Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retirement Gift Ideas

(30 Posts)
Melanieeastanglia Wed 19-Sep-18 23:18:53

Vouchers for the theatre perhaps.

Does she like books? Perhaps a book about her home town, especially if she happens to not live there any more. I bought one for someone once and it went down well.

Subscription to a magazine possibly.

Bridgeit Wed 19-Sep-18 19:51:57

Ahh,that no Good then Clementine, Jewellery is good,
Or would she enjoy a spa session or manicure etc
Iā€™m sure she will like what ever you decide on,best wishes

clementine Wed 19-Sep-18 19:44:31

Thanks for that suggestion Bridgeit, it's a brilliant one , but her daughter who is very talented has put together one for her , and also written a poem for us to read out at the " do "

Bridgeit Wed 19-Sep-18 19:34:34

Sounds like a lady who may enjoy a memory book of photos & anecdotes from your long friendship.

clementine Wed 19-Sep-18 19:31:51

Hi everyone , one of my best friend's has retired and I wanted to buy her a personal gift as I have also retired but quite a while ago so wasn't able to contribute to the main gift , and anyway I would still want to buy her something myself .

Problem is , she never wears makeup , perfume I think , but that's a very personal thing, and has no hobbies or interests that I could buy something for . Her life revolves round caring for her six grandchildren and she places herself very low down the list of priorities so I would really like to treat her to something special. I know she would hate any kind of beauty treatment and is inclined to give things she's been bought to her daughters .

I am leaning towards jewellery , I teamed up with another friend and we bought her a watch for her 60th which she loved , so I know that jewellery might be a safe bet. Just wondered if there was anything else that anyone could perhaps suggest. Many thanks .