Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Brillo pad packaging

(33 Posts)
Nannymags27 Fri 05-Oct-18 12:54:02

Is it me, or is the packaging for Brillo pads the most annoying thing? Why is it like that? What’s wrong with a box?!

Maybelle Fri 05-Oct-18 12:58:06

I agree, tend to unwrap and put into plastic box to ensure they stay dry, don't crumble and get messy in the cupboard.

ninathenana Fri 05-Oct-18 16:18:15

I keep mine in an empty laundry pod box........after I've used scissors to extract them from the original packaging !
Agreed, why not a cardboard box. Dare I mention plastic waste ?

DanniRae Sat 06-Oct-18 08:55:06

Wow, last time I bought Brillo pads they were in a cardboard box. I got fed up with them going rusty so now buy the metal scouring pads that are silver coloured and not impregnated with anything. They do the job.........but to be honest I hardly do any washing up because I cook and my husband does the washing up (even on the night that he cooks!) grin

Marycat2 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:13:19

Not only is the packaging bad but does anyone else find they dont last as long within about of opening they seem to loose all there soapy foam

FlexibleFriend Sat 06-Oct-18 10:19:05

I didn't even know they still made brillo pads. I obviously don't have a use for them as I hadn't missed them.

Grampie Sat 06-Oct-18 10:19:08

Brillo was pretty good at unpacking our politicians.

Where is he these days?

Teetime Sat 06-Oct-18 10:32:47

I cant open any packaging these days without scissors or a knife.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 11:08:16

Dare I mention plastic waste ?
Yes, you dare ninathenana
What is wrong with a cardboard box?

I tend not to buy them these days

quizqueen Sat 06-Oct-18 11:57:40

For those who complain (rightly) about plastic waste, think equally of all the trees which have to be felled to produce paper. It's a no win situation . The only solution is to drastically decrease the numbers of the human race who use and waste both of these materials.

Jaycee5 Sat 06-Oct-18 12:49:17

quizqueen. That is true but it would be a good start for people to stop unnecessary usage. I am going to start a campaign against sous vide machines in restaurants. Is there a more pointless use of plastic? - and virtually every cookery competition on the BBC seems to use them. If you work out the figures, assuming that only 50% of restaurants use them and only 25% of customers order something made in one, that is still billions of bags each year.

Aepgirl Sat 06-Oct-18 13:06:27

What are 'sous vide' machines, and what have they got to do with Brillo pads?

I dislike the way Brillo pads are packed now as they are so hard to store.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 14:22:21

We need to plant more trees for many reasons.

Jaycee5 Sat 06-Oct-18 15:16:59

Aepgirl I replied conversationally to someone who had made a comment about plastic. It is what Stephen Fry calls 'taking a conversation for a walk'.
Don't worry, I am sure there will be plenty of talk about Brillo pads.

wot Sat 06-Oct-18 15:38:02

I am a cheapskate, so I cut mine in half!

Elegran Sat 06-Oct-18 15:41:26

Hardwood trees like oak, ash, beech or even birch are safe from papermaking. Paper isn't made by cutting down forests of longlived hardwoods, it is made from plantations of fast-growing soft woods, which are replanted like any other crop.

Elegran Sat 06-Oct-18 15:44:28

Aepgirl Sous vide machines are a kind of upmarket restaurant-sized version of boil-in-the-bag, much used for cooking single portions or reheating portions of precooked dishes.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 06-Oct-18 16:08:07

Elegran, although paper is made from conifers grown as crops won't the demand for more paper and cardboard increase the need for more conifer plantations, at the possible risk to native forests?
I remember the uproar in the 70s over the likes of Terry Wogan and Cliff Richard investing in these plantations.

Elegran Sat 06-Oct-18 16:54:26

When it can be used no more, paper and cardboard rot and disintegrate. Plastic bottles don't rot for 450 years - if Shakespeare or Good Queen Bess had thrown away an empty plastic bottle it would still be around. Some plastics, like that used in plastic bags, could last even longer, up to 1000 years. If William the Conqueror had kept his arrows in a poly bag, it could still be where he tossed it away at Battle.

Paper is one of the things that can be pretty universally recycled into more paper, or into cardboard packaging, which itself can be recycled, though using cardboard boxes again and again to transport or store other goods is more sensible than using energy to recycle clean once-used boxes.

Reuse and don't overuse to start with should be the rule. When my children were young, all bits of paper that were blank on one side were saved for them to scribble or paint on. Left-over wallpaper was great for big paintings. Cardboard boxes were flattened and saved for packaging parcels in December. Now, recycling bins (and landfill bins!) are full of boxes, and sheets and sheets of almost pristine paper are thrown in, while ££££s are spent on new packaging (some of it made from those same rejected boxes, using expensive energy) and pads of virgin drawing paper, made from that same paper (using energy and bleach) .

This is the era of the throwaway society and built-in obsolescence.

Daisyboots Sat 06-Oct-18 17:26:01

I didnt onow Brillo pads were still sold. I never liked the feel and smell of them so have not been in my cupboard for many years. The wire balls are much better and cleaner to me.

ayokunmi1 Sat 06-Oct-18 19:46:00

I love brillo pads gets the sink as well as pots all sparkly ..the package now is awful but prefer it for washing pans ..its still a good old faithful and its cheap is vim still sold does anyone still use that

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 20:03:58

Vim!
My mother used that to clean the bath and basin as well as the sink with Vim or Ajax. She probably scoured the surfaces away as she was a very thorough and enthusiastic cleaner; I did not inherit that gene.

Kim19 Sat 06-Oct-18 20:05:11

wot, delighted to read your economical habit. Me too. Simply cut off the size I need for the job in question. Been doing this for years. Perfect.

ayokunmi1 Sat 06-Oct-18 21:13:30

Remeber that in the days before health and safety once in a whille we would use vim to brush our teeth usex to give them a white sparkle lol

Theoddbird Sat 06-Oct-18 22:31:13

I bought 3 dozen fabric cloths from Homebase. I use them for all sorts. They are used and thrown in washing machine. I rarely use the roll of paper towel. I am sure I have some brillo pads but can't remember the last time I used them...