Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Probiotics

(33 Posts)
Coppernob Sat 25-Aug-18 19:29:38

At the beginning of July I had minor day surgery on my knee. Unfortunately the wound became infected and for the past 5 weeks I have been on strong iv and then oral antibiotics. These have been making me feel pretty grim, but thankfully, as the knee is now much improved, my surgeon has said I can stop taking them from next Monday.

I have been told that I should take probiotics to replace the good bugs in my gut. I would greatly value recommendations from those who know about such things as to what it is best to take - tablets, a drink such as Yakult, probiotic yogurts, all of the above or something different? Whatever I take needs to be fat free. Any advice would be gratefully received.

gerry86 Mon 27-Aug-18 14:54:52

My doctor recommended Actimel after I had a bad stomach reaction to antibiotics and it cleared up.. I still have one everyday now, don't know if they do any good or not but I assume they're not doing any harm.

Sparklefizz Mon 27-Aug-18 16:17:06

gerry86 They don't do any harm but they don't do any good either.

petra Mon 27-Aug-18 17:37:59

gerry86
If your not concerned about your sugar intake, that's fine. But if you are, that one pot contains a third of the recommended sugar intake.

Sparklefizz Mon 27-Aug-18 19:14:21

And the sugar in the yoghurt will feed the bad bugs in your gut and counteract the good bugs in the yoghurt, which is the reason you're eating it.

teifi Mon 27-Aug-18 20:17:28

Look in the 'Polish' section of your supermarket (mine is Tesco) and you will find various imported fermented products, cheeses and no-added-sugar keffir, both full fat & reduced fat. I've replaced yogurt with keffir, it is much nicer, more like yogurt used to be years ago. If you read the label carefully you can puzzle out the fat content, and also see which bacteria have been used in the product. These imported products are also very reasonable, the keffir I buy costs 79p for a bottle which lasts me for three days.

OldMeg Mon 27-Aug-18 22:44:06

gerry86 I take an actimel to bed every night. So, there’s some sugar in it but also a healthy dose of calcium and Vit D. I can’t stand kefir personally - it makes me heave.

gerry86 Tue 28-Aug-18 17:20:40

You've had me rushing to the ingredients list on the packet. It's a minefield nowadays to know what's good/bad/too much fat/too much sugar and what is actually in what we eat and so on and on and on. Maybe I'll cut down to one every other day.