Jalima I’m glad you said about the humming sound. We have had that this year, at night. It is definitely outside because when we shut the bedroom window we can’t hear it. We asked our neighbour across the road, and he can’t hear it. We wondered if it was something to do with the street lights, but short of going out and standing under one (which, whether I was swinging my handbag or not, could give people entirely the wrong idea (or a good laugh!)) it’s difficult to know!

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 17:43:14

I'm determined to solve this mystery now!

janemar Tue 21-Aug-18 18:41:46

As you can hear it at work and in the car it is obviously a problem you have, that coupled with the head pain is really one for the doctor, not to be diagnosed on here .

Bathsheba Tue 21-Aug-18 19:19:37

How far is work from home Phoenix? Because if you can hear it there as well, it sounds to me as if you need to see your GP. But if work is very close to home, it could possibly be an environmental thing. Have you got wind turbines nearby? Lots of people report hearing a constant hum from them.

phoenix Tue 21-Aug-18 20:55:30

Hello all, and thank you for the responses. I think many are right, perhaps a trip to the GP, although I am loath to take up surgery time with something so silly!

PS How odd (not) that I'm getting adverts for hearing aids at the bottom of the page! Although the wording "Pensioners Go Crazy For New Totally Automatic Hearing Aids" is annoying on many levels, as

A. Although now 60, I do not get a pension, and therefore am not a "pensioner"
B. Even if I was a pensioner, I some how doubt if I would be going "crazy" for this product.
C. WHY ARE THEY USING SHOUTY CAPITALS FOR EVERY WORD?

Doodle Tue 21-Aug-18 21:04:12

BECAUSE YOU CANT HEAR THEM DUE TO THE BUZZING IN YOUR EAR grin

NannyJan53 Wed 22-Aug-18 08:05:59

I suffer from Tinnitus, and sometimes the noise does seem to be outside the head. If you are hearing this everywhere you go, it is a possibility it is Tinnitus