Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where does the time go!

(65 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 18-Oct-18 12:13:41

Since retiring, in my case 10 years ago, we have never been so busy. It's a cliche but true, there is so much to do. I find it hard to find the time to be the kind of gran I'd like to be for our 7 DGC and to do even half the things I want to do in my later years. How do you all manage?

Barmeyoldbat Fri 19-Oct-18 19:05:24

Greenfinch, I iron and I think your comments to Gillybob were very unkind unnecessary.

peaceatlast Fri 19-Oct-18 18:45:33

I’m so busy I can’t keep up with myself! For nine years, one or two days a week, I’ve cared for my grandchildren. In September 2020, when I turn 69, the youngest starts school and I intend to move from the house they know and love and move to the seaside, my heart’s desire. However, due to my daughter’s marriage break up and in the interest of continuity for my grandchildren, I’m seriously considering putting this on hold. Rightly or wrongly, but it’s a real dilemma right now. Mine or everyone else’s needs? It’s difficult. Problems I never anticipated. I’ve loved being here for them but what to do?

PECS Fri 19-Oct-18 18:16:05

I know people who love ironing.. just not me! I think Gilly is a Martha of this world.. always busy and sorting things out and helping people. I do my fair share but not as much as gilly who is not boastful or matyrish.. she just seems to get on with it!

Greenfinch Fri 19-Oct-18 18:10:18

I think you are being unkind Saggi. Gillybob does not brag or moan. She is totally devoted to her family and does her best for them. And yes I still do ironing and quite enjoy it actually.

Saggi Fri 19-Oct-18 17:08:32

Gillybob...have you heard the word martyr ....some people like being them so they can brag or moan...I think you’re one! And IRONING!, people still DO that!?

Mapleleaf Fri 19-Oct-18 16:03:32

Nothing to feel guilty about at all, Jane10.
I love taking time out to read or watch tv. The chores and jobs get done as necessary, but I do not feel in the least bit guilty about reading or watching tv when the mood strikes, and neither should you! ??

Barmeyoldbat Fri 19-Oct-18 16:01:33

I can't fit everything in and the one thing that goes is an overtly clean house I am afraid. I was a young gran and now all my gcd are grown up I don't have any care duties and both sets of parents died some time ago. So I fill my time doing what I like. I have taken up hobbies that I dropped because of lack of time, at the moment I am glass hangings for the Christmas tree. Also joined a cycling club, Breeze, for women of all abilities and ages and love it. Willow, after a few months you will wonder how you ever had time for work. You can also enjoy a long lie in when ever you want.

Tillybelle Fri 19-Oct-18 14:54:31

I know!! I never finish everything I had planned each day! How did I ever go out to work?

I do love being at home now though even though I am limited by disability and pain. I also cherish time to myself. It is so peaceful. It makes seeing my family all the more precious.

Grammaretto Fri 19-Oct-18 14:33:09

I'm having to book an appt with my DH for a half day out.
I think that's the problem. When you aren't employed, and in theory have spare time, its too easy to say you can be home for tradesmen etc
I've been waiting in for a tree surgeon and a roofer. The roofer is now not coming till Monday and the tree surgeon? Where are you?

Cabbie21 Fri 19-Oct-18 13:55:30

Currently feeling very constricted as one or both of us is staying in as we have decorators in. There is no room to move, as stuff has had to be moved to clear the space. Can’t get to my laptop or do a jigsaw. Can’t just run upstairs for something I need.
Makes me appreciate my usual freedom to come and go, get out and about, do voluntary work, go for a drive, meet friends, go to events, church, go for walks.... whatever.
Where does the time go indeed? Currently wasting/ spending far too much time on my iPad.

Alypoole Fri 19-Oct-18 12:40:40

Can’t believe where this year had gone. Gch have different half terms so next is full with them. The week after is totally crammed with lunches etc. Now walking the dog in the Gower-it’s all good smile

Craftycat Fri 19-Oct-18 12:36:38

I make sure I leave plenty of 'ME' time.

