Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Brillo pad packaging

(34 Posts)
Nannymags27 Fri 05-Oct-18 12:54:02

Is it me, or is the packaging for Brillo pads the most annoying thing? Why is it like that? What’s wrong with a box?!

4allweknow Sun 07-Oct-18 00:45:49

As the subject of trees for paper has been mentioned, paper used to be made from cotton rags. Perhaps we should stop producibg all the synthetic fible clothing, bedding etc in order to use the rags for papermaking. Most clothing goes into landfill if it cznt be recycled.

Grandma2213 Sun 07-Oct-18 01:09:38

Cutting brillo pads in half? I only use them for cleaning oven shelves and the like. As posted on another thread my oven is cleaned so rarely it usually takes almost a whole pack anyway. They don't do as much as they used to do IMO ie the soapy frothy bits soon go. The thought of cleaning my oven has caused me to reach for a glass (or more) of sherry so I probably don't make sense any more.

ayokunmil| I remember vim but never cleaned my teeth with it. We did use salt when we ran out of toothpaste though and my dentist blamed my over zealous mother for wearing down the enamel on my teeth with over enthusiastic brushing!

Willow500 Sun 07-Oct-18 06:51:54

Can't remember the last time I bought Brillo pads so didn't know they were no longer in a box - I always found they disintegrated and all the bits ended up in the sink but I also used to cut them in half.

I used to clean at a couple of guest houses when I was a teenager and used Vim to clean all the bedroom sinks (long before the days of en-suite rooms) can still remember the smell - clean and fresh. I use a cleaner in a tub now which lasts forever and seems to do the same job without scratching the surfaces.

Auntieflo Sun 07-Oct-18 08:31:33

Elegran I have just read this thread and just loved your remark about sous vide, being an upmarket boil-in-the-bag meal. That's exactly what I thought. grin

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:06:40

Brillo pads set my teeth on edge if I use them
(no, I don't use them to clean my teeth, only pans - and extremely rarely!)

Alima Sun 07-Oct-18 15:16:40

Last time I bought Brillo Pads they were in a box. Says a lot for the state of my oven. Though I do avoid using it of course.

Nannymags27 Mon 08-Oct-18 22:29:00

So glad I asked about Brillo pads! What a wide-ranging discussion has ensued. From Brillo to sous vide to types of tree to cleaning your teeth. Love it ?!

Urmstongran Wed 10-Oct-18 09:04:10

I liked the post about ‘talking a conversation for a walk’. Love how it describes the gradual sea change in topics!