Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do you stop being lonely?

(104 Posts)
lemonade Thu 13-Sep-18 11:26:22

Hello, I'm fairly new to this site so please go gentle. I've been divorced for over 15 years and although I see my daughter and my grandson once or twice a week, and meet up regularly with a few friends, I still am sometimes overwhelmed with loneliness. There are times I'm very content on my own but there are also days where I struggle not being able to share the minutiae of my day with someone. You try and be upbeat with friends and my family are just too busy for everyday stuff. What would you suggest?

Menopaws Mon 26-Nov-18 17:44:03

Welcome Lemonade, I hope you have seen the company of gransnet, it really helps.

Tansy Thu 29-Nov-18 00:31:02

Smiley4 - would it be worth asking, say, the leader at one of your groups if they had any insight? Pretty hard to do, I grant you.

Pythagorus Thu 29-Nov-18 07:58:31

Reading through the posts, Made me question how I deal with the things others who live alone have mentioned.
Firstly, having someone to talk to at the end of the day. I have a neighbour who lives alone and two or three times a week we join each other at 6pm at his house or mine for. G and t. We chat for an hour and he goes home. Occasionally we have dinner together. He is a diy expert which is always useful. On other nights I téléphone one of my good friends or they call me and chat on the phone for an hour. I also play Words with Friends online in the evening with another friend. These tactics are almost as good as having someone in the house with you. I also invite someone to my house for a simple lunch at least once a week. I think in order to have a friend, you first have to be a friend. It’s about making the first move. Then it goes from there. Of course we don’t click with every person .... but if you throw enough mud at the wall, some will stick! So my advice is be proactive if you want comapny and friends. Go for what you want.