Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How can someone get to Mr P's age..............

(49 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Sep-18 19:09:31

And not have grasped the fundamental, basic, let's face it, LOGICAL approach to washing up?

We have just finished our Sunday meal, in fact I was still finishing mine, as he approached the sink, turned on the tap and squirted some washing up liquid.

(BTW, we don't have a dishwasher)

So ladies, before you all tell me how lucky I am to have a husband, plus one that will tackle the washing up, can you understand my frustration ?

SueDonim Sun 09-Sep-18 19:20:05

How else do you wash up by hand except with water and washing up liquid? confused I think I must be missing something here! grin

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-Sep-18 19:23:37

Mine has just gone into the lounge to let his dinner go down!

I am in kitchen clearing up after cooking said roast dinner,
I am not angry, just glad of the peace and quiet.

phoenix Sun 09-Sep-18 19:36:22

Sorry, perhaps I should explain blush

There were still dishes in the rack from my earlier washing up (I wash up once everything is prepped, including the pan and colander for the roast potatoes)

So, all that is left should be the plates and cutlery that we have used, the dish that the roast potatoes were cooked in, ditto the meat, and pans/sieves for veg.

Is it only me that would rinse the plates and pans before starting to wash up?

phoenix Sun 09-Sep-18 19:39:06

PS And empty the draining rack rather than attempt a sort of abstract Eiffel tower by piling more stuff on top?

lemongrove Sun 09-Sep-18 20:02:49

well, at least he went to do the washing up, so brownie points
for that, many DH's just slope off to watch tv!

cornergran Sun 09-Sep-18 20:07:40

My sympathy phoenix. There’s a lack of logic here too. Not washing up but wouldn’t it seem obvious that I can’t access a locked shed to retrieve the one thing Mr C must have if he has disappeared with the key in his pocket? And sigh.

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Sep-18 20:32:59

Is it only me that would rinse the plates and pans before starting to wash up?

I couldn't follow it because we have 1.5 sinks so we I can fill the sink with hot soapy water ready to wash up and rinse the plates etc in the half sink too.

grin

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Sep-18 20:33:50

ps we went out for lunch today, it was so much easier!

merlotgran Sun 09-Sep-18 20:36:42

Get a dishwasher then you can experience the dubious delight of watching him shove dirty plates in with the clean ones you haven't yet unloaded.

pollyperkins Sun 09-Sep-18 20:48:48

Jalima I do the same too when washing up by hand. But I would clear draining rack first but DH (when he does wash up which is rare) does tend to pile things on top. But I'm just grateful that he does it so don't say anything.

sodapop Sun 09-Sep-18 20:49:09

No I have to rinse and stack all the items which do not go in the dishwasher prior to washing up.
That made me laugh Merlot

annodomini Sun 09-Sep-18 21:08:19

I have a middle aged DS, normally sane, who would rather wash a bowlful of dishes than load them into the dishwasher! Having said that, their brand new and very high end dishwasher in their brand new kitchen has just gone on the blink, so he can wash up to his heart's content!

Beau Sun 09-Sep-18 21:14:41

I don't rinse anything under the tap but I do throw everything into a sink full of cold water as I go along so in effect I suppose that's rinsing off debris before I empty the sink and add hot water and washing up liquid.
But I just got my first dishwasher and washed my new set of induction hob saucepans today - turns out my dishwasher also dries the dishes - happy days ?

Lynne59 Sun 09-Sep-18 21:18:14

Most men don't think like we do. My answer to Sunday dinner and all that washing up is to go out for it. I cook all the rest of the week, (we have got a dishwasher - his idea, so that suits me too) and I think Sundays should be a relaxing day.

phoenix Sun 09-Sep-18 21:22:02

Can't face the upheaval to have a dishwasher installed, and enough that Mr P is he'll bent on changing the floor! blush

SueDonim Sun 09-Sep-18 21:28:39

Ah, I see. Yes, I'd clear the draining board first. I have a half sink as well as a full sink so I can rinse off as I go. But I'm lucky enough to have a dishwasher and a Dh who sees it as a challenge to fit everything into it so I'm free to go off and do what I like once I've eaten my meal.

Auntieflo Sun 09-Sep-18 22:20:14

My DH is good at loading the dishwasher and washing up odd bits and pieces. But, he has selective tunnel vision, so we often get a couple of glasses for example, left right beside the sink, in clear view??

Charleygirl Sun 09-Sep-18 22:26:51

Phoenix you should be grateful you do not have to give Mr. P a map to find the kitchen and that he knows you have running water there. Be thankful for small mercies.

paddyann Sun 09-Sep-18 23:11:06

we had a problem with our hot water so it was kettles to do dishes.I did them the old fashioned way,glasses first ,then saucers and cups and cleanish things and finish with the dirty pots .One bowl of hot water did the lot and I was so pleased I remembered the order that i was taught when I was very small ,Its surprising how much hot water we waste without thinking .

Synonymous Sun 09-Sep-18 23:33:12

Thats the way I was taught as well paddyann and I can still hear my mother repeating "a soaked pot is a half washed pot" which drives my DH potty (if you will pardon the pun!) as he cannot bear anything being left in the sink at any time. "Tough!" I say because sometimes you just need to sit with a nice coffee (and/or something stronger) after a meal and before you do the dishes.

I am grateful that DH will just get on with unloading the dishwasher but I always have to reorganise it when he tries loading it or else it would be run off when only half full. He doesn't seem to have the same spacial awareness as I do - wonder if that is a man thing?

SueDonim Mon 10-Sep-18 00:10:49

I don't think it's a man thing, Synonymous as my Dh is meticulous with loading the dishwasher. However, he is an engineer so everything must fit precisely and he'll rearrange things ten times until it does. grin

M0nica Mon 10-Sep-18 07:30:03

What would bother me is having DH start the washing up before I had even finished eating.

A meal, especially Sunday lunch, should be eaten in a relaxed manner and both should stay sitting at the table together until the meal is over. Having someone jump up and start the washing up, or even loading a dishwasher before I had finished eating, is not conducive to a relaxed enjoyable meal

JackyB Mon 10-Sep-18 07:51:39

OK so mine will

- enter kitchen, which is rather full of half-done stuff and the work tops covered in used equipment, teacups etc.
- pick up one item from the middle of the mess
- wash it in the water in the sink (greasy and cold)
- dry it on the towel
- replace it among the mess on the worktop

Whilst I am ashamed that my kitchen even got into such a state, I did actually witness the above scenario.

The usual situation however, is though-

- I tidy the kitchen, placing anything that needs washing by hand to the left of the sink
- I leave it like that, saving the washing up till there's a bit more to do.

DH will then wash up half of the items stacked (I've counted: If there are 6, he'll wash 3) The remainder is then distributed around the worktops.

Other things he only half does: I (once and once only!) asked him to hang out the washing from the machine as it would finish whilst I was at work. It was a load of whites. Next time I washed, it was a load with dark colours. When I took then out of the washing machine, there were still some of the whites in there, which had now gone grey.

Tidying anything away - half of the stuff is still left out.

We have four bins for separate types of rubbish. He will only ever empty 2 of them at a time, although I have demonstrated that with my tiny hands I can carry all four bags at once!

pollyperkins Mon 10-Sep-18 08:54:37

Synonymous I'm in complete agreement. After a cooked Sunday lunch I like to leave things (especially really dirty things) soaking while I sit down with a cup of coffee. Then I load the dishwasher and wash what won't fit in in fresh water. DH complains that I'm wasting water but he rarely does any washing up though he does sometimes empty the dishwasher.