DH still has many years to work being younger than I am so I am making sure I do what I want before I have to become a 24/7 couple.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-Oct-18 12:30:05

Many many years ago I worked with a lady who came back to work but only part time after early retirement. She claimed she enjoyed the work and company but also did not feel so guilty in saying 'no' to those who assumed she had all the time in the world to help them with their various causes and interests as after all 'she was retired'.

Juggernaut Fri 19-Oct-18 12:07:21

We've just come home from two weeks holiday, a wonderful time of basically watching the world go by!
It made us both realise how much we do for other folk, and how little time we have to ourselves, but we won't always be needed for as many things, so.......

kittylester Fri 19-Oct-18 12:04:50

Aren't days like that great, Jane?

Jane10 Fri 19-Oct-18 11:20:46

I was feeling racked with guilt yesterday as all I had to do beyond ordinary chores was read or watch TV. I've been retired now for almost 4 years and most days are meaningfully occupied one way or another but with the occasional slack lapses like yesterday. Lovely!

Kim19 Fri 19-Oct-18 10:55:53

I absolutely love retirement but it takes huge courage (I find) to say to no to requests for help and voluntary stuff which I would sometimes prefer not to do. Getting better. Even managed to resign from a 7 year commitment last month. Wowwee! Finding 'free' time to do absolutely nothing can be difficult but both wonderful and reinvigorating when it happens. Think I have some looming next week. Bring it on!

kittylester Fri 19-Oct-18 10:43:48

DH and I were talking about this yesterday. He retired 2 years ago with great plans of walking the Leicestershire Round and The National Forest, doing another degree and volunteering. Well - he does do the volunteering bit. I think he should halve his volunteering commitments.

I never had a proper job, working a bit for Dh when necessary but have always volunteered. Nothingg much has changed for me except I have more childminding responsibilities!!

We have a big family and meet friends but we never manage to find the time to go to the cinema and have not had a proper holiday this year because we are so busy..

And I love it!!

Coconut Fri 19-Oct-18 10:25:55

My juggling skills are second to none ? and my diary is full up .... I love it as it’s all stuff I choose to do instead of what I have to do ???‍♀️?‍♂️?

Grandma59 Fri 19-Oct-18 10:20:33

I do not know where time goes and I honestly don’t know how I found time to go to work before I retired. No sooner is it Monday then it seems to jump to Sunday as the week is so full what with GC, seeing friends and family, lunches out.

Harris27 Fri 19-Oct-18 10:06:05

Yous all give me hope I have four grandchildren and don't see them as often as I want as I am still working and work school holidays s well. Got another 6 years before pension if I live that long ha ha!

NannyJan53 Fri 19-Oct-18 08:43:39

I retired May of last year, and I really do not know where the time has gone,

As NanKate as mentioned, U3A, meeting friends for coffee/lunch, gardening, holidays (3 this year and a short break to Krakow), reading, gym, walking group. Oh yes, and cinema in the daytime (£3.00 and a cuppa and biscuit smile .

Then there is always the odd call of 'can you collect the girls from school today'?

I do not miss work at all !

NanKate Fri 19-Oct-18 08:04:46

Willow within a few months you will wonder how you fitted in work.

Here are a few suggestions

U3A
WI
Voluntary work
Gardening
Meeting up with friends
Cinema in the daytime, how decadent ?
Short holidays
Reading books

I could go on and on. Enjoy your retirement.

Willow500 Fri 19-Oct-18 07:45:48

My 'retirement' (redundancy) is looming at the end of the year and with no children to look after I'm wondering how I'll fill the time. However as the work has virtually all but dried up now I seem to have a lot of time on my hands which I'm struggling to fill. I think mostly due to the feeling I have to be near the pc in case I'm needed - hopefully once the ties are cut I'll be able to go out and do other things.

Gillybob I know your situation and can only echo everyone else - you need to try to find some time for yourself even if it's only an hour in the bath x

gillybob Thu 18-Oct-18 22:09:32

My grandma always used to say that time was relative to your age . When you are a child time moves slowly but speeds up as you get older . At 99 she said a day to her, was no more than the blink of an eye . smile