Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How can someone get to Mr P's age..............

(50 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Sep-18 19:09:31

And not have grasped the fundamental, basic, let's face it, LOGICAL approach to washing up?

We have just finished our Sunday meal, in fact I was still finishing mine, as he approached the sink, turned on the tap and squirted some washing up liquid.

(BTW, we don't have a dishwasher)

So ladies, before you all tell me how lucky I am to have a husband, plus one that will tackle the washing up, can you understand my frustration ?

PECS Mon 10-Sep-18 09:18:27

Oh my! DH does a lot round the house so I should not grumble BUT.. tap on full blast, no plug, far too much washing up liquid so foam everywhere, items left to drain covered in suds etc etc! And he never ever clears the scruddy bits out of the sink hole drainer. Phew I feel better for that moan! grin

MiniMoon Mon 10-Sep-18 09:29:15

My DH doesn't do washing up either. We do have a dishwasher, but there are things that you can't put into it. Plus, there often isn't room as it's not very big.
My Granny taught me the correct order in which to wash dishes. Here's the way she did it,

1. Begin with the cutlery as the water is not, dry them quickly.
2. Glassware
3. Crockery.
4. Colanders and pans.

I never do it any other way.

MiniMoon Mon 10-Sep-18 09:29:54

Water is HOT

Fishpieplease Mon 10-Sep-18 10:04:28

Why does why DH declare that he’s done a thorough job with the washing up, leaving “just a couple of things to soak”(ie any dish that needs a little bit of it attention)?However,I cannot get him to stop picking up the cloth,wiping the surfaces,then putting said cloth down,without washing it before,or after. I’ve tried,unsuccessfully,to appreciate the artistic swirls of grease left on the work surfaces afterwards.

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Sep-18 10:19:35

How can someone get to Mr J's age and not realise that you have to empty the dirty water from the bowl and clean the sink after washing up?

And that if you put a plastic box into greasy water the grease clings to the plastic?

The message never gets through.
Of course, there is the saying that if you do a job badly, you won't be asked to do it again.
hmm

Scribbles Mon 10-Sep-18 10:36:11

I'd be really aggravated by anyone who started washing up while I was still eating.?

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Sep-18 10:40:58

I knew someone years ago whose MIL used to do that. She said it was extremely irritating.

Synonymous Mon 10-Sep-18 12:58:10

Jalima DS tried that one in his teens and we had to smike, grit our teeth and tell him "never mind, practice makes perfect". He is now having to do the same with his boys and commented on how hard it is to keep your cool! grin

Synonymous Mon 10-Sep-18 13:26:50

Smile! Sounds a tad agressive to say smike - probably OTT! confusedsmile

Bluegal Mon 10-Sep-18 15:56:01

Paddyann you made me laugh (again). I had totally forgotten my girl guide training in dishwashing smile That is EXACTLY what we were taught and what I too have carried on throughout life! Sadly my husband doesn't do same. I can't be arsed erm bothered pulling him up on it! So long as the dishes are washed I don't actually care but thank you for reminding me why I do it that way ha ha

callgirl1 Mon 10-Sep-18 18:03:59

My son-in-law washes all pans and anything else used in preparation before sitting down to eat, he then whips things off the table as they`re finished with and washes and dries them, before brewing a cup of tea or coffee. That was yesterday`s procedure, then the cups were whisked away to be washed before we had dessert

PECS Mon 10-Sep-18 18:47:49

callgirl1 he must be related to Mr PECS! I call him 'here's your hat, what's your hurry?'
I have to be very clear with him, that when we are having friends over, not to rush everything.. that sitting round the dining table and chatting, picking at bits left in the bowls is OK & not to clear the table the moment the last mouthful is eaten!

kittylester Mon 10-Sep-18 18:59:14

It's grounds for divorce to start clearing before I've finished eating!!

DD1'S husband seems to be uncharged of washing up at their house and puts the strangest things in the dishwasher but mostly hand washes! Odd!!

Dh empties the dishwasher in the mornings - it's the best way!!

agnurse Tue 11-Sep-18 05:37:49

We didn't have a dishwasher when I was growing up, and we were six kids, so I helped wash and dry a lot of dishes! Mum's approach was to start by soaking any pots or pans that were greasy and gross. She did this by filling them with water and adding dish soap. Next, she washed the glasses and cups, followed by the cutlery. Then the china - bowls, small plates, and big plates. After that came the serving dishes and utensils. Pots and pans were last, followed by the ashtray. (Mum smokes.)

Liz46 Tue 11-Sep-18 07:23:33

Can I start off by saying that I have been ill and my husband has been fantastic - but - if he loads the dishwasher, the dishes are often touching each other so don't get cleaned. The plughole in the sink will be full of food and after any hand washing, he will leave the greasy water in the bowl so that it takes ages for me to get it clean. I have learned to go into the kitchen when he has finished to repair the damage before it all 'sets'.

kittylester Tue 11-Sep-18 09:41:19

A chap I volunteer with always wipes round the sink, draining board and washing up bowl when he's finished. I salute his wife on her training.

callgirl1 Tue 11-Sep-18 16:27:34

My husband just didn`t wash up, period. He dried occasionally though.

Synonymous Tue 11-Sep-18 18:05:14

Liz46 hope you are feeling much better. flowers My DH is also a blessing but I also understand about things 'setting'. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Sep-18 18:07:24

I salute his wife on her training.
I'd like to know how she did it, because some are resistant to training (even after 50+ years).

Rufus2 Wed 12-Sep-18 03:21:01

Most men don't think like we do
Thank Goodness! grin Anyone would think the kitchen is a torture chamber with constant supervision by trained guards. It's a place to wash dishes and cutlery and doesn't require tertiary qualifications.
I'm a self-taught ace washer-upper and one vital piece of advice , for which I've received endless plaudits (and rapped knuckles!), when washing spoons is to place them in the drying rack "upside down". This prevents the formation of horrible nasty stains. sad
Of course you all know that items touching the mouth get washed first and you can't ensure that with a dishwasher.
Washing/drying up together is a perfect opportunity to chat! wink

Synonymous Wed 12-Sep-18 11:19:32

Rufus2 we all have continuing tertiary education until the day we "shuffle off this mortal coil" and it is that which can make life harmonious. That said I think that most of the contributions are lighthearted, we are all different - vive le difference! grin
Chatting whilst undertaking any task makes it enjoyable and it seems to get done much faster. My DM had a tough furrow to plough on her own as my father never set foot in a kitchen unless it was to pass through or critcise. hmm Thank goodness my DMIL taught my DH to enjoy cooking etc. and to look after himself and others, I will always be grateful to her for that - and much more!

Willow500 Wed 12-Sep-18 13:07:03

Mr W is pretty good at washing up when he does it but has no idea how to use the dishwasher - on the odd occasion I've been away from home I've had to make sure it's been on and emptied before I go or it would still be there when I got home. Likewise the washing machine. He does start clearing the table before I've finished which is annoying especially if we have had visitors and the other thing which is very irritating is wiping the surfaces down by running the cloth under the tap instead of using hot water and washing up liquid especially if it's been something greasy.

Really shouldn't grumble though - I'm sure I annoy him with my habits too grin

Rufus2 Wed 12-Sep-18 14:04:18

most of the contributions are lighthearted
Synonymous; Please regard this one in the same light! grin But I was leaping to the defence of DHs and others who seem to be falling foul of all the Nigella look-alikes. sad
You could blame their mothers I suppose who must have given up on their facts-of- life kitchen training (following the potty-training years!) Perhaps they cheated during their job interviews. grin

Liz46 Sat 15-Sep-18 11:18:37

Synonymous, thank you. That was kind of you.